CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
KaneisAble
GamecockSuperFan
DTGCOCKS#32
ShutTheSuccop
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
The Yancey
Pw00132
HBC Weekly Presser (1341)
Thompson Has Neck In (1169)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (639)
What fish do you eat (599)
KY Suspends 4 Player (525)
Clowney didnt get ma (450)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (422)
4th & 1 Play (372)
Request (288)
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
One player could have cha
Funny?
State talent drying up
QB Recruiting Strategy
HBC Weekly Presser
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Thompson Has Neck Injury

Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Bandwagon Fans

Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit
Default Re: Bandwagon Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Bandwagon fans, I would like to say that once Frank Martin turns our program around, please do not bother coming to games. It's going to take Frank just as much time as it did Spurrier to make us top competitors in the SEC. Maybe not even that long but he will get it done. Support the program now! It really needs it. Go Cocks!
On one level, I agree with your sentiment. The fair weather fans, especially the ones who show up and act like they've been there all along, can be annoying.

But on another level, I believe the Gamecock basketball fan base has been so eroded over the years by poor teams, unpopular coaches (and some flat-out bad ones), and a general lack of commitment to the sport by the Ath Dept (historically speaking), that there aren't many die hards left. In order to build back a once robust following, we'll need to welcome the bandwagon fans and hope some of them stick around if times get lean again.

My opinion though. Take it for what it's worth.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 540
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

I feel bad for Frank Martin, Horn really set the program back
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Yeah, we like the arena empty. By your definition just about all our fans are bandwagon fans. They show up for football, they show up baseball, they are showing up for women's basketball now. Why aren't they showing up for men's basketball? These are the South Carolina fans, if that bothers you... oh well. You DO want them back because there is no one else, so it's wise to insult them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Telling "bandwagon fans" not to follow our basketball team is sorta wild... at this point we should take all the fans we can get
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

If Martin turns it around, it will take less time than it took Spurrier. Basketball can change on one recruit (plus a big man with some true ability.) IMO that recruit is a freshman on our team right now in Thornwell. If he progresses like he should, and I do believe him and Martin are completely on the same page, we should be better next year and a solid team by his junior season.

I was there on Saturday, and even though we went as cold as you can possibly go, you could still see that we're doing MUCH more than we did under Horn. Couple that with the fact that one of our point guards is out for the season with an injury and the other was in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine, and you can tell that things are pointed in the right direction. Even though our record and some results might not speak it at the moment.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

It doesn't matter what schools you go to, fans disappear when their team is terrible. That is just a fact of life.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
jellafever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Telling "bandwagon fans" not to follow our basketball team is sorta wild... at this point we should take all the fans we can get
Can't we force some juvenile miscreants to put on a garnet shirt and cheer for our team in exchange for some community service time served???

Why do you think prison colors are orange? Clemson figured this out long ago.
jellafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

If there are no bandwagon fans the CLA will never get filled up.Another thread complains that it's too empty. This tells bandwagoners not to show up.

LOL at this thread.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

Yes let's be a top 15 program with the crowd we have now. If you aren't going to games now definitely don't come when we are winning. Then we can have a thread about our basketball team finally becoming elite and we still can't get a packed house.
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
So you don't want people to show up when the team is winning either. I guess you disagree with Dawn Staley's push to fill the arena for the girls since there were probably a few thousand there Sunday that have probably never been to a Women's Basketball game. What about baseball, should we kick out everybody who we don't remember from the Sarge?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 46222
jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

I guess I am a "bandwagoner"; however, I have multiple things demanding my time as I am sure many others have so if I am going to take in games of any sort, my return on investment needs to be somewhat "profitable". Nonetheless, here is a link to an article that I read a couple years ago that sums up my frustration with USC men's basketball.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...012-a-timeline

FWIW, I feel that Frank Martin will get this turned around. Nonetheless, I still wish we got Gregg in here, not sure why that didn't happen!!!
jrussjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

I'll be honest I haven't gone to a basketball game in a couple of years. I think I have more of a problem with the college basketball system than anything else. The regular season just doesnt matter at all. All 14 teams automatically play in the SEC tournament and whoever wins gets an automatic berth to the dance. I know its obviously HIGHLY unlikely we win the tourney, but the fact is we are still alive to make the dance when we shouldn't be. That fact alone just devalues the whole season to me. I dont watch any college basketball until March. That's one reason why I love college football so much (every game matters so much). If football had a 64/68 team playoff I probably wouldn't watch every single game and losses wouldnt mean as much.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

I bet if you asked Ray Tanner what he thinks about bandwagon fans he would tell you he loves them. They pay the bills & fill the stadiums. I bet if you asked Dawn Staley about bandwagon fans she would agree.
snruter amabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I'll be honest I haven't gone to a basketball game in a couple of years. I think I have more of a problem with the college basketball system than anything else. The regular season just doesnt matter at all. All 14 teams automatically play in the SEC tournament and whoever wins gets an automatic berth to the dance. I know its obviously HIGHLY unlikely we win the tourney, but the fact is we are still alive to make the dance when we shouldn't be. That fact alone just devalues the whole season to me. I dont watch any college basketball until March. That's one reason why I love college football so much (every game matters so much). If football had a 64/68 team playoff I probably wouldn't watch every single game and losses wouldnt mean as much.
Yep, even more so when you talk about pro-sports other than football. You can skip the entire regular season and 3/4 of the post season. With the NBA you really only need to tune in for the last 5 minutes of the post season elimination games. You can throw at games 1-3 right out of the gate.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
tigertime86
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 490
tigertime86 has hatched from the shell

Clemson used to have a problem with attendance when we were bad at basketball. Now we have a packed house every game and one of the most intimidating environments in college basketball. It's hard to tell who the fair weather fans were now
tigertime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

I'm pretty sure most folks posting on this message board about our basketball team don't qualify as bandwagon fans. Most of my family and friends gave up on our basketball team long ago, and they don't have the slightest inclination to post about the team online.

I also find it ridiculous when certain people insist they are better fans than others because they are positive about the team. We are the worst basketball program in the SEC and one of the worst in the country. We all have our own coping mechanisms with how awful the program is. Some are positive. Some are negative. I'm not going to pretend that one person's coping mechanism is better than another's. I won't blame anyone for being negative or paying less attention. Who can blame them? We're all just trying to cope with one of the most under-achieving, disappointing, and flat-out-bad basketball programs in America.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Football has a lot of bandwagon fans .. Basketball has been bad for so long we need all the fans we can get

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #19
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
I'm pretty sure most folks posting on this message board about our basketball team don't qualify as bandwagon fans. Most of my family and friends gave up on our basketball team long ago, and they don't have the slightest inclination to post about the team online.

I also find it ridiculous when certain people insist they are better fans than others because they are positive about the team. We are the worst basketball program in the SEC and one of the worst in the country. We all have our own coping mechanisms with how awful the program is. Some are positive. Some are negative. I'm not going to pretend that one person's coping mechanism is better than another's. I won't blame anyone for being negative or paying less attention. Who can blame them? We're all just trying to cope with one of the most under-achieving, disappointing, and flat-out-bad basketball programs in America.
A. I agree with you
B. Lou Holtz took over a similar football team not all that long ago & between him & Spurrier (mainly Spurrier) we have achieved great things
C. Dawn Staley was in a similar position.

It takes some time, but I think Frank Martin will eventually get it done.
snruter amabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
No way. I turn on ESPN every Saturday there is always a game with loud fan bases going nuts. They're excited about their team because they are competitive and it probably the best sport those teams have. You can't expect to have that atmosphere just because you want it to be like that at ever game. Let's see how good that Kansas and Illinois and Maryland football crowd is compared to ours.