CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Regalcock
BiscoCocky
yazoo
StormOfTalons
b381l
robgusc76
The Yancey
Gamecockswag
TheUniversityofSC
GoldenSpur7
I'm not buying the h (2016)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (1321)
SL,UT Gamecocks (1290)
Wow! barely a comme (908)
SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAY (792)
Howdy! - Tailgating (701)
Greetings from ECU F (485)
Nice Article With Ke (462)
Clemson 1st string R (396)
35 Things You Need T (300)
OBC banner being added to
2 back sets
2014 Signee - Darin Small
SHOULD GAMECOCK PLAYERS B
Kentucky 2013 full game v
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 - Bradrick Shaw
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
New Sign at Williams Bric
Season tickets?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudly
Default After Brenton...

who will be our most productve outside shooter next year?
I'm encouraged at point by the return of Tyrone and arrival of Marcus Stroman.
Will Thornwell take over at 2 or 3? Does either TeMarcus or Shamiek have the range or could Jaylen get productive minutes at 2? Although he had problems at point, Jaylen seems like the best 3 point shooter of the returning players.
carolinacocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: After Brenton...

I haven't seen enough of Stroman or Blanton to form an opinion on their outside shooting. As it stands for next year's team right now, I would want Thornwell taking the shot if we're in a spot where we had to have a 3 pointer.

I'd really like to see Thornwell (about 35%) and Notice (30%) improve their outside shot. If Notice could get to 35% and Thornwell to 38%-40%, that would give us 2 really tough matchups. Step back on defense and they could drain a 3 on you; guard them close and they'll drive it on you.

Last edited by markymark550; 03-11-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: damn you autocorrect
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

carolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudly

Agree that if Thornwell improved his outside % he would really pose problems because of his driving, ability to finish & 70%+ free throw shooting.

This year so far, Shaw is shooting .429 this year on 3's (Brenton at .431 & Ty at .421). I have season Men's BB tix saw all but two home games in person. To me Shaw's form & shot look the best of our returners and we're going to need someone to step up since we're losing our best outside shot in Brenton.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

We should hopefully have more guys that can penetrate the defense and dish to open players whether it is for an outside shot or in the paint. I think next year we will see our offense pick up and be a lot more versatile.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Who exactly are you referring to? Thornwell sure has lived up to the hype.
Thornwell has been great. Had to take over the point and still be 2nd leading scorer (and it seems to me he's taken leadership of the team) as a freshman. Our inside shooting, however, has not been up to par.

In conference play, USC is shooting 37%+ from 3 pont range and under 41% for all shots. Our league opponents are 35%+ from 3 and 45%+ on all shots. So we have shot better than average from 3 but less than average overall.

Have been to all but 2 home games this year and don't know our our under 5 feet % is, but whatever it is it's "turrible" to say the least. In one game we lost (Manhattan, I think) we missed 10+ layups in the second half alone.

In conference games, if we had averaged the league overall shooting % we would have made 45 more shots... 90 points if they were all 2 pointers. (though we would have less offensive rebounds so wouldn't have had quite 45 more shots). 90 points spread out over the season could have turned a few of those close losses around.

I believe if we had been able to shoot just the average league % on layups/close to the basket we would have ended up with an overall record @ .500. Three close losses changed to three close wins turns 13-19 into 16-16... and many of us would be talking about the team's improvement.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Thornwell
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

L Chat has range. Big man has that no arc butter stroke.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
no arc butter stroke.
If I were to start up a band, this is what I'd name it. This sounds delicious and awesome yet perverted for some weird reason.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Jaylen Shaw.

Kid can ball and shoot his ass off and is a big time competitor. Shot 42% from three this season and 87% from the free throw line. If he gets the minutes, he'll give us some of what Brenton did going forward.

None of the new commits we have coming in are really perimeter shooters.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote