CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
KaneisAble
QCB
doubledribble
markp_vip
ReadR00ster
roosterdude21
Roosterboy
Jmansour333
The Yancey
Busta out indefinite (2216)
SOS says his next st (1828)
Our Defense? (1183)
CBSSports SEC predic (917)
CFN prediction for a (451)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (425)
MMA: Holeve (Down Sy (363)
SEC Football Legend: (361)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (357)
Our Defense?
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
2016 Thon Marker
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Does South Carolina still
Roll call for Auburn
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rest of the season predic

Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #21
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 SEC Tournament:**USC vs. Tennessee GAME Thread**

Defend the perimeter and rebound.....then we have a chance.

I'm afraid we will go zone and Tennessee will light us up from the outside. Good thing is the longer we stay in the game the tighter Tennessee will get.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #22
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism7d4 View Post
For the experts out there do we have any shot to receive a NIT bid if we win today?
Since the NCAA took over the NIT, I don't think there's actually a rule that says they won't take a sub-.500 team, although they haven't yet. I think it's basically an extension of the NCAA selection process. They have their own auto-bids (regular season champs who didn't win their tourney) and then continue on down the list using RPI as primary guideline.

I'm wondering if the CBI would be an option. They HAVE taken sub-.500 power conference teams in the past. Normally, I wouldn't want to play in the CBI, but considering how young this team is and how well they've played for the most part lately, I think I'd be okay with any option to extend the season.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #23
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
When is the last time we reached the semis in the SEC tourney?
06 when we beat Kentucky to go to the Championship game against Florida.

UT is a horrible matchup. A bigger better version of LSU. They're huge. As it's been stated already, Brenton Williams needs to drop 25. Thornwell needs to be Thornwell. But even then that won't be enough. Chat and Carrera need to have big games.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #24
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

They are going to over play the perimeter just like Arky did yesterday. It will be tough to get many uncontested 3's off. We will have to take the ball to the rim, offensive rebound and get to the foul line on offense. On D, we have to rebound and defend with more physicality. LChat 0 fouls yesterday. lean on them more. Beat on them more. Pick up a couple fouls. Our guards do a great job of this now.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #25
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

We need a scoring game similar to auburn. Need Williams, thornwell, and notice to be big scorers. Also need l chat and kachinas to continue giving us tons of
Rebounds and stick back points/FTs. UT is very hot right now and unless we play a complete game we lose by 15+ unfortunately. UT will be a scary out in the real tourney too. Why is it UT is a bad matchup for us on everything?

Last edited by rosstheboss; 03-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
rosstheboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #26
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Crazy Stat from Twitter:
Andy Demetra ‏@GamecockRadio
Gotta love the postseason. Laimonas Chatkevicius has gone 15-18 FT in the SEC Tournament. He went 13-23 FT the entire regular season.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

If we score 1 more point than they do...we win

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
06 when we beat Kentucky to go to the Championship game against Florida.

UT is a horrible matchup. A bigger better version of LSU. They're huge. As it's been stated already, Brenton Williams needs to drop 25. Thornwell needs to be Thornwell. But even then that won't be enough. Chat and Carrera need to have big games.
Yes, Florida was national champs that year and we won the NIT.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #29
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
Yep. Lost by 2. Tre had a 3 blocked at the buzzer to win.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 28459
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
If we score 1 more point than they do...we win
^^^^THIS^^^^

jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #31
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheorysc View Post
Since the NCAA took over the NIT, I don't think there's actually a rule that says they won't take a sub-.500 team, although they haven't yet. I think it's basically an extension of the NCAA selection process. They have their own auto-bids (regular season champs who didn't win their tourney) and then continue on down the list using RPI as primary guideline.

I'm wondering if the CBI would be an option. They HAVE taken sub-.500 power conference teams in the past. Normally, I wouldn't want to play in the CBI, but considering how young this team is and how well they've played for the most part lately, I think I'd be okay with any option to extend the season.
The NIT can't have a rule that excludes sub-.500 teams because of their autobid rule. While it doesn't normally happen, you could have a regular season champ lose their conference tournament and have a sub-.500 record. The conferences that I would say this scenario is most likely to occur are the MEAC and Southland.

In regards to the CBI, I'm not sure if it's an actual SEC policy or one of those unspoken things you don't do, but SEC teams don't accept bids to the CBI. Unless I'm mistaken, our conference has never had a team particpate in that tournament even though we have had quite a few that would have been eligible. I wouldn't normally want us to take a bid to that tournament, but it could be extremely beneficial to this young team to get more practices and games (practices being more important imo).
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
The NIT can't have a rule that excludes sub-.500 teams because of their autobid rule. While it doesn't normally happen, you could have a regular season champ lose their conference tournament and have a sub-.500 record. The conferences that I would say this scenario is most likely to occur are the MEAC and Southland.

In regards to the CBI, I'm not sure if it's an actual SEC policy or one of those unspoken things you don't do, but SEC teams don't accept bids to the CBI. Unless I'm mistaken, our conference has never had a team particpate in that tournament even though we have had quite a few that would have been eligible. I wouldn't normally want us to take a bid to that tournament, but it could be extremely beneficial to this young team to get more practices and games (practices being more important imo).
Yep, the SEC has never had a team in the CBI. I sure hope the SEC doesn't have a "no-CBI policy" because it would be ludicrous. For a conference trying to improve its reputation as a woeful basketball conference, forcing your teams to turn down games against decent postseason competition would be absurd. The following schools have all played in the CBI since it was founded in 2008:

Wichita State
Virginia
Creighton
Texas
VCU
Saint Louis
Oregon
Cincinnati
Butler
Pitt
Purdue
Washington
Utah
George Mason
St. John's
Oregon State
Stanford
UCF
TCU
Washington State
Colorado State
Nevada
Davidson
Richmond
Houston
Akron
UTEP
Valparaiso
Boise State
Wyoming
Wofford
Princeton
Vermont
Green Bay
George Washington
Charleston
Evansville
Amongst other smaller schools with solid basketball programs...

That's a damn good list. There are a lot of very good basketball schools on that list. That list includes multiple teams that have made the Final Four in the past decade, quite a few teams currently in line for the Big Dance, and a lot of near-annual tourney contenders. Teams from the ACC, Big 10, Big East, Big 12, and Pac-12 have all played in the CBI. It would be mind-boggling for the SEC to have some sort of rule against it.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #33
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

^Yeah, there have been some good programs in that tournament. I think it's really one of those unspoken rules for the SEC. It's pay for play, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #34
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Irregardless, let's just DO this
Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #35
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
^Yeah, there have been some good programs in that tournament. I think it's really one of those unspoken rules for the SEC. It's pay for play, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well.

I think I'm pretty much in agreement with you. I wouldn't normally want to play in the CBI, but just feel that the timing is right this year with this team.

If it is an unspoken rule with the SEC, they need to get over themselves. This isn't football. Outside of Florida and Kentucky, the conference sucks at basketball. Every year we hear about all these teams ready to take the next step, yet it never seems to happen. If the Big East, ACC, and Texas aren't too good for the CBI and we and the SEC aren't either.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #36
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Anthony Gill is doing DAMN good for UVA! Wish he would t
Of left!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #37
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
Irregardless
Excuse me?
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #38
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

Win or lose, this tourney has been a major success. We got a coach fired, and knocked another team out of the NCAA Tournament.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #39
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Y'all have a shot of paying us back for the Vols upset in football. I think a loss here and we will slip out of the NCAA's. Win and I think we are safely in.

Hope our SECT history of choking doesn't rear its ugly head today. I will let you know I am very nervous...Y'all play hard and have nothing to lose...sounds like our football matchup.

Yikes.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #40
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Yep, the SEC has never had a team in the CBI. I sure hope the SEC doesn't have a "no-CBI policy" because it would be ludicrous. For a conference trying to improve its reputation as a woeful basketball conference, forcing your teams to turn down games against decent postseason competition would be absurd. The following schools have all played in the CBI since it was founded in 2008:

Wichita State
Virginia
Creighton
Texas
VCU
Saint Louis
Oregon
Cincinnati
Butler
Pitt
Purdue
Washington
Utah
George Mason
St. John's
Oregon State
Stanford
UCF
TCU
Washington State
Colorado State
Nevada
Davidson
Richmond
Houston
Akron
UTEP
Valparaiso
Boise State
Wyoming
Wofford
Princeton
Vermont
Green Bay
George Washington
Charleston
Evansville
Amongst other smaller schools with solid basketball programs...

That's a damn good list. There are a lot of very good basketball schools on that list. That list includes multiple teams that have made the Final Four in the past decade, quite a few teams currently in line for the Big Dance, and a lot of near-annual tourney contenders. Teams from the ACC, Big 10, Big East, Big 12, and Pac-12 have all played in the CBI. It would be mind-boggling for the SEC to have some sort of rule against it.

I normally wouldn't want to play in the CBI but if the "miracle" of winning the SEC then the CBI would be a great consolation and give our young players more time to gel and improve.