CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
18IsTheMan
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
eightohhthree
highstick
ccured
TheUSCMike
GSC2013
behindenemylines
Tood Gurley: My hats (4847)
"It just hurts, (3538)
Brandon Wilds (3141)
#24 to ? (2779)
Shout out to JT Surr (2409)
Don't underestimate (1780)
The Refs (1514)
AP Poll (1320)
Spurrier's newest vi (1164)
The CBS Sports Inter (1079)
"It just hurts, man!
ESPN is mad that USC beat
sources for bittorrent do
Worse 1st and goal play:
A tribute to the "th
AP Poll
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Darius Slayton
Shon Carson
A UGA fans view of the ga

Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default True Detective (HBO)

Nice start to this miniseries last night.

The show is pretty dark and reminds me a little of Hannibal (especailly the way in which the murders are committed and the condition of the bodies).

The acting and cinematography are very good. It's a little slow and some of the storylines arer a little stayed/trite (disturbed but genius partner/alcoholic cop/etc) but it has peaked my interest. I'm definitely down for the next 7 epiosdes.

What did everyone else think?
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: True Detective (HBO)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention -

2 Wire vets appeared in the 1st episode - Lester and Brother Mouzone.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

All I can say is, Alexandra Daddario,woooooooo.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Rewatched it last night since my wife missed the 1st episode and wow - McConaughey is doing some great work on this show.

The whole - "human consciousness was a misstep in evolution" was laying it on a bit thick but overall it is a very good performance. The performance is so good that, even though I find the material somewhat tired and overused, I cannot turn away.

It will be interesting to see what accured between 1995 and 2012 to make him the man we see in the police interogation.

Also discovered that the cinematographer is the same as on Top of the Lake so that explains why this is so beautifully filmed.

The show had HBO's best premier for a drama since 2010 (Boardwalk Empire). 3.3 million viewers in 1st night (2 showings)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPit

Really, really enjoyed the pilot.

matthew mcconaughey was absolutely outstanding. i couldnt help but continuously think about the range he was demonstrating in the role (when compared to his other roles).
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPitA. Pilgrim rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Rewatched it last night since my wife missed the 1st episode and wow - McConaughey is doing some great work on this show.

The whole - "human consciousness was a misstep in evolution" was laying it on a bit thick but overall it is a very good performance. The performance is so good that, even though I find the material somewhat tired and overused, I cannot turn away.

I understand what you're saying, and maybe I've missed other characters on TV that have taken a similar approach, but I dont remember or know of another character on TV that had / has his character's perspective of the world, or at least none that i can think of that articulated it the way he did.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I am glad to hear all of this. I was watching it a fell asleep 25 minutes or so in. I was hoping I was just tired.

Will try again tonight.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
tkousc
4-Star

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

Quote:

It will be interesting to see what accured between 1995 and 2012 to make him the man we see in the police interogation.

Also discovered that the cinematographer is the same as on Top of the Lake so that explains why this is so beautifully filmed.

The show had HBO's best premier for a drama since 2010 (Boardwalk Empire). 3.3 million viewers in 1st night (2 showings)
Curious what you thought of top of the lake. Still trying to wrap my head around it. I think the cool setting was why I ended up liking it a lot.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
I understand what you're saying, and maybe I've missed other characters on TV that have taken a similar approach, but I dont remember or know of another character on TV that had / has his character's perspective of the world, or at least none that i can think of that articulated it the way he did.
I was referring to the serial killer genre being overused and the "white man with problems anti hero" as the protagonist.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkousc View Post
Curious what you thought of top of the lake. Still trying to wrap my head around it. I think the cool setting was why I ended up liking it a lot.
Well acted and beautifully filmed. Never really pulled me in. I still have not watched the finale.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
I was referring to the serial killer genre being overused and the "white man with problems anti hero" as the protagonist.
ah, yes. my bad- i had read that criticism all over the internet before watching the show. i guess i just forgot about them after having seen the show.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
All I can say is, Alexandra Daddario,woooooooo.

FTW! Holy crap her body is insane.

I saw a tweet earlier today that said Woody Harrleson should not have been paid for "acting" in that scene.

Episode 2 was outstanding. So far this is the best new show since GoT.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
FTW! Holy crap her body is insane.

I saw a tweet earlier today that said Woody Harrleson should not have been paid for "acting" in that scene.

Episode 2 was outstanding. So far this is the best new show since GoT.
I was waiting for this day ever since the first Percy Jackson movie. It was worth the wait.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I was waiting for this day ever since the first Percy Jackson movie. It was worth the wait.
Yup, now only for Lynsey Fonseca to appear on the show, lol
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #15
theo_robbins
4-Star

Male

theo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot materialtheo_robbins is USC mascot material

I really like this show. I think it'll be perfect as an 8 episode miniseries, long enough to tell an awesome story, but not too long and killing it.

Also, I did not notice that one of the cops was Brother Mouzone, now that I know that I like the show 10x more
theo_robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #16
GamecockNeal
American Gamecock....

Male

CockyCash: 5445
GamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot materialGamecockNeal is USC mascot material

I just saw the preview for this series last night and was excited. I was watching Boardwalk Empire on tv when it previewed. It comes on Korean tv starting Feb. 7. Glad to hear these good reviews.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #17
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

This show keeps rolling right along. Looks like Rust and Marty may have ID'd the killer. Dude looks pretty freaky all tatted up walking around in a gas mask and his underwear.

I liked the "mow my lawn" scene. Reminded me of the "King Pin" scene where Harrelson punches out Randy Quaid and saiys "you don't mow another guys lawn!" The double meaning is obvious.

Also enjoyed Rust's take on religion and have to say I agree with him. Those people at the tent revival were a real freak show. Good to see Eli from Boardwalk Empire make a cameo as the preacher.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #18
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

3rd episode really picked it up IMO.... Very excited for the next installment.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #19
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I just wanted to say that last night's episode went hard.

That scene with McConnaughey (sp?) in the projects was INTENSE.

Also, looks like they're building up for a nice twist soon involving Cole and the interviews that they are conducting in current time.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #20
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

OK I love TD but boy it took a serious turn to freaky town last night.