CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
IBleedGarnetandBlack
CockyLifer
b381l
kingofnerf
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
TexAgTrojan
Order 66
GH
Garnet Gamecock
So, Dylan Thompson? (5136)
Confused fan here. (3677)
Is anybody still opt (3476)
Here's a terrifying (2504)
Predict the Season ( (2343)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (1832)
How were the Aggie f (1150)
Could Mike Davis Be (1118)
David Williams?? (1100)
This says it all. (925)
So, Dylan Thompson?
2015 Commitment - Michael
Is anybody still optimist
Recruiting Question
A&M vent thread
Confused fan here. Why i
Plugging Holes W/Recruiti
Priority #1: Teach Tackli
QB Kenny Hill named start
Could Mike Davis Be Back

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: LA anchorman's earthquake reaction is funny as sh*t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Has nothing to do with whether he was in danger. It just wasn't funny. Just kind of a "oh, this is happening" type of thing.

Then again- I'm not a big slapstick kind of person. So maybe you have to be into that to think this was funny.
It isn't what he said, but the look on his face that made me chuckle. I guess I have a dark sense of humor.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #22
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I have a dark sense of humor.

As do I.

When it's funny.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
USC65
Walk On

Male

USC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his claws

My daughter lives in Sherman Oaks, close to the epicenter and said pictures fell off the walls, drawers flew open and her dog puked. Not very funny at 6:25 am.
USC65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC65 View Post
My daughter lives in Sherman Oaks, close to the epicenter and said pictures fell off the walls, drawers flew open and her dog puked. Not very funny at 6:25 am.
Not funny at anytime. Glad she's alright.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #25
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I didn't laugh because it just wasn't funny, not because I think people should be taking it seriously
Quote:
This

I saw the news anchor clip on another news show later this evening for the first time. I just sort of shrugged at the idea that their reaction could be considered funny.
Quote:
Has nothing to do with whether he was in danger. It just wasn't funny. Just kind of a "oh, this is happening" type of thing.

Then again- I'm not a big slapstick kind of person. So maybe you have to be into that to think this was funny.
Quote:
As do I.

When it's funny.
These people and I are apparently on the same page.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #26
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Why are people getting mad at 3MTA?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #27
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Wow there is an epidemic of Vaginal Sand Syndrome on this board
Yep, lighten up people. That's hilarious. " Earthquake! We're having an earthquake! Quick dive under the desk!" hahahahahaha

Trailer Park Supervisor
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Bleh, I thought that he handled it appropriately. You are taught to go under the desk. They did and then came right out and continued the telecast.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #29
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Bleh, I thought that he handled it appropriately. You are taught to go under the desk. They did and then came right out and continued the telecast.
Exactly. Not only that, but he immediately called the local United States Geological Survey to get more info.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
jellafever
BETTER THAN the rest

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

some of you need to work on your definition of funny. Cause this ain't it
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #31
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Watching a grown man dive under a desk, like a child would do in elementary school, is comical. I would bet that his female co anchor would have just sat there had he not said anything. I bet he also hides in a bathtub, under a mattress, when there is a tornado warning.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #32
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I've lived in California for almost 13 years now. We've had a few earthquakes up here. I haven't felt any of them although many people (including those in my own home) have. They take earthquakes very seriously here. It's easy to laugh at something when you don't have to deal with it on a regular basis. Yes, there are earthquakes in SC but the danger is nowhere near what it is in California. For someone who hasn't experienced it before, it can be scary. So I wouldn't make fun of someone who is reacting to one in the moment. In hindsight, yes it can be funny - once you know everyone is safe. However, put yourself in their shoes and see how you would react.

If you find it funny that's fine. Just saying that my perspective on this stuff has changed since living out here.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #33
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Watching a grown man dive under a desk, like a child would do in elementary school, is comical. I would bet that his female co anchor would have just sat there had he not said anything. I bet he also hides in a bathtub, under a mattress, when there is a tornado warning.
We don't get tornadoes in California. They are very rare. 396 tornadoes since 1950 (43 in Los Angeles County). 61% of those are F0. 85 total injuries, no deaths. By comparison, SC has had 924 with 1701 injuries and 63 deaths. Since 1990, SC has averaged 29 tornadoes a year. CA has averaged 6 (with a much larger land mass/geography).

My point? Mr Anchorman wouldn't know what to do in a tornado.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #34
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Is this sarcasm or what? If not, I sincerely hope you are never in a serious natural disaster, or you are a dead man if you don't prepare for the worst. Of all the tornados that have killed so many people in the south in the last few years, and you think it's silly to hide in the safest place in the house if you have no basement is absolutely idiotic.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material

Geez guys, bickering back and forth about whether it's funny or not. Even women aren't this complicated

And FWIW, I've been in a 7.7 earthquake, and his reaction made me chuckle.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #36
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Geez guys, bickering back and forth about whether it's funny or not. Even women aren't this complicated

And FWIW, I've been in a 7.7 earthquake, and his reaction made me chuckle.
Right, I can understand that. However, we can all laugh because we know everything is safe. He didn't know that so I don't think anyone can fault him for his reaction.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #37
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Right, I can understand that. However, we can all laugh because we know everything is safe. He didn't know that so I don't think anyone can fault him for his reaction.
I'm not faulting him for his reaction. I just about peed my pants when the 7.7 struck us (I was a lot younger then, LOL). But, after the fact, knowing everyone is ok, it is a little funny watching his reaction. But I respect the fact that everyone has different opinions, I was just surprised to see so much back and forth amongst (mostly) adults.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #38
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
I'm not faulting him for his reaction. I just about peed my pants when the 7.7 struck us (I was a lot younger then, LOL). But, after the fact, knowing everyone is ok, it is a little funny watching his reaction. But I respect the fact that everyone has different opinions, I was just surprised to see so much back and forth amongst (mostly) adults.
I'm trying to be adult about it. Honestly, my perspective on earthquakes has changed since I moved to California. I was just trying to shed some light on that perspective because it is a real danger out here. Maybe the anchorman himself looks back and laughs now. However, scary, traumatic events and the real threat of natural disasters like earthquakes are dealt with a little differently out here. It's easier to laugh from a distance but if he was affected by this, it's not funny no matter how many times you try to tell him.

Since I moved out here, I've heard lots of stories about the Bay Area earthquake in 89 as well as the Loma Prieta in 94. Scary stuff.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #39
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Is this sarcasm or what? If not, I sincerely hope you are never in a serious natural disaster, or you are a dead man if you don't prepare for the worst. Of all the tornados that have killed so many people in the south in the last few years, and you think it's silly to hide in the safest place in the house if you have no basement is absolutely idiotic.
Just sat through an earthquake on my sofa and am fine. Next time tho, I'll yell out "earthquake" and dive under the nearest table haha. Lighten up there fella. Of course I'm gonna use caution when danger is in the area, just thought this guy overreacted just a tad.

Trailer Park Supervisor
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #40
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

It would have been more funny had she gone under the desk and he leaned back and smiled.

Other than that...blah.