CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > High School Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Cockypantherfan
Regalcock
PageUSC
The Yancey
ACPhilson
SCohioBoy
KaneisAble
WeStillOwnUSC
taylorssc
HBC Weekly Presser (2166)
Thompson Has Neck In (1539)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1100)
4th & 1 Play (966)
Kentucky prediction (769)
Just Booked my Hotel (722)
So What? (503)
Bad Week For Upstate (374)
Jeopardy: USC and th (307)
Travis Bell's Photos (243)
What fish do you eat
Really excited to visit t
Thompson Has Neck Injury
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Best position coach or co
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Just Booked my Hotel for
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Kentucky prediction
State talent drying up

Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Bamberg High School Baseball Teams

We constantly talk about the great football programs in our state but does anyone remember what a great run on State Championships the Baseball Coach at Bamberg did in the 60's and 70's? Are there any players that maybe played for him on this website that could tell us what made them such a powerhouse for many years in the small city of Bamberg?

dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
jccgogamecocks
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 475
jccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his clawsjccgogamecocks is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Bamberg High School Baseball Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
We constantly talk about the great football programs in our state but does anyone remember what a great run on State Championships the Baseball Coach at Bamberg did in the 60's and 70's? Are there any players that maybe played for him on this website that could tell us what made them such a powerhouse for many years in the small city of Bamberg?

Coach Horton was a bad man when it came to baseball. His wife is a pretty sporty coach as well.
jccgogamecocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Combination of good talent and coaching. Once the system got rolling the future generations bought into it and did things the right way. I was able to coach against him during the last decade of his career and unfortunately saw his 700th win in person lol. Good man and coach and I hated to see him leave, but I know he wanted more time to watch his grand kids play baseball in the Atlanta area I believe.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Didn't he win like 8 or 9 state titles in a row?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

8 in a row then several after that run...I went to school there played for him 1 year until the golf gene kicked in....Good thing I wasn't D1 talent in baseball and the following year I remember the starting 9 all got schollies or offers..
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Herbie3
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 13641
Herbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot materialHerbie3 is USC mascot material

Yeah, back in 1992 Bamberg had Preston Wilson, Mookie Wilson son. Funny thing is that Preston would have hit 50 homers that season, but no one would pitch to him. Think he end up with like 28 bombs for the season, then draft first round by Mets.
Herbie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

In the 70s to go along with our streak in baseball we also went to the football state championships 6 times in a row....played Chapin in 3 and Woodruff 3...Didn't win a damn one of them....Chapin had I M Hipp as their QB...He started at QB for OU I believe...
Old 05-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
In the 70s to go along with our streak in baseball we also went to the football state championships 6 times in a row....played Chapin in 3 and Woodruff 3...Didn't win a damn one of them....Chapin had I M Hipp as their QB...He started at QB for OU I believe...
Hipp played at Nebraska.

Didn't realize the football team had its own streak.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
Hipp played at Nebraska.

Didn't realize the football team had its own streak.
...Nebraska...Okie..to me they are the same.....The football streak was just playing in the championship games...We didn't win a dang one of them.....They all were great games but Woodruff and Chapin seemed to have that one extra playmaker ......Oh well...
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Quote:
...Nebraska...Okie..to me they are the same.....The football streak was just playing in the championship games...We didn't win a dang one of them.....They all were great games but Woodruff and Chapin seemed to have that one extra playmaker ......Oh well...
I'm from Clinton - know all about those good ole Woodruff teams. The first extra playmaker I was old enough to remember was some guy named Tony Rice.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
8 in a row then several after that run...I went to school there played for him 1 year until the golf gene kicked in....Good thing I wasn't D1 talent in baseball and the following year I remember the starting 9 all got schollies or offers..
I know Tracy Wise (who played there in the mid 80s)... played softball against him. Heard he could flat kill a baseball.. Dude sure could hit it in softball.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I know Tracy Wise (who played there in the mid 80s)... played softball against him. Heard he could flat kill a baseball.. Dude sure could hit it in softball.
...Yep...he was a good player all around but just didn't seem to have all his noodles in the same bowl...If you get my drift...
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
...Yep...he was a good player all around but just didn't seem to have all his noodles in the same bowl...If you get my drift...
LOL... Most softball players don't.