CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Cockypantherfan
ACPhilson
PageUSC
Regalcock
The Yancey
taylorssc
zcockz
KaneisAble
GamecockSuperFan
HBC Weekly Presser (2022)
Thompson Has Neck In (1484)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1037)
4th & 1 Play (906)
Clowney didnt get ma (794)
Zone Read Analysis w (772)
Kentucky prediction (495)
So What? (460)
Just Booked my Hotel (436)
Request (397)
Kentucky prediction
State talent drying up
HBC Weekly Presser
Out of the top 25
What fish do you eat
Thoughts on the basketbal
Women's BB "Big Mond
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Just Booked my Hotel for

Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default COCKYTALK SPRING PRACTICE REPORT: 3/21/14

Spring Practice Report: 3/21/14 (Practice #4)

Got to see almost the entire practice today, for the first time in a couple of seasons. This was a good to see from start to finish too. Very energetic workout on both sides of the ball. The team was in Shells again today and there were a lot of stand out performers during the practice.

I got a chance to watch the kickers and punters work out before practice and from the observation today, I didn’t see a difference in the punting performances of either Tyler Hull or Patrick Fish. It did look like they’ve added some hang time on their punts, but the inconsistency and lack of distance is still there. It looks like (for now) the Kickoffs are Landon Ard’s responsibility. Of all the Kickers, it seems that Elliott Fry is the only one who seems to have improved. His distance looks like it still tops out around 40-45 yards, but he has put a lot more arch on his longer kicks, and there’s a bit more “Oomph” in all his attempts.

Running down the positions for this evening.

Quarterbacks:
Dylan Thompson was ON today. Very sharp for pretty much the entire practice in throwing and running the offense. As was the case last night the battle is still going on for the #2 spot behind Dylan. Both Connor Mitch and Brendon Nosovitch had so-so performances. (much like last night). Connor had the better night throwing the ball for completions, but his percentage today was more a result of some outstanding plays made by the wide receivers / tight ends. Perry Orth got a few more reps today than he got yesterday, and had some nice throws. Right now, Noso is second on the depth chart this spring and so far he hasn’t gotten a challenge from either of the guys behind him for that position, but he hasn’t done a lot to close the gap between he and Dylan either.

Running Backs:
Kind of a quiet day for these guys. Shon Carson looked like he got the majority of reps today and did a good job with the increase in snaps. Same as yesterday, Wilds still had on the Yellow jersey, and Mike Davis took a few reps early in the 11 on 11, then sat out the remainder of the practice. David Williams didn’t get as many reps today as he did in the workout yesterday, but did a good job with the few he did get. Looked very good again bouncing to the outside when there was nothing open at the point of attack, and good breakaway speed when he gets to the corner. Very good looking runner and a high ceiling for improvement too. This young man has a good career ahead of him here.
The bulk of the carries from the backfield during the Skels and full team drills were given to the Fullbacks and walk on tailbacks, so guys like Darius Paulk, Jordan Diaz, Rod Talley, Devin Potter got a chance to show their talents.

Wide Receivers / Tight Ends:
There was a new number on the field tonight that had a lot of people asking “Who Is Number 40” ? He was not on any of the rosters from any of the people covering the practice, but the guy had an outstanding practice at the Tight end spot. Someone standing near me said he was a walk on that joined the team today, and he told me the guy’s last name was Austin. Not sure about any details surrounding Mr Austin, but I can tell you he is an impressive looking TE, both blocking and catching the football. He was thrown to several times in the team drills by all of our QBs, and a few of those catches came from low thrown balls that #40 went down and took off of the top of the grass. When he was not catching passes, he was putting defensive linemen on their butts. Along with Mr Austin, Pharoh Cooper brought his A Game today catching several balls through the team drills. Cooper seemed to be a favorite target for Dylan Thompson as they connected on 5-6 very good looking pass plays. The majority of those passes were slants and hitches in the middle of the field in tight coverage. Shaq Roland caught a couple of nice passes today during the 11-on-11, on of them was a deep go route thrown by Connor Mitch. To my recollection, I only saw one pass completion to Shamier Jeffery during the team drills, but it was a REALLY NICE catch of deep hitch along the sideline thrown by Dylan Thompson. Also catching passes that I remember were during the team drills were Drew Owens, Andrew Bunch and a couple by Matrick Belton. K J Brent only caught one ball today, but it was a nicely thrown deep ball from Thompson during the Skels. Buster Anderson didn’t see much action, but what little he was in, he made the most of by catching all three of the balls that were thrown his way.

A couple of notes from the trenches:
Mike Matulis is definitely getting prepared for taking over Ronald Patrick’s spot from last season as he took every rep with the first unit at Right Guard today. The first unit (Dylan’s squad) right now is Cody Waldrop at Center, AJ Cann at Left Guard, Mike Matulis at Right Guard, Brandon Shell is at Right Tackle and Corey Robinson is the Left Tackle. They haven’t solidified the first and second units on the D/line just yet as there are a lot of combinations being used there. It looks to me like the majority of reps being taken though are JT Surratt and Gerald Dixon Jr on the inside, with rotating reps at both DE Spots. Darius English has seen a lot of reps on the strong side, but so has Mason Harris, and Ced Cooper.

Linebackers / Secondary:
Continued excellence extending from his performance last night for Rico McWilliams. Once again, he was not beaten by the few deep attempts that were thrown his way, and every time they thought they could connect there, he was stride for stride with his man. He is what you want to see from a cover corner, and after two days, seems to be the best performer of the of all of our secondary players. I’m liking what I’m seeing from the play of Rico McWilliams !! Chaz Elder had a good performance today as well, batting down a couple of balls and coming up and making some good plays in run support. There were no interceptions from any of the LBs or DBs tonight but there were several plays where the receivers and RBs were covered tightly enough to force the QBs to pull the ball down and run the ball, or have the whistle blow the play dead. Sharrod Golightly and TJ Holloman were back on the field tonight and both guys did pretty well in limited reps. The second level of the defense was not “quite as dominating” as they were last night, but overall they did have another solid performance. No breakdowns or major mistakes that were present.

Scrimmage Tomorrow Morning at the Cockpit for anyone who can go, please post your observations, as I will be out of town. Would like to hear how the team looks under game conditions.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
snoopy
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 500
snoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurs
Default Re: COCKYTALK SPRING PRACTICE REPORT: 3/21/14

Thanks Spurt, great report. Wish I could be there but too far away. Sounds like they are better prepared than this time last year.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Thx Spurt!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Sounds like Rico is coming back to his TrFr spring/summer ball performances. Hope he can keep it up and be a beast of a lockdown corner for us.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Rico!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Spurball
Walk On

Male

Spurball has hatched from the shell

Sounds like we have some guys trying to make some good impressions!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Spurball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Long life Spurt!!!
CockOla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Thanx for the props guys. .. glad to do it.

Last year I said going into the season "BASED ON PRACTICES" that I
thought our linebackers would surprise a lot of people, and even though
they were young, that I felt they could hold their own against the
competition in the SEC. When the season started, it was a little tougher
for them to adjust to the competition of this conference than I thought
and they struggled early on.... but the talent I saw in the practices, and
the speed and energy finally came together about mid season and our
young guys finished like vets.

I see our secondary similar to that now. Very fast, good skills and technique
and a couple of stand out cover guys. We're doing great against our own
personnel. It may be tougher on them when the season starts and they're
facing some of the best WRs in the country. We'll have some solid
freshman coming in to either fill in a spot or two, or provide some quality
depth if needed. I just hope that what they are doing now, can move
onto the field come gametime against our opponents. Right now the
secondary looks solid. It was a question mark coming into the spring
practice. So far, so good
Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Thanks again Spurt, great write up! It seems like our secondary comprised of mostly Georgia boys could surprise people this year.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Much thx for report, good sir.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
dbinette03
Walk On

Male

dbinette03 is learning to peck

Quote:
There was a new number on the field tonight that had a lot of people asking “Who Is Number 40” ? He was not on any of the rosters from any of the people covering the practice, but the guy had an outstanding practice at the Tight end spot. Someone standing near me said he was a walk on that joined the team today, and he told me the guy’s last name was Austin. Not sure about any details surrounding Mr Austin, but I can tell you he is an impressive looking TE, both blocking and catching the football. He was thrown to several times in the team drills by all of our QBs, and a few of those catches came from low thrown balls that #40 went down and took off of the top of the grass. When he was not catching passes, he was putting defensive linemen on their butts.
I believe that walk-on TE you are referring to is Jacob AUGUST. Fresh out of Fork Union Military Academy Prep. I knew him personally as a local out of Cardinal Newman Highschool (Catholic Private School in Cola). Here is a link to his 247.
dbinette03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #12
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 540
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Just another reason why Cockytalk may live on forever, Spurts Practice Reports. Even non-members can't wait to read these breakdowns.

Awesome job again, Spurt. We all thank you- sir
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbinette03 View Post
I believe that walk-on TE you are referring to is Jacob AUGUST. Fresh out of Fork Union Military Academy Prep. I knew him personally as a local out of Cardinal Newman Highschool (Catholic Private School in Cola). Here is a link to his 247.
!!!!

For some reason he got overlooked BIG TIME. ... I had him on my original
roster three days ago, and they had his name listed but the number was
blank. When the roster was updated, his name was removed for some
reason. ..... I got him added to the roster now. Hope this young man
continues to prove himself in the next couple of weeks and performs the
way he did yesterday. His play was IMPRESSIVE !
Old 03-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
!!!!

Let us know if they let him work out a bit with the kickers and punters.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #15
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Very nice detailed report that must take a lot of your time. Always enjoy reading your reports. Thank you.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
!!!!

He had a couple of full ride offers to lower tier FBS as well as FCS schools but wanted bigger things. He was gonna walk on at Penn St but the coaching change he opted to walk on here at home. 6'6 250 when classes started in January. Big potential upside
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I am on my way to Columbia after driving straight back to Aiken from Connecticut. I will be a little late, but can't pass up an opportunity to be in the cockpit!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material

#40 IS HUGE!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Mike Davis on another level, to put it kindly.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

Skai Moore just flat blew up a pitch out to Pharoah Cooper