CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyDevil
cockytoo001
OriginalGamecock
qcgamecock
MDrock
b381l
markp_vip
3MTA3
I Bleed Garnet
thekob
Most important posit (1203)
Toure Boyd (650)
Tennessee signee mus (540)
Gamecock Tweeters (444)
Drive cross-country (350)
How many seasons was (312)
Marcus Stroman (0)
The Official 2015 Atlanta
Most important position i
2015 Connor Mitch
Marcus Stroman
Premier League 2015-2016
Mon Denson Update
5 stars
Preseason top 25 polls re
Preview of UNC
Toure Boyd

Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Nest thermostat

I'm sure you've all seen these in Home Depot. Does anyone here own one?

I didn't realize they were so simple to install and relatively affordable ($250 or less).

I was chatting with a coworker today who uses one and he had all kind of great things to say about it. Told me it has saved him around $500 since he got one last August in power bills...more than paid for itself.

He explained how it "learns" when you are home, when you aren't, when many people are there, etc to adjust the temperature itself. Without monitors around the house, I don't see how that could be very accurate from a single thermostat point. We have a very long home and about 2800 sq ft of space that our A/C unit covers; we spend most of our time in the areas (kitchen/living room) away from the thermostat.

Does anyone have one that would like to share their experience? I'm on the fence.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0
Default Re: Nest thermostat

Well the machine itself doesn't "know" when you are home. It's the fellow at the NSA who's doing the monitoring that knows when you're home.
cocky0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
acejrock

Male

CockyCash: 27000000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock

Yeah you are essentially paying for the drone honing device not a thermostat.

"Hindsight is always 50/50."
-Cam Newton

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
-George Carlin
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
Well the machine itself doesn't "know" when you are home. It's the fellow at the NSA who's doing the monitoring that knows when you're home.
Well he better prepare for quite a show!

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
johnnyb
Banneded

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

He explained how it "learns" when you are home, when you aren't, when many people are there, etc to adjust the temperature itself. Without monitors around the house, I don't see how that could be very accurate from a single thermostat point. We have a very long home and about 2800 sq ft of space that our A/C unit covers; we spend most of our time in the areas (kitchen/living room) away from the thermostat.
I dont get this for our region, its so hot (and humid) for 6 months out of the year even a well insulated home will take a long time to get tempatures back down into comfortable range if the HVAC is off for any sig amount of time. I could see it working if you had a seperate whole home humidifier/dehumidifier that wasnt controlled by the nest, because thats a big part of the load on a central HVAC unit.

Most HVAC experts will tell you it is much more energy efficent to pick a tempature and leave it alone than it is to turn it up/off when you leave and back down/off when you come home.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 288
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I have been hearing a good bit about them. I think it's a very good concept. For $100 I would probably get one. But $250? I'll adjust my old one myself.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #7
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I'd encourage you to read this before spending the money: http://www.nngroup.com/articles/emotional-design-fail/

My favorite quote:
Quote:
Try as I might, it won’t listen. So I pull on another sweater (a la Jimmy Carter) and mittens and a hat. Indoors. In my home. I am serious. And I wait until my thermostat decides that I am worthy of radiant warmth.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I have a programmable thermostat that took some getting used to, but it does fine. If I need to adjust it from the settings I have I can just put the program on hold and set to a desired temp.

To me the nest is a novelty item. I am sure it works but I don't have anything invested in thermostats for me to care about paying and changing to the Nest.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2072773
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I did refrigeration work for several years, and just give the old slide mercury thermostat anytime.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Controlling the thermostat from your phone with att digital life or ADT pulse is pretty convenient.
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I did refrigeration work for several years, and just give the old slide mercury thermostat anytime.
There is actually good money in home appliance maintenance
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 998822
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Nest and Dropcam are both owned by Google if I remember correctly.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
PCaughman
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
PCaughman is learning to peckPCaughman is learning to peck

I own one for 5 years now. I have not had any problem with it. I live in a old house in Columbia. It reduce my electric bill by 20%. The joke about my house if the heat not on it is cold and if the A/C not on it hot. It very easy to setup and simple to operate.
PCaughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #14
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1340000
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

I have one and love it. It sets itself to Auto-away when we all leave in the mornings. I have noticed that my bill has dropped every month since it's been installed. I have had times that I have forgotten to lower/raise the temp before bed and I just have to grab my phone/ipad from the nightstand and adjust it. You can also manually schedule it to start warming/cooling before you get home. I actually have two systems in my house but only one Nest. We like it so much that we will probably be buying a second one soon.

Also, I have a co-worker that had two systems but only had one Nest. He liked it so much he bought a second one.
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #15
rjmims6017
Learn to swim.

Male

CockyCash: 100812
rjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPit

I highly recommend the Ecobee3 over the nest. It comes with remote sensors that you can place in any room making it a lot more accurate than the nest. And in my opinion it looks better too.
http://www.cnet.com/products/ecobee3...rt-thermostat/
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #16
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Nest and Dropcam are both owned by Google if I remember correctly.
Dropcams a pretty flipping sweet.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #17
kingofnerf
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I dont get this for our region, its so hot (and humid) for 6 months out of the year even a well insulated home will take a long time to get tempatures back down into comfortable range if the HVAC is off for any sig amount of time.

Most HVAC experts will tell you it is much more energy efficent to pick a tempature and leave it alone than it is to turn it up/off when you leave and back down/off when you come home.
^^THIS. My house has a programmable t-stat since I have lived in it, but I have found that in extreme temps it's best to just leave it at a steady baseline temp. Sixty-eight degrees works best in the fall/winter months.

My furnace was out of commission for a few months and my mom loaned me a nice Lasco space heater with a thermostat on it.

I determined that the problem was a faulty door switch on the furnace, so I decided to run the space heater and see what the impact on my utility bill was.

I only use two or three rooms in the house anyway and I found that the space heater (closing the doors in the rooms I used) saved me @$100/month except for those periods when the daily highs were in the mid-40s and below. Then it would constantly run and only save me about $30/month.

I believe most furnaces have thermal safety shutoff devices that will kick in if the furnace runs too long and gets too hot. So the fan runs, but blows cool air. Ordinarily my house will warm up 1 degree/hour if the heat hasn't been turned on over the weekend. I fixed the furnace and found that house warmed up much faster if the t-stat temp was manually increased in 2-degree increments. This seemed let the furnace cool down instead of running until the shutoff kicked in.

So the two-degree increments allowed the furnace to shutdown normally and cool off using the thermal shutoff that forces the blower to cool the unit off for 90 seconds before also shutting off.

Once it hit 62* I just set the t-stat to 68 and let it run the rest of the way.