CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
markymark550
GregoryHouse
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2893)
The Defense (1860)
**USC Women vs. San (1855)
Women's soccer Sweet (1512)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1209)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1052)
USC/clemson spread (717)
In case no one saw.. (700)
injury report? (646)
Your favorite Greate (433)
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
Question about after the
Tiger Burn
2014 Charleston Classic:
A little late to the conv
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
Odell Becham Catch
For Discussing The Clemso
Beat Clemson
USC/clemson spread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Stargazing

There is a cool article from Yahoo about some great stargazing spots in the world.

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/the-t...703-slideshow/

So it got me thinking... I love to look up at the night sky and marvel at all of the other planets, stars, etc. out in the universe. Living right on the cusp of downtown Houston I do not have that opportunity any longer. Do any of y'all have great spots where you live or have you been to places where you get really awesome views of the night sky?

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise this summer so I am pumped that I should be able to see some good night skies soon.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default Re: Stargazing

Best I have seen is out west in like Utah and Arizona out camping away from all the city lights and low humidity.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Back yard is the best I can do. I have a 6" reflector. My favorite are the nebulas in Orion's belt. Incredible. If anyone has some binoculars, you can still see them at the sword.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

NTC (Ft Irwin CA) had some good views and very low light pollution. Edisto Beach between May 1 and Oct 31 was amazing as the lights are required to be off for the loggerhead turtles...

Don't think anything compared to the desert SSW of Kuwait tho' - I could see so many stars it was hard to make out some constellations/asterisms!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

Place a couple of miles below Caesar's Head called Bald Rock. Just a massive, flat, open rock face on the side of the mountain. You can see lights from Greenville, Easley, Pickens, Seneca, pretty much all over the place in the distance as you look off the side. We always go on a clear night because the view of the stars is perfect. Last time we went was for a meteor shower, and it was phenomenal.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Some classmates and I from my GG class had a graduation trip to Ibiza. Stayed at a remote villa. Last night we were there there was a very are meteor shower. Some of us took pillows and blankets up to the roof and just watched the show for hours.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
There is a cool article from Yahoo about some great stargazing spots in the world.

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/the-t...703-slideshow/

So it got me thinking... I love to look up at the night sky and marvel at all of the other planets, stars, etc. out in the universe. Living right on the cusp of downtown Houston I do not have that opportunity any longer. Do any of y'all have great spots where you live or have you been to places where you get really awesome views of the night sky?

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise this summer so I am pumped that I should be able to see some good night skies soon.
Summer night and Alaska doesn't exist. Went there on a vacation myself a few years back it stays daylight almost 24 hours a day.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Summer night and Alaska doesn't exist. Went there on a vacation myself a few years back it stays daylight almost 24 hours a day.
Yeah, it's the land of the midnight sun. Your cabin will probably have a very thick drape that you use to block your window when you want to sleep
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Yeah, it's the land of the midnight sun. Your cabin will probably have a very thick drape that you use to block your window when you want to sleep
After the cruise my family did a bus tour, and yeah the drapes were black and about 1-2 inches thick. They were called blackout curtains, they worked very well.

He does have the option to star gaze if he goes during the end of the summer, and on the night before getting to Alaska, and coming back from Alaska. I think out on the pacific ocean, and at the top end of the ship where you can lay on one of those foldout chairs that women sun in. Perfect for star gazers if there is no clouds.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Well, my bubble just burst.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

There's a really old grave yard in Burrell's Ford in the blue ridge mountains out past Walhalla. There's a giant field next to it near the top of the mountain and it was ridiculous the amount of starts you can see from there. Also if you put your boat in a lot the pole yard on 17 near georgetown and you can go inland orout towards the delta aand you won't be disappointed. You can also see some of the best sunrises there you'll ever see. I duck hunt out there and see many and have yet to come across any sunrise remotely close to it.
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I watch Jupiter pass directly across my porch every night. Also use the SkyView app to find other constellations and planets I can't easily spot.

Went to the planetarium and observatory in St. Pete and got to see Jupiter up close (and moons) along with Venus and the moon.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I watch Jupiter pass directly across my porch every night. Also use the SkyView app to find other constellations and planets I can't easily spot.

Went to the planetarium and observatory in St. Pete and got to see Jupiter up close (and moons) along with Venus and the moon.
All you need is a mirror to see Uranus.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

I absolutely love going to planetariums and looking at different kinds of constellations and stars. About 5 months ago I went to Kennedy Space Center in Houston and that was a fun experience. Lots of good info to learn about space and cool, interactive exhibits.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #15
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
All you need is a mirror to see Uranus.
This is especially true for certain people.