CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
b381l
Regalcock
highstick
carolina_corpsman
jgoodwin25
ccured
Order 66
qcgamecock
Take-a-Knee
Marriage... and Sex (1234)
Spurrier says 6 more (955)
Secondary (638)
Brady's 4 Game Suspe (493)
Any Summer Workout U (363)
Aquariums (228)
Chevrolet Tru (214)
Gamecocks in the NFL (173)
Happy Birthday Khosk (112)
Tatum out as Gambit (100)
Furman Kickers Trick Shot
Secondary
Mon Denson Update
NFL prediction time
Wide Receivers
Work around the stadium
Rank the teams on our sch
Discussion: 2016 Recruit
Brady's 4 Game Suspension
Preseason Camp Begins Aug

Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
HailPharoh
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1000300
HailPharoh has earned his spursHailPharoh has earned his spursHailPharoh has earned his spursHailPharoh has earned his spursHailPharoh has earned his spursHailPharoh has earned his spurs
Default How will the Charleston shooting affect recruiting?

Obviously the innocent lives that were lost are far more important than anything related to sports.

I also think that Northern schools will not hesitate to use this as an opportunity to portray the people of SC as being 'behind the times,' to put it mildly. I definitely wouldn't put it past Jim Harbaugh, who we seem to be going head-to-head against for several recruits.

Maybe it won't have any effect. I always wondered why any black person would want to play for Ole Miss, a team located in a state with the confederate flag embedded within their own state flag, and a school with a plantation owner as a mascot. Still, they are able to attract top talent. (I'm thinking $$$ is changing hands).

This is just a thought. If you are thinking about trying to lecture me on priorities, don't waste your breath. I'm just introducing another small, insignificant ramification of this tragedy. This is no different than some of the people after 9/11 that felt guilty for thinking how the price of gold was skyrocketing as a result of those attacks. I don't feel great for thinking it, but it's there. Let's be adults about this, and talk about how race relations is impacting recruiting. It's one thing that I think no one ever brings up, but it HAS to be an issue to a certain extent. I understand if mods may be tempted to delete this thread, but I think some things need to be said, and sweeping these opinions under the rug isn't going to help anyone.
HailPharoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material
Default Re: How will the Charleston shooting affect recruiting?

It wont
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

CockyCash: 653
spurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudly

The Confederate flag will affect recruiting more.

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Master Bedroom
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Mississippi has been recruiting recently better than they have....ever I believe. Just like dabo the evangelist selling kids on clemson and Tillman Hall. If the salesman is good enough you can trick young, impressionable kids into believing anything
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
jrussjr
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 2323490
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Mississippi has been recruiting recently better than they have....ever I believe. Just like dabo the evangelist selling kids on clemson and Tillman Hall. If the salesman is good enough you can trick young, impressionable kids into believing anything

But clempson ain't in South Carolina, is it?!? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Master Bedroom
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
But clempson ain't in South Carolina, is it?!? LOL

North Alabama
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #7
jrussjr
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 2323490
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
North Alabama

Yeah, I thought those cats were from 'Bamer!
LMBO!

jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
airborne09
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
airborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talonsairborne09 has developed his gaff and talons

I don't think it affects it.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000001000008651
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I hope not, but I will be honest OP, the thought crossed my mind too.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #10
sunbeam
Blue Chip

Male

sunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudlysunbeam is crowing loudly

Personally I don't think kids pay attention to things like this when it comes to recruiting. The Confederate flag maybe.

They also don't really care that the school won four national championships or whatever pre-1980. They care about how you are doing now, how good the facilities are, how fun the town seems.

And they really care about how often the school is on sports center.

That said the guy that is recruiting them is super, super important.

But something like this? I just don't think it will matter. Just a different kind of thing.

The kids you are recruiting are not the ones that are up on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict or want so and so to divest from such and such.
sunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

As long as the recruits keep getting their money, they won't care.
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Personally I don't think kids pay attention to things like this when it comes to recruiting. The Confederate flag maybe.

They also don't really care that the school won four national championships or whatever pre-1980. They care about how you are doing now, how good the facilities are, how fun the town seems.

And they really care about how often the school is on sports center.

That said the guy that is recruiting them is super, super important.

But something like this? I just don't think it will matter. Just a different kind of thing.

The kids you are recruiting are not the ones that are up on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict or want so and so to divest from such and such.

More than anything they care about whether we can get them to the NFL. If we can do that better than our competitors we will be fine.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #13
GCocks#1
Recruit

Male

GCocks#1 has feathers coming inGCocks#1 has feathers coming inGCocks#1 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
The Confederate flag will affect recruiting more.
B.S. It doesn't and has never. Every state below the Mason Dixon line has confederate monuments and displays a Confederate flag at either state buildings or state museums.
GCocks#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #14
Order 66
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100280
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

There isn't a Confederate Flag in the state of Alabama.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #15
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

spurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudlyspurrierismyhomeboy is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCocks#1 View Post
B.S. It doesn't and has never. Every state below the Mason Dixon line has confederate monuments and displays a Confederate flag at either state buildings or state museums.
It hasn't been a national story or led the Nightly News until now. It's the number one story in the nation. That effects our out-of-state recruiting. If you haven't noticed most of our players are African-American.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 719114716
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
It hasn't been a national story or led the Nightly News until now. It's the number one story in the nation. That affects our out-of-state recruiting. If you haven't noticed most of our players are African-American.
I'd be shocked if a recruit took us off his list because some crazy extremist nut lived in our state.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #17
GarnetSwarm1990
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot material

If a flag being over the state house sways a kid into not coming to SC, he wasn't going to come here anyway.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #18
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I'd be shocked if a recruit took us off his list because some crazy extremist nut lived in our state.
It's not about one idiot.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
GCocks#1
Recruit

Male

GCocks#1 has feathers coming inGCocks#1 has feathers coming inGCocks#1 has feathers coming in

Quote:
It hasn't been a national story or led the Nightly News until now. It's the number one story in the nation. That effects our out-of-state recruiting. If you haven't noticed most of our players are African-American.
Its the #1 story in the nation because the people of South Carolina didn't act like insane people like the folks in Missouri. People are mourning the loss of good Christian people and understanding that the act of a lunatic does not represent the bulk of society. what's next removing the American flag when someone commits a heinous crime and displays the flag?
GCocks#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #20
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCocks#1 View Post
Its the #1 story in the nation because the people of South Carolina didn't act like insane people like the folks in Missouri. People are mourning the loss of good Christian people and understanding that the act of a lunatic does not represent the bulk of society. what's next removing the American flag when someone commits a heinous crime and displays the flag?
Listen man, it doesn't matter. The flag will be off state grounds soon, and then it will be at the SC State Museum. The only flags that should fly at government buildings are the State and U.S. flag.