CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27771)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2177)
Simple "yes&quo (1530)
We actually didnt lo (1251)
Phil Steele just pre (1221)
what I think ab ward (1004)
Eat Crow (956)
Extremely Proud (891)
Garcia: Change the R (773)
TeMarcus Blanton (720)
We would be 7-1 with just
Stop bashing Dylan
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Extremely Proud
I want people to explain
Nick Marshall
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose

Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material
Default What is Grace?

With Easter coming up, I thought that I would post something that has transformed my life. It is just a read and reflect piece. I am not posting this to argue with anyone, just offer some encouraging words and a different perspective on why Easter is celebrated. Thanks

I once heard the story of a preacher that was asked to give a sermon at an urban mission in the heart of a slum. before him were assembled some of the least distinguished citizens. Human derelicts, long time down and outers, hopeless residents on the one way street. it was the kind of people of whom I once heard someone say that the new car smell had worn off.

The preacher did his best and preached for a solid hour urging his audience to lift themselves to better living. it was one of those motivational sermons filled with oughts, and shoulds and what can be's. Rising to the height of oratory, he concluded with several refrains from Rudyard Kipling's inspirational poem If. You can be somebody if..If all about you are losing there heads and finally he concluded with the challenging refrain, "If you can fill the unforgiving mile with 60 seconds worth of long distance run. The sermon was met with silence as the audience sat with bowed heads. After a few moments the silence was broken with a voice in the back that cried out, "But what if you can't?"

What if you can't? I've observed that is not just the cry of skid row. it is the cry of everyone, even those who are faithful Christians. Those who are frustrated as they battle sin and come away a loser. What if you can't? Does the Bible have anything to say concerning this? yes, thank God it does, and it comes to us from the pen of the apostle who said that he could not but learned to trust in one who could. "For by grace are you saved and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God."

Do we catch the magnitude of that statement? I believe that some of us don't. We know what grace is and we tell people that Jesus saves but some of us are still privately trying to save ourselves. Through an agonizing and frustrating pursuit of perfection, we somehow try to merit our favor with God through what we have done. But you know what, it is never quite enough.

Let me ask this...do we enjoy the thought of meeting God one day? Most of us would lamely say, "I hope so". How is the gospel good news if it only resorts in a maybe? Do we think that Jesus went to the cross to produce a community of guilt ridden and spiritually insecure people? Were are the forgiven people in church these days? People are so uptight these days that no one even sleeps in church anymore. And then you have some bucolic preacher behind the wooden box beating on your brow with some more guilt.

Paul says in Romans 8:1, underline that verse and let it sweep the guilt out of your lives, "There is therefore now no condemnation to those of us in Christ Jesus." In our efforts and lives we have cried, "I can't" but at the cross, God has cried, "I can." For by grace are you saved.

You know, I think most of us have never really experienced grace. It was kind of like a doorman that I once heard about on Broadway. It was his job to greet all the theater goers, tell them the times, and answer any questions that they might have and yet in doing that for 13 years, he never saw or sat through an entire act of any production. That is about as close as some of us get to grace. We know what it is, we preach that Jesus saves, but we stand back and approach it from an academic view and try to figure out what it is and what meaning it has for our lives.

So what is grace. We can understand it in some of its more modern connotations. For example, there are provisions in insurance policies in case of a late payment. Those are periods of grace. I know some people that send their awkward daughter to dance school so that she might learn grace. If you ever are in England and meet a high ranking clergyman in the church of England, you are expected to address him as "Your grace" and when we sit around a dinner table, someone might bow their head and say grace. So what is grace?

Well, the Bible is varied in its use of the term as well. When we give, it is according to the measure of grace. When we are patient, it is due to the sufficiency of grace. When we pray we go to the throne of grace and when we are self-righteous we frustrate grace. So what is grace anyway?

Grace is a glimpse at the face of God. Better than any other term in scripture it describes how we respond to God in Christ Jesus. Grace means God can love me when I can not love myself. Grace means God can accept me, when I cannot accept myself. Grace is nothing less than the face which love wears when it meets human imperfection, doubt and guilt. And while it is good for us to know what grace is, it is quite another to learn by love to live in its light.

My Old Testament professor in college told us the story of why he never drank. It wasn't because he did have peer pressure to drink or had the opportunity. His father was an alcoholic and when he went to work with his father, his father would stop off at a bar and get drunk, while the son would just wait in the car. There was only one reason that he never drank...his mother hated it and he knew it and he just wasn't going to do that to her.

Now, if we can understand that, we can understand how grace has the power to draw forth from us good deeds and resistance to evil greater than any fear of punishment or prohibition. Grace does not become an become an excuse to sin. Paul said, "God forbid" to that. I would suggest grace is a new reason not to sin.

You see, with grace we don't get what we deserve and to that I say, "Praise God" because I know what I deserve.

With grace we are a bit like a rich women who wanted her portrait done and commissioned a young artist with a sizeable amount of money and charged him by saying, "Now young man, you do me justice" and he replied, "Ma'am, you don't need justice, you need mercy." Don't we all.

John Newton was a man who needed such mercy. As a sailor he literally burned up his youth in the pursuit of worldly desires. One night, after a storm at sea and under the tutelage of a godly sea captain, he came to know Jesus as lord and savior and penned in verse his experience in one of the most famous songs ever written. You know it...Amazing grace, how sweet the sound. That saved a wretch like me. I was once lost, but now I'm found. Was blind but now I see.

So, to what shall we appeal as we somehow face the thought of meeting our maker. To what shall we say brings us hope and helps us long for that day. The purity of our doctrine? The measure of our lives? The quality of our service? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. I think it is life at last that teaches us what the Bible has said all along...by grace are you saved...and isn't it amazing.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
The Dude
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000475
The Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot materialThe Dude is USC mascot material
Default Re: What is Grace?

Great post! Thanks!
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

My daughter's middle name....

but seriously, good stuff
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

2000...FANTASTIC!!!!
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
lencho30
KOLA

Male

CockyCash: 4200
lencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot materiallencho30 is USC mascot material

"For by grace are you saved and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God."

Great Post!
lencho30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
carolina80
Chaplain of CockyTalk

Male

CockyCash: 200
carolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot materialcarolina80 is USC mascot material

My friend, you have got it! Grace is the most misunderstood concept by modern man. You have addressed the essence of it all.

My ministry stresses the importance of grace. You are right; we all talk about it, celebrate it, preach it, and so on, but in reality we practice salvation by works. I stress to the people in my congregation, "It's not about religion; it's about relationship." Religion exhorts us to "do better"....Grace assures us "I'll take you as you are".

One Sunday I made the statement that I had absolutely no doubt in my mind I was going to heaven. After the service, a man cornered me and asked for clarification....He said he thought that the statement was "extremely arrogant".....I tried my best to tell him that I was sure I was going, because it had nothing to do with me.....It was all about what Jesus had already done. He could not wrap his head around the idea that he could not make himself presentable to God. I don't deserve it, could never achieve it, but it's mine because of grace.

I could go on, but you elucidated it well.....good job.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

What an absolutely wonderful post! Thank you!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Great post! You make some excellent points. I think grace is one of those things you can't really define but you know it when you see it.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Banned

Male

803 has earned his spurs803 has earned his spurs803 has earned his spurs803 has earned his spurs803 has earned his spurs803 has earned his spurs

Thats what it is about
803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
chinhaircock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
chinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudlychinhaircock is crowing loudly

God Is Good!!

8 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1939, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1985, 1987, 2009

8 UPPER-STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS: 1938, 1961, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009
chinhaircock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

What a great post!
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Superbly done.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
bertoholic
THAT Damn Good

Male

CockyCash: 14152650
bertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot materialbertoholic is USC mascot material

great stuff. pts when i can again.

If you don't know now you know....

Last edited by bertoholic; 03-31-2010 at 11:34 AM.
bertoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
CAROLINADESIGN
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 46505
CAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talonsCAROLINADESIGN has developed his gaff and talons

been awhile since my last post,,,, this deserves a comment!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
LOYALFAN
Walk On

Female

LOYALFAN has hatched from the shell

Thanks so much for a great post. We all need to be
reminded of this as often as possible, it is so true!
LOYALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #16
Tiger7013
Walk On

Male

Tiger7013 has hatched from the shell

Great post! Probably one of the best pieces I've read in a long time.
Tiger7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I thought that I would bump this since this is my annual Easter Post.

God Bless!

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

DUDE!! 2000!!!! You have just reached a newfound respect in my book man!! like REALLY, you have no idea how awesome that post is!! Points? I think so!! Hears a few verses I really like.

" But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions- it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Jesus Christ. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."- Ephesians 2:4-8 NIV
Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
NOBAMA
Mr. Popularity

Male

CockyCash: 1008011
NOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot materialNOBAMA is USC mascot material

Awesome & superb, thanks my friend for reminding us.

Fear the Gamecocks!
NOBAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. Points to you!

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote