CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
No Curse
markp_vip
The Yancey
acejrock
HeadCockFan
TKE226
SouthCGC
roosterdude21
onamission
A&M vent thread (21201)
SOS is pissed (10541)
So, Dylan Thompson? (4147)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Is anybody still opt (2732)
Confused fan here. (2543)
Man of my word (no t (2521)
I'm not looking forw (2379)
Here's a terrifying (2086)
Just a friendly PSA (1840)
Is anybody still optimist
A&M vent thread
great pic
Confused fan here. Why i
Could Mike Davis Be Back
Jimmies and Joes
More NCAA Stupidity: Vand
Acock's Wrap Up: TAMU
Predict the Season (After
So, Dylan Thompson?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
whitlocw
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
whitlocw has hatched from the shell
Default Lorenzo Ward's Play calling

I have heard multiple times in interviews with Ward and the players that they are excited about the defense this season b/c they will have more blitz packages and simply be more "aggressive" during the games. Here is my question: Why in the hell would you do that?
I understand that you might want to try and apply pressure on the QB if you don't have a good d-line but that obviously is not our weakness. This makes no sense to me at all. Why would you pull coverage guys out of the 1st and 2nd tier to help apply pressure when we will already get plenty of pressure? All you are doing is taking away coverage guys from an already weak secondary. I know this sounds more exciting and everything to players and fans but I am a lot more happier with the idea of a boring a defense that finishes 3rd in the country by merely using its defensive line to force pressure and make the QB realize that he has no where to throw it b/c 7 other players are in coverage. The defensive line ultimately should be responsible to force turnovers and not mixed blitz packages. If you have that luxury then use it! If we come out blitzing and finish around 50th in the country in defense then don't be surprised.
whitlocw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lorenzo Ward's Play calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlocw View Post
I have heard multiple times in interviews with Ward and the players that they are excited about the defense this season b/c they will have more blitz packages and simply be more "aggressive" during the games. Here is my question: Why in the hell would you do that?
I understand that you might want to try and apply pressure on the QB if you don't have a good d-line but that obviously is not our weakness. This makes no sense to me at all. Why would you pull coverage guys out of the 1st and 2nd tier to help apply pressure when we will already get plenty of pressure? All you are doing is taking away coverage guys from an already weak secondary. I know this sounds more exciting and everything to players and fans but I am a lot more happier with the idea of a boring a defense that finishes 3rd in the country by merely using its defensive line to force pressure and make the QB realize that he has no where to throw it b/c 7 other players are in coverage. The defensive line ultimately should be responsible to force turnovers and not mixed blitz packages. If you have that luxury then use it! If we come out blitzing and finish around 50th in the country in defense then don't be surprised.
Ellis ! ........... Is this really you ?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
That is hilarious, Spurt!!! LMAO!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

You know why Arkansas ate up Ellis Johnson the last 3 years? Because we sat back and let them attack us.

We also avoided playing competent passing teams last year which inflated our stats defensively against the pass. The teams that did throw the ball well, ate our defense for lunch, statistically speaking.
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

Let me pull some stats up for you but if you don't blitz and the offense knows that they will eat you up b/c all they have to do is roll the QB out and play the numbers game.....When Ward says we will blitz more it does not mean you are going to see a blitz every play but when he sees the opportunity to blitz where Ellis might have not he is going to do it.

Blitzing is not a bad thing even if you have a great line b/c it makes a QB think and make a quicker decision and this is where INT's and bad throws come in. You may think Clowney and Taylor are the best thing since slice bread but they are still blockable and if a team knows we aren't going to blitz they will sceam against that and eat us up like Arkansas did last year!

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Carolina_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Coaches say stuff like that in interviews too. I expect we'll be very similar. I remember mike minter talking about how he was going to be more agressive.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

My list of the best DC's we've had during my lifetime:1) Charlie Strong: 2) Ellis Johnson: 3) Joe Lee Dunn
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20258950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The OP's points aren't bad but I also think Ward clarified this a few weeks back. He said he won't be reckless with it but wants to create more confusion by using angles and delays. While we've gotten excellent pressure, I felt our blitzes under EJ, overall, were mostly useless. They were picked up most of the time.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Unknit
4-Star

Male

Unknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talonsUnknit has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlocw View Post
50th in the country? I totally agree with you, if you are talking about when they blitz blindfolded walking backwards...on their hands. Even at that, you are still looking at a top 25 finish as long as they have the correct handstand technique down, needless to say of course...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

The D line drops in a lot of packages so just because you blitz doesn't mean you lose numbers in coverage 100% of the time. Mixing up where the pressure is coming from and dropping our D line into coverage underneath will be a very difficult defense to play call against.
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Berry
Sherlock

Male

CockyCash: 17578666
Berry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot materialBerry is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
My list of the best DC's we've had during my lifetime:1) Charlie Strong: 2) Ellis Johnson: 3) Joe Lee Dunn
All I can remember from Charlie Strong's defense, was giving up 3rd and long and 3rd and very long.
Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Ideally, yes you get pressure with only 4, but that won't happen consistently against many of the teams we play. As for the reasoning on our secondary getting eaten alive if we blitz you can also make the argument that they'll get destroyed if we don't blitz, as it's easier to cover a WR for 3 seconds then it is for 10. I don't think Ward will be stupid with it, as opposing playcallers will just dial up plays that take advantage of an overly aggressive D.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Well I was just thinking how horrible our offenses were then, but I guess you're right, and they were pretty mediocre to terrible for Ellis as well. Charlie's best defense might have been in 1999 when we went winless, man that offense was crap. Let me revise: 1) ellis johnson; 2) Charlie strong; 3) Joe Lee Dunn
Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I don't think that we really know what Ward plans to do. After a few games, we can get an idea. Right now, its all just talk. He may not blitz much at all. He might just be saying that to throw teams off.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material

E.J. called a lot of base defenses last year. Teams like Arkansas will eat those up. If you aren't switching things up, and getting to the QB, you're bound to give up some yardage.
longcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Seems to me that we've got an awesome d line that most of the time can give an O line all it can handle. By sending in an extra guy (see first D play of the clemson game I believe) you stand a pretty good chance of breaking that line and getting to the QB. Do it in different and creative ways several times a series and the O won't know what hit 'em. Confusion and frustration for the O will result, and our O will get the ball back a lot faster and with better field position.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
Carolina_Harv

Male

Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

Alright some stats from the teams we played last year:

ECU- 29th Passing went for 260yds
UGA- 48th Passing went for 248yds
NAVY- 119th Passing went for 61yds
VANDY- 97th Passing went for 73yds
AUB- 105th Passing went for 112yds
KEN- 114th Passing went for 17yds
MISS ST- 94th Passing went for 165yds
TENN- 50th Passing went for 151yds
ARK- 13th Passing went for 299yds
FLA- 89th Passing went for 119yds
CIT- Not listed don't really matter the threw the ball like once
CLEM- 21st Passing went for 83yds (This stat is inflated cus Boyd had a good first half of the season)
NEB- 104th Passing went for 116yds

Overall Carolina Defensive Stats:

Sacks- tied for 25th with 31 (This could be improved big time with the blitz)
INT- tied for 6th with 19 (This is going to drop with our lack of depth)
PPG- 10th with 18.4
YDS- 2nd with 3480 (WE GOT KILLED ON THE RUSH see next stat but mostly cus of Navy and Citidel in the same year)
RUSH- 46th with 1768yds
PASS- 2nd with 1712yds but this is skewed

So looking at the passing we were second in the nation but 7 teams out of the 13 teams on our schedule that were 89th or worse in the country in passing! Two out of the three teams in the top 21 killed us in passing ECU and Arky.....UGA who was 48th in passing killed us with 248yds they found our weakness! Our defense was good last year but this is a different team with some different players and Ward is gonna do what he needs to do to win football games! Blitzing will help also in the sense of rushing the QB and give him less time to sit and read the defense which will allow the DB's and Saftey's a chance at more picks!

**SIG created by cack
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Carolina_Harv

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
The D line drops in a lot of packages so just because you blitz doesn't mean you lose numbers in coverage 100% of the time. Mixing up where the pressure is coming from and dropping our D line into coverage underneath will be a very difficult defense to play call against.
This is so true! When you have huge DE's like Taylor and Clowney and if you even go back to some of our more athletic guys like Norwood when he did play DE and Ingram you would see these guys drop into coverage and do a damn good job at it and even get some INT's! I love this in a defense b/c if the DE drops you have no idea sometimes where the other guy that may be rushing is coming from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Seems to me that we've got an awesome d line that most of the time can give an O line all it can handle. By sending in an extra guy (see first D play of the clemson game I believe) you stand a pretty good chance of breaking that line and getting to the QB. Do it in different and creative ways several times a series and the O won't know what hit 'em. Confusion and frustration for the O will result, and our O will get the ball back a lot faster and with better field position.

This is so on point! Confusion is a defenses best friend! Blitzing is used to keep the Offense on their toes and keep them honest.....If you rush 4 and drop the rest the whole game that is pretty easy to scheme against!

**SIG created by cack
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
You know why Arkansas ate up Ellis Johnson the last 3 years? Because we sat back and let them attack us.

We also avoided playing competent passing teams last year which inflated our stats defensively against the pass. The teams that did throw the ball well, ate our defense for lunch, statistically speaking.
Yep! This is my biggest concern going into the year. Any team with a decent passing game last year killed us(besides clemson) and we lost our top 3 corners and Allen at Spur. It doesn't help that our depth at CB and S is razor thin.
PageUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #20
Wkrice91
Blue Chip

Male

Wkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudlyWkrice91 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote