CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
Coulwoodwarlord
WeStillOwnUSC
ZenUSC
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
cockybusiness2
SpurProsecutor
Pw00132
Kentucky prediction (1802)
Just Booked my Hotel (1213)
Best position coach (640)
So What? (630)
The New Idea That'll (511)
Waldrop doubtful for (392)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (340)
So What? (219)
We Have A New KO Guy (215)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (200)
The New Idea That'll Fix
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Build a New Stadium
We Have A New KO Guy
4th & 1 Play
Kentucky prediction
Dylan Thompson looks brok
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Just Booked my Hotel for
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

View Poll Results: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Seed #1: GUNS N ROSES 16 61.54%
Seed #2: MOTLEY CRUE 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: Final Round (#1) Guns N Roses vs. (#2) Motley Crue

THE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Vote for your favorite between these two bands

Seed #1: GUNS N ROSES

Seed #2: MOTLEY CRUE

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: Final Round (#1) Guns N Roses vs. (#2) Motley Crue

I Voted for Motley Crue
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default Re: BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: Final Round (#1) Guns N Roses vs. (#2) Motley Crue

GNR.

Never got into Motley Crew too much. They had some good songs. But GNR definitely appealed to me more.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Thanks, Spurt, for running this contest.

I'm not a big fan of "hair band" as a moniker. A number of high-quality bands got swept up in the hairspray/makeup fad of the 80s. In my opinion, especially with the benefit of a few decades, this shouldn't exactly qualify them as hair bands. And I know, Spurt, what you've said about hair bands, and I agree. So, don't take this as a shot at your poll.

GnR was a bit like a shooting star. Super-talented, ego-laden, crazy, and with the ability to make timeless music. AFD is an unforgettable "debut", although some would argue that it wasn't truly their debut. Tracing their roots to the Stones with heavy doses of metal and punk, with a bit of Sunset Strip glam, GnR pounded out a number of memorable songs before their untimely demise due to over-production and Axl Rose's condition.

The Crue were a hard-driving, drug and whiskey-fueled rock band who cut a gaping swath through a decade of fantastic music. Beginning as a demonic LA band with a punk/metal sound, they ended up making radio-ready music that was good and, like their competitor, a tad over-produced in its later stages.

For me, music vs music, Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, along with select cuts from the two Use Your Illusion albums (especially the lesser known cuts, like "Dead Horse") surpass pretty much anything the Crue ever mustered.

I like both bands, so it's not easy for me to give the nod to GnR, but I did.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Thanks, Spurt, for running this contest.

I'm not a big fan of "hair band" as a moniker. A number of high-quality bands got swept up in the hairspray/makeup fad of the 80s. In my opinion, especially with the benefit of a few decades, this shouldn't exactly qualify them as hair bands. And I know, Spurt, what you've said about hair bands, and I agree. So, don't take this as a shot at your poll.

GnR was a bit like a shooting star. Super-talented, ego-laden, crazy, and with the ability to make timeless music. AFD is an unforgettable "debut", although some would argue that it wasn't truly their debut. Tracing their roots to the Stones with heavy doses of metal and punk, with a bit of Sunset Strip glam, GnR pounded out a number of memorable songs before their untimely demise due to over-production and Axl Rose's condition.

The Crue were a hard-driving, drug and whiskey-fueled rock band who cut a gaping swath through a decade of fantastic music. Beginning as a demonic LA band with a punk/metal sound, they ended up making radio-ready music that was good and, like their competitor, a tad over-produced in its later stages.

For me, music vs music, Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, along with select cuts from the two Use Your Illusion albums (especially the lesser known cuts, like "Dead Horse") surpass pretty much anything the Crue ever mustered.

I like both bands, so it's not easy for me to give the nod to GnR, but I did.
Appreciate the props Legalman. I like doing these from time to time. I
usually run them right after football season is over to have something
to occupy the time in the off season.
Regardless of my opinion I will never take offense to someone else's
opinion in here for any reason. In fact, the major thing that made me
start doing these a few years ago was to hear everyone's opinion. The
board has always had some good discussions about music (something I
love to talk about), and that would not be the case if everyone had the
same tastes or opinion.
I knew as soon as GNR was voted in (and voted in as the overwhelming
Top seed), that they would probably end up winning this tournament. I
said right up front that I wanted to keep the guidelines simple and let
the outcome fall in place "howeve it shakes out". I didn't want to get into
specific guidelines for what was / wasn't a Hair band type of artist. I
also said that it's all for fun, and I wanted to see what the board members
thought during all this.
Whether I agree with the votes or opinions isn't important. I just stated
that I didn't think GNR belonged in this poll to begin with, and I've voted
based on that opinion when GNR was in the matchups.

It was fun, and it was interesting. That's all I care about. I agree with
everyone that GNR is the best band in this tournament. I just don't think
they should be here to start with, but the majority of voters disagrees with
that, and I'm fine with it as well. Thanks again for the props, and for
yours (and everyone who participated) views and opinions.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Guns N Roses. I just like their music more.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Tough one for me. I liked both. Strictly speaking for Hair Bands that is. Always will be a Metallica Fan, but for Hair bands, I guess I have to go with Motley Crue.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Well, anyone who's read my previous comments in this series knows my opinion on both entities

And that I'm not right in the head, but that's besides the point
Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default BEST HAIR BAND TOURNAMENT: Final Round (#1) Guns N Roses vs. (#2) Motley Crue

If Slash's hair doesn't qualify GnR as a hair band....
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Crue's music wasn't that good. As a band and image, they were fantastic. As musicians, bleh!!

GnR had all the drama, some hair, and much better music.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I never considered GnR a hair band but whatever. I give them my vote as y'all said. Overall, just a better band with better music.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

I voted in this tournament for the first time. My criteria was, which band kicks more ass?

GnR had some songs which kicked ass, but quite a few which kicked no ass at all.

No ass was kicked by November Rain, Civil War, and Live & let Die.

In fact, they should be penalized for Live & Let Die. That was crap.

Crue, on the other hand - they were not the best musicians, they just kicked more ass.

Too Young To Fall In Love is an example. That kicks ass. So do most of their other songs.

Girls Girls Girls doesn't *technically* kick alot of ass, but if you saw it at a strip club when you were in your 20's like I did, it kicked serious ass at that moment.

So Motley Crue wins, because hair metal is about kicking ass, and Guns n Roses were wimpy in the kick ass department. This is because of all the piano power ballads that sucked.

Also, I saw both bands live (GnR in Charlotte in like 1994 or 5, Motley Crue at some crappy state fair in 1999 or something) and Motley Crue kicked more ass live.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
So Motley Crue wins, because hair metal is about kicking ass, and Guns n Roses were wimpy in the kick ass department. This is because of all the piano power ballads that sucked.
Hmmm...

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
spareparts
Banned

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

All of those videos are of songs that blow away the power ballads by GnR I mentioned. Anything you can offer by Motley Crue in the "sucks" department is trumped by Live & Let Die. That tips the scales.

In fact, had Guns & Roses not been popular at that point, I am confident that Live & Let Die would have gotten them alot of ridicule. That's how bad that crap is.

When Axl sings "when you were yoooooouuuunnnnggg" - like his voice right there on the "young" part - is freaking terrible. No person in their right mind would have ever thought that shit was any good, except by that time they were already super popular and their fans were prepared to buy anything they did, regardless if it was any good or not. They could have put out an album of them burping and farting, and everyone would have run right out and bought it.

In fact, the next best thing to burping and farting was "Use Your Illusion II" which sucked.

So regardless of the shitty power ballads that Crue had, they were still better than that moment in "LIve and Let Die" when Axl sings "when you were yaaaaahhhhnnngggg".
Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Hey, it's your vote. I choose to judge the best, by the best of what someone produced...or, at least, by the overall body of work. If the worst moment in a band's history defines that band, many great artists would be crap.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
spareparts
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Hey, it's your vote. I choose to judge the best, by the best of what someone produced...or, at least, by the overall body of work. If the worst moment in a band's history defines that band, many great artists would be crap.
Look at it this way. Two hot girls, which one would you ask out? They are both smokin hot. Both have their fair share of issues, but they are both the Top 2 available.

Suddenly, one of them cuts the cheese right there in front of you - she's off the list immediately, I don't care who you are.

That's how I feel about this poll
Old 04-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

GNR came in at a time that we really needed some edgy music & it caught on. The lollipop bubblegum shit was running rampant & GNR squashed it like a bug. That being said I really liked GNR in the moment, when I listen these days I kind of feel silly for being a fan (BTW fox 102 really loves them some GNR). However, I never ever was a fan of Motley Crew so this one is a toss up. I voted GNR
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Look at it this way. Two hot girls, which one would you ask out? They are both smokin hot. Both have their fair share of issues, but they are both the Top 2 available.

Suddenly, one of them cuts the cheese right there in front of you - she's off the list immediately, I don't care who you are.

Well...if you put it that way. Ha!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

The winner of this tournament turns out to not be a hair band at all.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #20
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Hold up Tex!

So you're saying that you cut the hot chick that clearly does anal?