CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
kabercr2
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
Spurticus
GamecockSuperFan
GoldenSpur7
tcmac08
Take-a-Knee
CoverTwo
**USC vs. South Alab (16978)
TV?? (1817)
Drew Owens missing? (1562)
Clemson (1163)
Awful Shooting Conti (913)
Question about after (769)
Gamecock Men Have Be (759)
Dylan Thompson surpa (559)
Prayers needed!!! (371)
How about this scena (327)
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Question about after the
Mason Rudolph starting fo
2014 Class AA Division I
FishFry 47-yarder
Dylan Thompson surpasses
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Louisville vs. Notre Dame
Clemson
2 Carolina-Clemson Tix Se

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #21
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
It's really much simpler than this, it's just about the money. The NBA is a business, and they can't afford to keep him anymore. Players won't want to play for him, coaches won't want to coach for him, and numerous fans won't show up to the games. And all of this is due to his views being made public. You can argue that the way they were made public was wrong, but that is what they are, and it is detrimental to the league from a financial standpoint.

So the solution is simple, he can't be a part of it anymore. He is free to think whatever he wants, no one is throwing him in jail. But what he thinks can have consequences on who wants to associate with him, and in this case he is part of a business that requires sponsorships, fans and players, none of which want to be near him now.
you are absolutely right. he hurt the league itself. he damaged the other teams value and that can't stand
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_robbins View Post
they really violated his first amendment here
i'm pretty sure the 1st amendment protects individuals from the GOVERNMENT, not their EMPLOYER

i can't go onto a client site for work and go on a racist tirade and not expect my employer to punish me (deservedly)
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_robbins View Post
they really violated his first amendment here
I wonder what his first amendment was. Who is him?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #24
myrtsmom
Recruit

Female

myrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spursmyrtsmom has earned his spurs

Wow! Really think CNN could have found somebody else with an NBA background other than Isiah Thomas to discuss the Sterling issue with. Getting commentary from someone convicted of sexual harassment about someone being a racist doesn't really mesh well.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I don't get it. I mean I would think the guy would have eventually had to step down and/or sell the franchise just because the players would boycott the franchise.

Obviously, his personal views are considered to be in poor taste in the U.S. in 2014 by a lot of people... but it seems like the NBA really went overboard on this one. I mean you're basically banning and fining an 80 year old man for being racist. WTF.

I mean, what's next? Is a disgruntled employee going to record a 70 year old owner saying he thinks homosexuality is a sin? This just seems kind of wrong.
Because of his age, this is similar to the Paterno situation.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #26
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
doubt anyone thinks it does
The Media does, and there are some recent incidents that prove that, the OK Track player getting shot while running is one incident, that got labeled as a tragedy by most of the media, when it was blatant racism.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #27
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
i'm pretty sure the 1st amendment protects individuals from the GOVERNMENT, not their EMPLOYER

i can't go onto a client site for work and go on a racist tirade and not expect my employer to punish me (deservedly)
Don't always agree with things you say, but this is spot on.

(And I'm a very big fan of the Constitution).
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #28
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

So PRIVATE conversations are now grounds for this nonsense? Jay-Z better be forced out as well since he is one of the master race pimps. Is this what America has become a nation of blatant hypocrisy? If you are black you can be racist but if you are white you better watch out because you will get destroyed personally and financially. I may not agree with what Sterling said but by God he has the right to voice it in , the fact is that this conversation took place in private and since when is it the NBA's responsibility to go prying into owner's personal lives anyway? Did Sterling come out in a press conference and rant and rave about gays or blacks? No he did not he has a right to his opinions and should not be placed in a situation like this for expressing his opinions PRIVATELY. No wonder people are leaving this pathetic excuse for a country.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #29
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
The Media does, and there are some recent incidents that prove that, the OK Track player getting shot while running is one incident, that got labeled as a tragedy by most of the media, when it was blatant racism.

Theoretically, the media reflects public sentiment.

So, if the public gets up in arms over those incidents you say were missed...well, go start a protest. Raise a stink. Make your voice heard.

But if you do none of those things- don't whine and complain when an incident IS called for what it is...in this case, blatantly racist.

I honestly do not get the reaction by some on this (and other) forums. Reactions like this, where people seem to want to dismiss this incident because of a perceived injustice that didnt invoke equal outrage.

Its incredibly odd.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #30
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
So PRIVATE conversations are now grounds for this nonsense? Jay-Z better be forced out as well since he is one of the master race pimps. Is this what America has become a nation of blatant hypocrisy? If you are black you can be racist but if you are white you better watch out because you will get destroyed personally and financially. I may not agree with what Sterling said but by God he has the right to voice it in , the fact is that this conversation took place in private and since when is it the NBA's responsibility to go prying into owner's personal lives anyway? Did Sterling come out in a press conference and rant and rave about gays or blacks? No he did not he has a right to his opinions and should not be placed in a situation like this for expressing his opinions PRIVATELY. No wonder people are leaving this pathetic excuse for a country.

I'm so glad you don't have a degree from my University.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #31
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Theoretically, the media reflects public sentiment.

So, if the public gets up in arms over those incidents you say were missed...well, go start a protest. Raise a stink. Make your voice heard.

But if you do none of those things- don't whine and complain when an incident IS called for what it is...in this case, blatantly racist.

I honestly do not get the reaction by some on this (and other) forums. Reactions like this, where people seem to want to dismiss this incident because of a perceived injustice that didnt invoke equal outrage.

Its incredibly odd.
Guess what how wrong has the media been wrong damn wrong for the last few years not to mention when the media convicted Zimmerman in the court of public opinion when in fact he was found INNOCENT. The MSM is full of white guilt race baiters which is why we get the fiascos like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #32
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
So PRIVATE conversations are now grounds for this nonsense?
Not just 'now'...it has been for some time. I'm not sure who YOU work for, but something tells me most employers would not stand for this sort of behavior, if it affects their bottom line (which this incident most definitely did / would)

Quote:
Jay-Z better be forced out as well since he is one of the master race pimps.
Well, its a matter for his EMPLOYER to consider. Who is his employer? I thought he owned his own business. Maybe I'm not up to speed on pop culture icons. But, lets just say he is not...why doesnt his employer hold him accountable for being a 'master race pimp?' Well, maybe they dont feel his actions hurt their bottom line.

You see, its NOT hypocrisy when you recognize one very basic fact...

The United States is a BUSINESS.
It is ALL about the bottom line.

Once you accept that- then everything becomes completely logical (regarding these matters)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:

well said
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #34
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Jay Z doesn't have ownership in the Nets anymore.
(His .16 percent stake)

He sold his stake in 2013.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

the NBA can't make the team be sold. His wife owns 50% percent and she has done nothing wrong. But they could get close to a billion dollars for the clippers. The bucks went for $550 million with 9 bidders when valued at $400 million. The clippers are valued at $550 million. The clippers would have at least double that many bidders and with it being in LA it would be 3/4 to 1 billion dollar sale point.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #36
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Guess what how wrong has the media been wrong damn wrong for the last few years not to mention when the media convicted Zimmerman in the court of public opinion when in fact he was found INNOCENT. The MSM is full of white guilt race baiters which is why we get the fiascos like this.

Actually, Zimmerman was found not guilty. Just sayin'.

Also- who gives a **** about the MSM? Don't like it? Don't watch it.
Simple solution.

The Sterling incident has NOTHING to do with the MSM.
It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Sterling made statements (often times, publicly) that jeopardized the profitability of the NBA (however marginally)

Again- this strange, pseudo-defense of Sterling is very unsettling.
And telling.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #37
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I'm so glad you don't have a degree from my University.
Must be nice to rape people's FREEDOM OF SPEECH, this is not the country I served for 6.5 years in the military. I don't hear you demanding that Jay-Z be forced out when he has been caught publicly BANNING WHITE PEOPLE from an afterparty. I can't stand blatant hypocrisy. By the way if you don't believe everyone is an entitled to their own opinion then please remove yourself my country. But then again I am expecting people to actually think like a libertarian.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #38
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
They are treading on dangerous ground with this decision. Everybody of all races better be held to the same standard on this issue or the shit is going to hit the fan. The guy is clearly a racist, but I just never knew private conversations could be used by an employer to fire someone. I would love to know some of the skeletons in the closet of some the people raising hell over this.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Jay Z doesn't have ownership in the Nets anymore.
exactly and he never owned the nets anyway. he owned 1/6th of 1 percent. does Jason Kidd still own half of JayZ previous 1/6th?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #40
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Must be nice to rape people's FREEDOM OF SPEECH

See, I'm glad you didnt get your degree from my alma mater because you apparently know NOTHING about the Constitution.

As I pointed out before- the 1st amendment does not protect you from your EMPLOYER. It protects you from the GOVERNMENT.

STERLING ISN'T BEING PROSECUTED BY THE GOVERNMENT.

Ergo...1st amendment not violated. Not at all, not even a little bit.

You fail...AGAIN.
Closed Thread