CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
b381l
gamecockgal
catdaddy66
M.C.
crowcutta
Jwilson
**USC vs. South Alab (18347)
Drew Owens missing? (2171)
Clemson (2165)
Question about after (1587)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1173)
Shaq Roland (1115)
FishFry 47-yarder (662)
clemson game time: N (569)
How about this scena (508)
Tenn-Mizzou game (272)
Question about after the
what I think ab ward
Clemson
2014 Charleston Classic *
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Winston
UFC Fight Night 57: Frank
**USC vs. South Alabama G
clemson game time: Noon o
Big George Statue

Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #21
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Damn a slimy Cottonmouth Snake!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  115.9 KB
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #22
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Yes! Both looked like the top snake... Copperhead?

I went back fishing this evening, and one of the guys out there said they have had a couple of Copperheads in their yard.
Both of those pictures are of Copperheads. I haven't seen a snake yet
this spring, but from what I hear around work, most people are seeing a
lot of snakes so far this year, and most of the people I talk to are seeing
a lot of copperheads while they're out working in their yards or hiking.

Most people who misidentify snakes usually claim they saw a copperhead
for some reason or other. There are a couple of snakes that "resemble"
copperheads, but copperheads are pretty distinguishable. The wild caught
cornsnake I had for a while was going to be killed by some guys where
I work because they thought it was a copperhead. However, the guys
I have spoken to so far this year are familiar with snakes and spend a lot
of time in the outdoors and they are saying they're seeing more copperheads
this year than they usually do.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #23
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Both of those pictures are of Copperheads. I haven't seen a snake yet
this spring, but from what I hear around work, most people are seeing a
lot of snakes so far this year, and most of the people I talk to are seeing
a lot of copperheads while they're out working in their yards or hiking.

Most people who misidentify snakes usually claim they saw a copperhead
for some reason or other. There are a couple of snakes that "resemble"
copperheads, but copperheads are pretty distinguishable. The wild caught
cornsnake I had for a while was going to be killed by some guys where
I work because they thought it was a copperhead. However, the guys
I have spoken to so far this year are familiar with snakes and spend a lot
of time in the outdoors and they are saying they're seeing more copperheads
this year than they usually do.
There are a lot of copperheads this year. I have seen a lot more than I usually do this time of year.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Lot of uncertainty around whether the snake in question was a cottonmouth or not.

When in doubt...kill it.
Preferably with fire.
After decapitating it.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #25
Tony
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 350
Tony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talonsTony has developed his gaff and talons

Copperheads love a woodpile especially if covered with a tarp. Just be careful when digging through any lumber or junk stored outside. They are not real aggressive. A common snake we see in creeks is the banded water snake. Some people just assume any snake in or near water is a moccasin, they are actually very rare in western half of SC.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #26
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

I have trouble identifying snakes. It is really hard after the the head explodes.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I hate snakes....all of them.

Even dead, they give me the creeps.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #28
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

If you google cottonmouth this thread is the first thing that comes up.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #29
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
If you google cottonmouth this thread is the first thing that comes up.
Damn! Im famous..
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #30
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUniversityofSC View Post
Na, probably a rat snake. Trust me, I'm with DNR.
Lol. I see what you did there.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #31
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

i worked in some swampy areas with a fella, every snake that we saw he said was a red bellied water snake, no matter what size, shape, or pattern

he didnt want me to quit too
Old 05-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Heard a rattling in the leaves this past fall, looked down to see a rattler attached to some sort of rattle snake atleast 5 feet long. Until then I didn't realize rattle snakes were in the upstate. It was right along a river.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Heard a rattling in the leaves this past fall, looked down to see a rattler attached to some sort of rattle snake atleast 5 feet long. Until then I didn't realize rattle snakes were in the upstate. It was right along a river.
The upstate has both Timber rattlesnakes and pygmy rattlesnakes. Timber
Rattlesnakes can get BIG, but most of them are around 3.5 to 4 feet long
as adults. There have been some caught up there that push 6.5 feet.
I've seen three in my lifetime, and all of them were in the upper part of
Greenville and Pickens County .. Around Marietta, Blue Ride and I saw one when I was
an older teen when I was coming down the trail from the THE ROCK, and
Table Rock St. Park. I've seen a couple of Pygmy Rattlers when I lived up
that way too. They usually like to stay around Rocky crevices, or along
railroad tracks.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #34
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material

My buddy who is an ER doc says this month and October are the most common for snake bites.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #35
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

lol trust that guy with the dnr

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #36
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

I put the shovel on a 3ft copperhead just a couple days ago in my dirt driveway in heavy woods.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #37
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Yes! Both looked like the top snake... Copperhead?

I went back fishing this evening, and one of the guys out there said they have had a couple of Copperheads in their yard.
Excellent. YOu went from one species of Agkistrodon to another...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #38
CaptainCock91
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The upstate has both Timber rattlesnakes and pygmy rattlesnakes.
No Eastern Diamondbacks?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #39
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
No Eastern Diamondbacks?
Thats more of the eastern part of the state. Usually midlands and east.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #40
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
No Eastern Diamondbacks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
Thats more of the eastern part of the state. Usually midlands and east.
^
What he said

EDBs are all over the place along the mid and southern coast of SC
and have been rarely found anywhere in SC North / northwest of
Orangeburg in this state.

There are only 6 breeds of venous snakes in SC. Only Two of those can be
found throughout the entire state. (Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes).
Of the other four, according to where you live in SC, you will see no
more than three / four venomous snakes of the 36 breeds of snakes that
are found in SC with the exception of the mid / southern coast, which
has five breeds of Hots.... everything except for Pygmy Rattlesnakes.