CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
QCB
Storm Of Spurs
For Discussing The C (3464)
Drew Owens missing? (2483)
Question about after (2399)
Shaq Roland (1507)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1500)
clemson game time: N (992)
FishFry 47-yarder (772)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
Mason Rudolph starti (309)
UFC Fight Night 57: (293)
Dylan Thompson surpasses
The Defense
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Question about after the
Na'ty Rogers
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Senior Day RB Participant
2015 - Daniel Fennell
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Mason Rudolph starting fo

Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Preferred Walk-On's

We've talked a lot recently about the lack of talent in our state, really since 2011.

I was wondering and looking through state rankings and why don't we offer some of the borderline D1 guys preferred walk on spots? They aren't signing a letter or intent but they are promised a spot on the team.

These are some guys who I think could would've been worthy of a preferred walk on offer:

Shakeem Wharton- RB, Brynes HS 2012, 5'9 215
D.J Goodman- ATH, Greenwood HS 2012, 5'11 190
Mykal Moody- ATH, Conway HS, 2013, 5'10 185
Akia Booker- WR, Brynes HS, 2013, 6'0 175
Shaedon Meadors, WR, Brynes HS, 6'2 180

Those are just a few guys who I noticed either went to smaller schools like App State or ECU or no where at all but were all on our recruiting radars.

Anyone think it'd be a good idea or would it not even be worth it etc?
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
sunbeam
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Preferred Walk-On's

Not sure. If I really wanted to play football in college, even after no big schools offered me I'd take a scholarship to a good program like App State over being a walk on of any sort at a school that passed on me.

Not because of sour grapes, but it is a scholarship, and odds are I'd be in the mix to play from the beginning.

That's just the way I think though. Unless I am more focused on life after college, and the school that offered me to walk on is like Georgia Tech or something, and my being a "preferred walk on" enhanced the odds I'd be admitted.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Not sure. If I really wanted to play football in college, even after no big schools offered me I'd take a scholarship to a good program like App State over being a walk on of any sort at a school that passed on me.

Not because of sour grapes, but it is a scholarship, and odds are I'd be in the mix to play from the beginning.

That's just the way I think though. Unless I am more focused on life after college, and the school that offered me to walk on is like Georgia Tech or something, and my being a "preferred walk on" enhanced the odds I'd be admitted.
+1
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
We've talked a lot recently about the lack of talent in our state, really since 2011.

I was wondering and looking through state rankings and why don't we offer some of the borderline D1 guys preferred walk on spots? They aren't signing a letter or intent but they are promised a spot on the team.

These are some guys who I think could would've been worthy of a preferred walk on offer:

Shakeem Wharton- RB, Brynes HS 2012, 5'9 215
D.J Goodman- ATH, Greenwood HS 2012, 5'11 190
Mykal Moody- ATH, Conway HS, 2013, 5'10 185
Akia Booker- WR, Brynes HS, 2013, 6'0 175
Shaedon Meadors, WR, Brynes HS, 6'2 180

Those are just a few guys who I noticed either went to smaller schools like App State or ECU or no where at all but were all on our recruiting radars.

Anyone think it'd be a good idea or would it not even be worth it etc?
I think Booker has grade problems......also, perhaps these kids parents can't afford college for their sons.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Not sure about the others but I understood that Mykal Moody didn't have the grades to get in, which is why he mostly got offers from smaller FBS schools or FCS ones. He was initially committed to ECU, but instead went to a JUCO in Kansas for a year and then transferred to SC St....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I think Akai Booker would've been a top level recruit if it weren't for grades. That kid could ball
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think Booker has grade problems......also, perhaps these kids parents can't afford college for their sons.
Right, and I kinda figured that would be the "biggest" reason.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Can someone explain the difference between a preferred walk on and a grayshirt? A grayshirt is just someone who is promised a scholarship next year and has no involvement with the team, correct? Where as a P.W.O. practices and all that jazz, just no scholly promise?
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
I think Akai Booker would've been a top level recruit if it weren't for grades. That kid could ball
Akia Booker is one of the biggest SC HS "What ifs" to me of all time. That guy's a stud. Such a waste.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote