CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Freshman ND WR " (923)
Call of Duty: Advanc (548)
Good Riddance to bad (493)
Keeping tailgate foo (333)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (311)
The Comeback & T (262)
Bashing Players, coa (262)
An A to Z of Noah We (227)
Wallpaper & Back (128)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (116)
Texas athletic director:
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
TeMarcus Blanton
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun

Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Jaylen Shaw to Transfer

Per GCC. Not particularly surprised.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Jaylen Shaw to Transfer

I'm sorry to hear that; I thought he had potential.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Sad to hear. IMO he contributed faster than either McKie or Theus, and was always wondering what part of Coach Martin's doghouse he got himself into to keep him from playing more that he did. I thought for the few minutes he played he did pretty great scoring from the field, and he had a positive assist-turnover ratio. I guess he feels he'll get squeezed out of PT with Stroman on the way in. We need to nab Dozier and Woods..
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Woods would be the equivalent of Clowney to football and Wilson to Womens BB. I would be over the top if he committed to us!!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #5
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

There goes one of the few shooters we had left. We better hope that we get House and he can play right away
Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Sad to hear. IMO he contributed faster than either McKie or Theus, and was always wondering what part of Coach Martin's doghouse he got himself into to keep him from playing more that he did. I thought for the few minutes he played he did pretty great scoring from the field, and he had a positive assist-turnover ratio. I guess he feels he'll get squeezed out of PT with Stroman on the way in. We need to nab Dozier and Woods..
I had season's tickets this year and was able to be at most of the games.
In one of the early games (might have been Manhattan, but not sure) Jaylen was inserted at point and had several turnovers in a row. Frank called a timeout and to my knowledge Jaylen did not return as the point for any more significant stretches. He had several games where he shot/ scored well and when he was attacking to score he made some great passes off of those drives. In fairness, Jaylen made several impressive feeds to our big men that they were not good enough to catch, and that hurt his turnover ratio... but to my eyes, when he was trying to run the show he was not proficient enough with the ball.

I believe his best position was at shooting guard but Frank likes tall guards and Jaylen had trouble defending taller guards. I haven't seen Stroman play, but understand he is a very good ball handler- so I believe Jaylen was not expecting to get significant PT as you surmised.
carolinacocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

FM seems to be really having a hard time finding players that fit his scheme. This team has become a turnstile. Shaw was not going to see the floor much, but I sure hope we have better players coming. He needs to make improvements fast before he loses fans and his own players.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

You get what you recruit. Star ratings in basketball are much more of an exact science than they are with football. No offense to Shaw but he was a 2 star out of high school with us and Clemson being his only major offers. I've come to not expect much from the little-known 2 star players we get because they are often the guys that get shuffled in and out of the program. By all accounts Shaw's a good kid, and I hope he lands somewhere he can get some playing time to show what he can do. Hopefully we can bring in a better talent to replace him.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
FM seems to be really having a hard time finding players that fit his scheme. This team has become a turnstile. Shaw was not going to see the floor much, but I sure hope we have better players coming. He needs to make improvements fast before he loses fans and his own players.
Frank is assembling a puzzle without knowing what the picture looks like. He's gotta try the pieces he thinks might fit and if they don't, swap them out until he gets the right combination. Like Coach Staley, once Frank finds the right pieces that create the team he's looking for, the transfers will calm down dramatically. That probably won't happen for another season or two.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Wish him well.
He felt like a longshot when we offered him...could've been one of those things where Frank gave him a chance and things just didn't work out.

Best wishes Shaw.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

We really do go through a lot of players
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Frank had 11 transfers at KSU. It's nothing new to him, although it doesn't seem that he agrees with most of them. He has said before that the high number of transfers across the NCAA is a grassroots problem. Simply put, the kids aren't taught to stick it out somewhere when the going gets tough, they simply find another place to play basketball.

It's not just a problem for Frank Martin, it's a SEC and nationwide problem for college basketball.

However, I think this case comes down to replacing Shaw with better talent, not so sure about the Ringer transfer.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Welp there goes our only perimeter shooter for next year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Frank had 11 transfers at KSU. It's nothing new to him, although it doesn't seem that he agrees with most of them. He has said before that the high number of transfers across the NCAA is a grassroots problem. Simply put, the kids aren't taught to stick it out somewhere when the going gets tough, they simply find another place to play basketball.

It's not just a problem for Frank Martin, it's a SEC and nationwide problem for college basketball.

However, I think this case comes down to replacing Shaw with better talent, not so sure about the Ringer transfer.
Sorry, but it would be laughable to find Frank blameless regarding transfers. Of last year's class, at least 4 of the incoming guys were questionable offers. Everyone with half a brain knew at least 1 to 2 of those would transfer, and at this point I think it's doubtful that the 2 who are still here last much longer than another year. That's Frank's method of recruiting. If Frank didn't want transfers, he wouldn't bring in classes full of questionable offers. No offense to some of these players, but if they stuck around it would make it nearly impossible to field a competitive team in the SEC, because we'd have a roster full of guys who couldn't compete.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #15
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Sorry, but it would be laughable to find Frank blameless regarding transfers. Of last year's class, at least 4 of the incoming guys were questionable offers. Everyone with half a brain knew at least 1 to 2 of those would transfer, and at this point I think it's doubtful that the 2 who are still here last much longer than another year. That's Frank's method of recruiting. If Frank didn't want transfers, he wouldn't bring in classes full of questionable offers. No offense to some of these players, but if they stuck around it would make it nearly impossible to field a competitive team in the SEC, because we'd have a roster full of guys who couldn't compete.
Who said Frank was blameless? Read the post again if you are confused. Frank is a tough guy to play for, throw that in with the fact that kids are transferring at an alarming rate all across college basketball and we are going to always have a lot of attrition while he's here. No way he could overhaul the roster like he did and not have 2 or 3 transfers a year until he's satisfied with the roster and he has a roster full of kids willing to do what he expects of them.

Kids are changing high schools looking for more PT, then they do the same thing at the AAU level. Why would you expect that to change at the college level?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #16
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Who said Frank was blameless? Read the post again if you are confused. Frank is a tough guy to play for, throw that in with the fact that kids are transferring at an alarming rate all across college basketball and we are going to always have a lot of attrition while he's here. No way he could overhaul the roster like he did and not have 2 or 3 transfers a year until he's satisfied with the roster and he has a roster full of kids willing to do what he expects of them.

Kids are changing high schools looking for more PT, then they do the same thing at the AAU level. Why would you expect that to change at the college level?
It was the implication that these players are at fault for not wanting to "tough it out." If a roster full of questionable offers decided to "tough it out," we'd be in even worse shape than we are now. Frank needs these guys to transfer, despite what he may tell the press & public. If Frank doesn't want guys transferring, he shouldn't make so many questionable offers.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

What bothers me with Frank is that he is missing on a lot of players. Peak, Buford, and Cunningham would've been immediate contributors for next years team.

These misses trickle down to where we have to take chances on marginal players in hopes of striking gold. You can't sustain or even build with that happening.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Ringer and Shaw would have had chances at minutes next year. They were True Freshman last year so it is not surprising they didn't have huge impacts last year. When players transfer out who were prob going to get minutes the following year, that is an issue.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #19
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
It was the implication that these players are at fault for not wanting to "tough it out." If a roster full of questionable offers decided to "tough it out," we'd be in even worse shape than we are now. Frank needs these guys to transfer, despite what he may tell the press & public. If Frank doesn't want guys transferring, he shouldn't make so many questionable offers.
The implication that some don't want to tough it out and some need to go to make room for better talent.

We have already seen a huge change in talent here under Martin.

I'm going to let the man continue to build it the way he sees fit. I like what he's doing and how he's going about it. Some of you guys seem to have forgotten how bad our program was a short two years ago. We are heading in the right direction, and I doubt very seriously if Shaw or Ringer was going to help take us to the next level.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #20
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Add me to the list of folks sad to see Shaw go. I really liked his game.