CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
gromweat
zcoop
Latti
Regalcock
Spurrier_Superior_On
gamecock88
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (1934)
All of our defensive (1790)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1614)
Uniform thread (1534)
Cack's Toast of the (1528)
Rankings (1438)
3-4 "D" Ke (1193)
Will Devin ever suit (976)
Update: Brison Willi (507)
2015 Commitment - Shameik
Kenny Hill arrested
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Defense making adjustment
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Best Store bought Spaghet
Update: Brison Williams i
Over reacting?
Not a talent issue
Gamecock football Long Te

Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
CurryStorm
Milk Duds

Male

CockyCash: 20200
CurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot material
Default IMAX

I really have no clue what makes a movie in IMAX different than your standard movie experience. Is it just a bigger screen? I've read some things where the screen is on the ceiling and you lay back in your seats...

Anyway, I guess I'm more interested in what kind of IMAX theaters are in Columbia, since I live in Sumter. If you've glanced at the Godzilla thread I started, I am eagerly anticipating that film. I keep reading in the IMDb forums where people are going to see it in IMAX 3D for the ultimate experience, so it really has me curious. However, since I'm not sure exactly what to expect, I'm worried that it's some weird way to watch the movie that's going to give me a headache or something and ruin the experience for me.

Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect should I watch the movie in IMAX? It should be noted that I have never watched a movie in 3D. Are all IMAX movies in 3D? Also, what would be the best IMAX theater in Columbia to go watch it at? I'd really appreciate any help and/or personal experiences.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material
Default Re: IMAX

IMAX is a very large curved screen that immerses you more into the experience. When you couple that with 3D it is from my perspective the best way to watch an action film. Some folks even get a little motion sick so be warned.

There is another large format out now as well. Just a larger screen & better sound that you can catch at Sandhills. I believe that there is an IMAX now at one theater in Irmo but not sure.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

A true imax film is on a screen that is probably triple the normal size screen..the sound is amazing..the onws at movie theaters are also imax but way toned down...its a marketing ploy..yes, its better than normal movies but still cant touch true imax screens.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Bigger, louder and costs more.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I saw Tomb Raider on IMAX...

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

From friends down in the low country, Charleston has the IMAX you want, Columbia doesn't have one, unless they got one recently. Charlotte also has one, but it wasn't that great.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

IMAX is huge, curved, better picture, and usually has much more intense sound. There are a lot of mini-imaxes popping up that are bigger than your usual screens and have many of the same features of an imax screen, but just aren't the same size. If you live down in the Lowcountry, then the Citadel Mall theater has the latter version of IMAX. Regal has been developing their own answer to IMAX in the form of RPX. Essentially it is their own kind of Mini-Imax (At least in most theaters that's the case), but since they don't use the IMAX name or logo, they don't have to pay the rights fees.

If the 3D images bother you (As they tend to do from time to time on a large format screen), then close your eyes during a non-spectacle scene and count to 5/10. Helps me out a lot.

Last edited by Bobby Boucher; 05-05-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Bobby Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

There are regular IMAX screens and a domed IMAX. If IMAX is offered for any movie I always opt for that.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Crazy expensive. Only worth it if you think an action movie is going to be really, really good. Or, if you don't care about the money.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
GamecockRebel
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1290
GamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockRebel has developed his gaff and talons

Sandhills has both the RPX and Imax screens. The others are right, it gets expensive if you go with a family.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114308514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
IMAX is huge, curved, better picture, and usually has much more intense sound. There are a lot of mini-imaxes popping up that are bigger than your usual screens and have many of the same features of an imax screen, but just aren't the same size. If you live down in the Lowcountry, then the Citadel Mall theater has the latter version of IMAX. Regal has been developing their own answer to IMAX in the form of RPX. Essentially it is their own kind of Mini-Imax (At least in most theaters that's the case), but since they don't use the IMAX name or logo, they don't have to pay the rights fees.

If the 3D images bother you (As they tend to do from time to time on a large format screen), then close your eyes during a non-spectacle scene and count to 5/10. Helps me out a lot.

This is accurate.

The original IMAX has 70 ft screens but IMAX doesn't hardly do this anymore as they are retro fitting exiting auditoriums. Most are all no bigger than around 55ft now.

Once a theatre has a auditorium certified as IMAX there will not be another one in that town.

Regal had IMAX help them develop the RPX and thus is popping them up around the country depending on attendance levels. It consists on the curved screen, upgraded sound (regal's sound is actually superior to IMAX but many complain it's too loud). Also high back leather seats have been put in for the past year and a half.

Cinemark and AMC have also branded their own thing as well.

Last edited by Regalcock; 05-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Regalcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
CurryStorm
Milk Duds

Male

CockyCash: 20200
CurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot materialCurryStorm is USC mascot material

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try and see if I can make it to Charleston and watch it there. Here's to hoping that it doesn't give me migraines or motion-sickness.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Bobby Boucher
Recruit

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryStorm View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try and see if I can make it to Charleston and watch it there. Here's to hoping that it doesn't give me migraines or motion-sickness.

Just so you know, the only true Imax screen down here is closed. There is an RPX one here (I can't comment it to its quality yet, but I'm going to try to see Godzilla there), but the mini IMAX that you probably saw for Citadel Mall is pretty good. The only negative is that since the screen is from the ground to the ceiling you have to deal with the handful of people who get up to pee during the movie.
Bobby Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

The ultimate is watching a 3D IMAX movie while sitting in one of these http://www.d-box.com/

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Isnt there one at the charleston aquarium? It plays like nature movies but they are cool since the screen is so huge?

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

There is one in Simpsonville as well
Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

There are very few movies I'd care to spend the money to watch in IMAX. But watching The Dark Knight in IMAX at Navy Pier in Chicago, then walking through downtown to get back to my train....that was pretty cool. The IMAX theater definitely immerses you more into the film. Walking around in Chicago after that I felt like I was still in the movie.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Personal opinion, but I've usually never gotten more out of a movie in the true IMAX format than I have from regular showings. Of course, I admit I'm really hard to please. The 3D movies leave a lot to be desired for me. Ever since I saw the old Terminator "ride" at Universal Studios nearly 15 years ago, all other 3D technologies have fallen short. That "ride" honestly made it seem like the little flying robots and what not were in the auditorium with you. I say all this to point out I may not be the best person to weigh in on it, because I have personally found IMAX and other large-screen theaters are simply a way to get more money without really adding anything to the experience.