CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Rebel4ever
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Carolina-Beez
roosterdude21
usc90grad
eatlighting
Team Garcia
BlakelyH19
cockybusiness2
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (17934)
Gameday in Columbia (1471)
ECU is a good team (1051)
ECU is a good team (974)
Alabama vs Florida. (913)
Why we'll dominate C (859)
Stadium improvement (823)
Lammons out (802)
Mizzou-Hoosiers (545)
UGA is running over (488)
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
ECU is a good team
Is it possible for our Sp
Why we'll dominate Clemso
Watch Online?
Christian Walker called u
Mizzou-Hoosiers
***Official 2015 Gamecock
Alabama vs Florida.
Gameday in Columbia

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit
Default Trip to Scotland

Nassau Gamecock, and I, along with the wives, are planning to go to Scotland in the late Summer or early Fall of 2015. Why? It's the ancestral home for us as it is for many of you, I'm sure.

What sites would any of you recommend that we see? The only definite place that we have on our itinerary now is the Isles of Mull and Ulva for ancestral reasons.

I've got a list of sites that I've gleaned from travel guides but it never hurts to have more input, especially if you've been there.

Thanks

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Trip to Scotland

go visit a distillery or three...

I am jealous
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I'm jealous too, that should be a great trip!
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit

Two distilleries are on the list - Laphroaig on Islay west of Glasgow and Glenfiddich near Dufftown up north between Inverness and Aberdeen. Glenfiddich looks more likely since we'll be going to Culloden which is right outside Inverness.

Of course, once we get in country there will not be a shortage of distilleries.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Have fun dude. Its on the bucket list.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R
CT's resident law student

Male

CockyCash: 500
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material

Edinburgh Castle (be sure to get there in time to see the cannon fire), Arthur's Seat, and the University of Glasgow are nice.

As a student at USC: Gamecocks record 40-25 (21-19)
GO COCKS!
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

gofff
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Apart from it being important to me for ancestral reasons, Culzean Castle is one of the most spectacular castles you'll find anywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culzean_Castle
Quote:
Culzean Castle (/kʌˈleɪn/ kul-layn, see yogh; Scots: Cullain) is a castle near Maybole, Carrick, on the Ayrshire coast of Scotland. It is the former home of the Marquess of Ailsa, the chief of Clan Kennedy, but is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland. The clifftop castle lies within the Culzean Castle Country Park and is opened to the public. Since 1987, an illustration of the castle has featured on the reverse side of five pound notes issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland.
Quote:
In 1945, the Kennedy family gave the castle and its grounds to the National Trust for Scotland (thus avoiding inheritance tax). In doing so, they stipulated that the apartment at the top of the castle be given to General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower in recognition of his role as Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during the Second World War. The General first visited Culzean Castle in 1946 and stayed there four times, including once while President of the United States. An Eisenhower exhibition occupies one of the rooms, with mementoes of his lifetime.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Stirling Castle. Stirling is a lovely town as well.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Totally jealous of Laphroaig....my favorite single malt hands down...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

I've been 3 times. The best site to plan a trip is Undiscovered Scotland. This site has a wealth of information on everything. Also, sites and attractions that are ignored by most guidebooks are mentioned.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

Here are a few must sees you can fit into a clockwise circuit of the country beginning and ending in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh Castle

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...tle/index.html

Stirling Castle

Ft. William

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...iam/index.html

Glenfinnan

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...nan/index.html

Loch Ness via The Great Glen Way

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...way/index.html

Glennfiddich Distillery and Balvenie Castle

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...ich/index.html

Glamis Castle

The Scottish Heritage Pass is a must have. This will get you into all of the attractions under the care of the government including Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index.htm

While many local hotels and B&Bs are available, I do not recommend traveling without reservations. You will save a lot of headaches if you have the route planned and know where you will be staying each night. A great hotel chain is Premier Travel Inn. They have many locations throughout the UK, and all have a restaurant/pub attached. The quality of the rooms is first rate, even though the price is reasonable. Book now, especially for locations like Ft William.

http://www.premierinn.com/

If you or any of your party are Harry Potter Fans, the train seen in the movie makes for a very pleasant, scenic, and relaxing day out. The train runs from Ft William to Malliag and back. Loch Shiel, which is the site of Hogwarts in the movies, as well as the Glenfinnan Viaduct are part of this trip.

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/j...e_Details.html

If you plan to bring back some scotch, I believe you can bring back 1 liter per person, certain scotch (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich) cost as much if not more in Scotland than it does here, while some scotch (Talisker) cost considerably less. You can buy it in the local Asda (Wal Mart owned) or at a Costco, as your US membership is valid over there. There are no Sams Clubs.

I have a lot more info available, so if you have any questions, please PM me, and I'll be glad to help you out or answer any questions I can.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html

Last edited by SwampFox; 04-27-2014 at 11:36 AM.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

Great info.. many thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

The 2 places I want to go before I die - Scotland and New Zealand.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Um, shouldn't Travelin comment on this thread? I think he lives in Scotland.

I am incredibly jealous. I would love to go to Scotland.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

want to pick me up a bottle of Laphroaig something someting that you cant get in the states?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #16
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Laphroaig is available stateside. I won a bottle of it in a raffle a few years ago. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or not, as that is the worst tasting scotch I've ever had. It taste like dirt. Give me a bottle of Talisker or Oban any day.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #17
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

In my research, I have not found any particular sites in Glasgow that peak my interest. Edinburgh seems to be the mostly historical / literary city while Glasgow seems to be the mostly commercial city.

Right now, I'd bypass Glasgow. What am I missing?

Old 04-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Nothing, Glasgow is a cesspit.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #19
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
Laphroaig is available stateside. I won a bottle of it in a raffle a few years ago. I don't know if I got a bad bottle or not, as that is the worst tasting scotch I've ever had. It taste like dirt. Give me a bottle of Talisker or Oban any day.
I was thinking for something not batched commercially. I have had the Laphroaig 10, QC, Triple Wood, 18 Year and 10 year CS...

I have an unopned bottle of Talisker Storm. Never had Oban.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
In my research, I have not found any particular sites in Glasgow that peak my interest. Edinburgh seems to be the mostly historical / literary city while Glasgow seems to be the mostly commercial city.

Right now, I'd bypass Glasgow. What am I missing?
Bypass Glasgow. Honestly, maybe a day trip, but that's it.

You said you were going up north around Inverness and Aberdeen. Try to spend a couple of days in or around Aviemore. It's in the Cairngorm National Park, UK's largest National Park and it's beautiful. Loads to do in Aviemore and lots of accomodation. There's even a Hilton there. If you guys are into nature, you'll love it. If not, you'll still have plenty to do.

Stirling is also a great place to see the castle and town. All can be done in a day. Then, head to Edinburgh. You'll drive over the Forth Road Bridge, 50 years old this year and they are now building a new bridge, so this one will be coming down in a few years. Pull into North or South Queensferry and park to walk across the bridge if the weather is descent that day. Fantastic views and the famous Forth Rail Bridge is right next to it. And your only 20 minutes away from Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is where you'll most likely want to spend most of your time. I'll post some things to do and see soon. Edinburgh Castle is a must, but only takes a couple of hours. Princess Street and Princess Street Gardens are just below the castle. Edinburgh Waverly Train station is also in the same area. One other thing I'll mention now to do in Edinburgh is to visit Mary King's Close. This is the best attraction in Scotland. They market it as a Ghost tour, but it's really an educational tour of the old city during the plague that is now under the existing city. It's awesome. You'll go in undisturbed rooms from 300-400(even older) years ago. Original artwork on the walls that were their form of wallpaper. Try to book in advance once you are set on the date(within 24 hours anyway...). It's on The Royal Mile, another street not to miss anyway and close to the castle. The museums are excellent in Edinburgh.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/ Bookmark this link.

I've lived just outside edinburgh for nearly 11 years now. I'm in East Lothian. Lots of golf courses, beaches and country walking trails.

Here's a pic from Linn O Dee in the Caingorm National Park I took a couple of weeks ago in the highlands.
Attached Images

Last edited by Travelin; 05-20-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote