CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
gamecockphan
Lonnie
taylorssc
robgusc76
CoverTwo
U-Dub Gamecock
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4127)
USC/clemson spread (1797)
In case no one saw.. (1454)
Bowl projections (1342)
Why has there been 4 (761)
Odell Becham Catch (759)
A little late to the (698)
Tiger Burn (538)
Texas A&M Defens (397)
No excuse for the D (373)
Carolina-Clemson Trophy
The Defense
Good Omen for Saturday?
Bowl projections
USC/clemson spread
weekend conference Predic
Texans getting frustrated
Drew Owens missing?
Shaq Roland
THE Vent and Coaching Cha

Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default Re: WB stadium expantion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Remember that back around 2000, whether we were at full capacity or not, the equation was different. Seat licensing was not an issue and tickets were cheaper. The economy had slipped a little bit because of the bursting of the tech bubble, but after 2008, American families really reevaluated their personal economy. When you couple that with higher costs to watch the game and the improved television viewing experience thanks to HD and more games being televised, it's no surprise that it's harder now to sell tickets.
I understand those truths being identified as reasons. Here in Tampa Bay that is exactly what is said in order to explain the lack of attendence for the Rays despite ongoing success on field.
That said as you noted these are national truths, the playing field is even so to speak. Every one of those who are expanding have those influences as well and some do not have the influence of current high on field success, ie. ARK, even Old Miss is limited. thus why I was surprized to read what I have.

I actually expected post something more along the lines of... "u in a hole or something down there in Tampa, we are in the midst of the greatest era of our program and it is exploding bla bla. expantion and reno are beginning... we r doing such and such...."
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
Truth. Whether or not the stadium was full, I was too young to remember. But all of the tickets were "sold out."

FYI Here is the rendering that came out a long time ago in regards to expansion. Would have been cool. IMO it would have happened if attendance hadn't started decreasing nation wide (for various reasons.)

Capacity was supposed to jump to 88,000. Here's the website concerning the expansion:
http://www.williamsbrice.com/phase.php
that was crazy neat. thanks much for including.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

I dont see anything wrong with having 90K seats. Our stadium would sell out no problem. Close in the corners some and lets hit the 90K mark. We should be ashamed if we think 90K seats are too many. Hell our SEC games would sell out 110K plus. We are a top tier program in the SEC and like the earlier poster said ARK, Ole Miss, Missouri, TAMU, LSU, are all expanding. We either get on the bus or get left behind.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

Missippi State is expanding their stadium but it is to add 9,000 seats to get to 61,000 capacity (that's far less than we currently have).

Missouri is expanding to 76,000 capacity (also less than we currently have)

Ole Miss is enclosing their North Endzone and adding more suites to the South and West stands. Obviously they can charge more for the suites and that project is in conjuction with also building a new basketball arena. Their current capacity is also only 60,000

USC has big projects already going on right now (practice facility, surrounding area outside of Williams-Brice, plus recently built tennis facilities, new track facilities, the beast board, etc.) It's not as though USC is standing still we are constantly upgrading just doing it to different areas that are higher priority.

LSU is adding and upperdeck to their North Endzone for the primary reason of adding Luxary Suites for increased revenue. It will likely increase their capacity to right above 100,000.

Texas A&M has ridiculous money and is basically building a whole new football stadium (we don't have that kind of $)

My question is, do you just want USC to expand if it is not feasible? We are still selling out the same stadium we sold out in the 0-21 era except it is more challenging now with HD tv's and we are selling those tickets at a much higher price. If demand stays strong and increases i'm sure they will look at eventually adding on more suites as that is the route to the most $ but for the time being we are focusing on catching some of our other facilities up so that we can compete with the big boys in recruiting.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

Arkansas is expanding by adding an upper level (for premium seating) which will increase capacity to 80,000 which is what we currently have, and some people are questioning if it makes sense as Arkansas has not sold out all of their games in their current capacity. Others are expanding to catch up to us as we already have 80,000 seats and LSU and A&M are bigger profile/ have more money and we are trying to catch them. Also, just because other schools are expanding does not mean it is wise or the best way they could be spending their money
Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #26
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

I would rather them redo the stands and underneath facility's of the south east and north lowers sections... That's is the oldest section of the stadium and IMO is in desperate need to renevation... If they did this I think they would enable to add seats by closing of the corners etc..

Last edited by kick_ball; 05-21-2014 at 03:14 PM.
kick_ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #27
boness
4-Star

Male

I and I didn't read anyone to say take action that isn't feasble. my post and those I read in favor of expansion were either folk who disagree with your accessment that it isn't feasable or may believe WBS is or should be a priority. Or, in my case, initially seeking info thinking, actually presuming our historic support combined recent success would indeed have drawn fan support sufficiently that it was feasable. the sort of responce I anticipated was something like "we are doing such and such to expand and renovate beginnning xx/xxxx and thisis what they are doing blabla. so being away and unaware am interested in the hows and whys.
along with maybe some answers (or estimates) to the initial ? which ws what is the POTENTIAL max capacity of WBS upon expansion. when, if it were. thats all.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #28
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Instead of expanding the stadium, I'd like to see some upgrades underneath the stadium, where the food vendors and restrooms are etc.
This,

Had an issue getting out of a stall in the south end zone, not to mention no AC.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #29
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

People aren't coming to game because the equation of watching at home/bar/tailgate with alcohol, good food, more comfortable seating, easier access > the game experience. To change that equation, more needs to be done to improve the experience, better bathrooms, seating, ease of parking, accessible foods, alcohol instead of just putting more seats in.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
I and I didn't read anyone to say take action that isn't feasble. my post and those I read in favor of expansion were either folk who disagree with your accessment that it isn't feasable or may believe WBS is or should be a priority. Or, in my case, initially seeking info thinking, actually presuming our historic support combined recent success would indeed have drawn fan support sufficiently that it was feasable. the sort of responce I anticipated was something like "we are doing such and such to expand and renovate beginnning xx/xxxx and thisis what they are doing blabla. so being away and unaware am interested in the hows and whys.
along with maybe some answers (or estimates) to the initial ? which ws what is the POTENTIAL max capacity of WBS upon expansion. when, if it were. thats all.
My larger point is that most of those expansions are by teams that have far less seats than we do and are expanding and still going to have less than us (save for LSU and TA&M). There aren't many teams right now that have expansion plans that have over 80,000 capacity currently before expansion. Texas A&M has much more money than USC and LSU has won multiple National Championships plus LSU is the only game in town in Louisiana (no other major university to compete with for attendance) it's fairly easy to explain why we are not expanding. The demand is high for college football in general, but we have a stadium right now that fits our market and is priced accordingly.

Demand has certainly gone up since those 0-21 days but as we added new fans we also priced some current ones out with the seat license fees and higher ticket prices (which were necessary)
Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
There was a plan, a long time ago, to add an upper deck to the north end zone.
I think they put a large smart phone over the North end zone instead.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #32
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

This is one of those threads that pops up every year i feel

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #33
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
I seriously doubt we will be expanding seating-wise anytime soon. We, along with most teams in the country, are having trouble selling out our stadium at current capacity due to other ways of watching the game, the economy, etc. I would think they would focus on improving the game day experience before increasing capacity.

Williams-Brice official seating capacity: 80,250

2013:

2013 South Carolina Football
South Carolina Combined Team Statistics (as of Jan 01, 2014)
All games
Date Opponent Score Att.
Aug 29, 2013 NORTH CAROLINA W 27-10 81572
* Sep 07, 2013 at Georgia L 30-41 92746
* Sep 14, 2013 VANDERBILT W 35-25 81371
Sep 28, 2013 at UCF W 28-25 47605
* Oct 05, 2013 KENTUCKY W 35-28 82313
* Oct 12, 2013 at Arkansas W 52-7 66302
* Oct 19, 2013 at Tennessee L 21-23 95736
* Oct 26, 2013 at #5 Missouri W 27-24 67124
* Nov 02, 2013 MISSISSIPPI STATE W 34-16 82111
* Nov 16, 2013 FLORIDA W 19-14 83853
Nov 23, 2013 COASTAL CAROLINA W 70-10 81411
Nov 30, 2013 CLEMSON W 31-17 84174
Jan. 1, 2014 vs #19 Wisconsin Badgers W 34-24 56629

USC sold out W-B for every home game last season, including for Coastal Carolina. Regardless of whether or not those who bought tickets actually came to the game, or stayed to their conclusions.

2012:

2012 South Carolina Football
South Carolina Combined Team Statistics (as of Jan 15, 2013)
All games
Date Opponent Score Att.
* Aug 30, 2012 at Vanderbilt W 17-13 38393
Sep 08, 2012 EAST CAROLINA W 48-10 77006
Sep 15, 2012 UAB W 49-6 77963
* Sep 22, 2012 MISSOURI W 31-10 80836
* Sep 29, 2012 at Kentucky W 38-17 49810
* Oct 06, 2012 GEORGIA W 35-7 85199
* Oct 13, 2012 at #9 LSU L 21-23 92734
* Oct 20, 2012 at #3 Florida L 11-44 90883
* Oct 27, 2012 TENNESSEE W 38-35 80250
* Nov 10, 2012 ARKANSAS W 38-20 78772
Nov 17, 2012 WOFFORD W 24-7 79982
Nov 24, 2012 at #9 Clemson W 27-17 84513
Jan 01, 2013 vs #18 Michigan W 33-28 54527

In 2012 we officially sold out 3 home games at W-B, including the all-time record-setter versus UGA. Just missed on games for ECU, UAB, Arkansas, and Wofford. I wonder if the career-ending injury to Lattimore played a role in those final 2 home games falling short, as USC sold out 3 consecutive gms up to and including the UT gm he got injured in. Typically the SEC home games are the best chances for selling out - I can see ECU and UAB not, as those opponents wouldn't be seen as premium opponents...

I guess it's a discussion between # of actual tickets sold, versus # of fannies that end up in the seats during games. What drives planning for stadium capacity expansion? Fannies don't pay the bills for expansion, the $$ that allowed access for those fannies does.

An improved game-day experience will help in putting more fannies into the seats, but the question remains: if USC continues to sell out home games into the near future, how many MORE fans are there out there that would possibly buy tickets to games that are missing out unless W-B is expanded (regardless if those fans will actually come to the games and use those tickets or not), and is that lost ticket revenue enough to justify the expansion costs?
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #34
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
... and is that lost ticket revenue enough to justify the expansion costs?
That's the big question. If USC expanded the stadium, I'm sure they could get more people to buy tickets, but would it be enough to justify the millions of $'s it would take to expand? I contend that, at the current time, it would be better to upgrade the existing stadium and surrounding area than to expand seating. Do things like upgrade concessions and bathrooms, upgrade the surrounding parking lots/tailgating areas, etc. Then, if we are still consistently selling out games, look at expanding the seating areas.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #35
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
The highest number I have seen from the university is 88k-90k with the addition of the North Upper. For some reason when they built the upper decks in the 1970's, they engineered them differently so it would not be possible to "Bowl" the stadium which decreases the maximum you could get to.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I am no genius here, but I think the OP was attempting to ask how much can we actually expand Williams-Brice. In other words, what is our maximum capacity for expansion. How many more seats can we actually put in the stadium without some kind of extreme cosmetic change.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #37
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
I seriously doubt we will be expanding seating-wise anytime soon. We, along with most teams in the country, are having trouble selling out our stadium at current capacity due to other ways of watching the game, the economy, etc. I would think they would focus on improving the game day experience before increasing capacity.
I thought I read we sold out every home game this season.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #38
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYWOOD View Post
I don't see any stadiums expanding. Maybe adding more luxury seating to replace other seating.
LSU is in the process of expanding theirs

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #39
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I thought I read we sold out every home game this season.
We did. There were games where the stadium wasn't packed, though. That was more of what I was talking about. Actually getting people in to the stadium.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Like many of you, I would rather see improvements to the stadium, such as larger bathrooms and concessions and better aesthetics around the outside of the stadium, although the second part has been approved and will look absolutely spectacular once it's completed.

Truthfully, I see no need to expand. 80,250+ works just fine, as evidenced by 18 straight home wins.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote