CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
ACPhilson
PageUSC
The Yancey
KaneisAble
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
SCohioBoy
HBC Weekly Presser (2106)
Thompson Has Neck In (1508)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1065)
4th & 1 Play (934)
Kentucky prediction (637)
Just Booked my Hotel (546)
So What? (478)
Bad Week For Upstate (354)
Jeopardy: USC and th (275)
Travis Bell's Photos (222)
Just Booked my Hotel for
Best position coach or co
What fish do you eat
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Kentucky prediction
State talent drying up
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Really excited to visit t
QB Recruiting Strategy
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201

Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
boness
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in
Default undrafted player options if not offered CFA?

Is there any mechanism that can get someone a look, a chance if they did not get an CFA invite. If so it is???
boness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material
Default Re: undrafted player options if not offered CFA?

Canada or Arena. There have been some that route worked for. Kurt Warner comes to mind.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Canada or Arena. There have been some that route worked for. Kurt Warner comes to mind.
those you mention r good. I ws hoping for such as the Eagles had in the 70s.. basically a try out though it would be by invite now as opposed to open as it was then. maybe a personal workout so long as the player footed his own expenses to do so. things along that line. mostly just hoping our youngsters who did not get drafted nor offered CFA contracts might have additional immediate options as well as playing the season in smaller leagues. :(
Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

I guess you are talking about Victor Hampton specifically. He was at the combine he's had pro days he's done individual workouts, I don't think another individual workout would help.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Yep. Vic's going to likely have to wait until some injuries in mini-camps.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
WeCocky
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 508
WeCocky has hatched from the shell

Why would he leave school if he didnt think for sure he'd get drafted??
WeCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
KEmmrich
Walk On

Male

KEmmrich has hatched from the shell

It seems like Vic should have been drafted late or got a free agent look from somebody! I think that personal stuff right before the draft hurt him worse than his size and his underwhelming combine numbers. It sure would have nice to have had him back for one more year here. I hope he stays motivated and his agent continues to believe in him so he a can train and improve his numbers (if he can).
KEmmrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
I guess you are talking about Victor Hampton specifically. He was at the combine he's had pro days he's done individual workouts, I don't think another individual workout would help.
i was primarily but also to the seniors who might pursui a chance to play NFL.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps, but I never heard that Vic was one of them...so I have to assume he was not. unfortunately, the off the field stuff appears to have really hurt him. He probably should look to Canada or the AFL now.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

They got that free education! They should just use that.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #11
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps, but I never heard that Vic was one of them...so I have to assume he was not. unfortunately, the off the field stuff appears to have really hurt him. He probably should look to Canada or the AFL now.
There are also tryouts held regionally by the NFL from time to time that players participate.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Some guys got invited for tryouts for rookie mincamps....
Pretty sure every team has some of this...not sure on how they get invited...but usually there's a few that get invited back for summer camp and occasionally make the roster.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cock13 View Post
They got that free education! They should just use that.
If they left early, they don't. Unless you are a top 2 rounds pick, why on earth would you give up a free education?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Pretty sure every team has some of this...not sure on how they get invited...but usually there's a few that get invited back for summer camp and occasionally make the roster.
yes.....after the draft, all teams sign undrafted free agent contracts with various players....they also ask 10-20 more to come in.....called rookie tryouts. I am shocked Hampton wasn't even asked to come to a camp for a rookie tryout.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #15
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
yes.....after the draft, all teams sign undrafted free agent contracts with various players....they also ask 10-20 more to come in.....called rookie tryouts. I am shocked Hampton wasn't even asked to come to a camp for a rookie tryout.
Forget that, the fact he wasn't even drafted is a travesty. Something odd is going on.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
There are also tryouts held regionally by the NFL from time to time that players participate.
That good to hear. I ws hoping that sort of thing might exist.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #17
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEmmrich View Post
It seems like Vic should have been drafted late or got a free agent look from somebody! I think that personal stuff right before the draft hurt him worse than his size and his underwhelming combine numbers. It sure would have nice to have had him back for one more year here. I hope he stays motivated and his agent continues to believe in him so he a can train and improve his numbers (if he can).
Apologies for my ignorance. I am aware hampton had numerios issues prior to coming to SC. I read several pieces the last couple yrs he was doing well at SC.
Are you refering to the issues in HS or did he have things at Sc recently come to light or ?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
boness
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
If they left early, they don't. Unless you are a top 2 rounds pick, why on earth would you give up a free education?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
agreed unless projected first or at worst second round the smart move would be to stay for so many reasons. Working hard likely would raise the players value for one but many will point out some one drafted in say the 3rd round still makes a great deal of $ for as long as he makes the team however we often see a player have an expectation that does not come to fruition. a player like manzei drops he still goes high but seems the deeper in the draft the projection the more likely it is wrong and the player projected later has less room to land after dropping.
as himmania and u noted all should take advantage. we take lots more note of those that do not but there are examples everywhere of those who do with the early graduations creating the oportunity to transfer etc.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #19
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
Apologies for my ignorance. I am aware hampton had numerios issues prior to coming to SC. I read several pieces the last couple yrs he was doing well at SC.
Are you refering to the issues in HS or did he have things at Sc recently come to light or ?
The incident at the New York city nightclub and the arrest following an argument with his sister after he declared were yet more red flags that followed his high school and college problems. If one person has problems every step of the way.....it's more than being in the "wrong place" or "it wasn't his fault" thing. It is a pattern that can't be ignored or explained away. Great player....but too much of a risk.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #20
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
The incident at the New York city nightclub and the arrest following an argument with his sister after he declared were yet more red flags that followed his high school and college problems. If one person has problems every step of the way.....it's more than being in the "wrong place" or "it wasn't his fault" thing. It is a pattern that can't be ignored or explained away. Great player....but too much of a risk.
Agree....back to back recent issues from a guy who was not highly rated.
The cussing with his sister may be the worst of the two...public perception.
There are dozens of CBs available without the baggage....this includes guys on practice rosters, guys who got cut last year but may be more ready this year, etc.

Hope Hampton, Jr can get it together and find a job.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote