CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Gamecocks1137
mpilot0705
Bed Sores
Aggie96
Spurticus
TheUniversityofSC
johnnyb
ReadR00ster
spareparts
The Field (2014)
Finbaum Jogs on USC (1882)
I hope Coach Spurrie (1513)
Spurrier winning at (1233)
Anyone watching pti (1116)
One of the great thi (1104)
GAME (1035)
Defensive Backfield (962)
SDS/Garcia: Entertai (834)
Death in the family (773)
GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS ?
Spurticus has some explai
**USC vs. Texas A&M G
I hope Coach Spurrier get
SDS/Garcia: Entertaining
Trying to Watch on Fios
Anyone else having troubl
As things currently stand
"We Believe" st
"Air Ball!!"

Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material
Default Official World Cup 2014 Thread

USMNT's 23=man roster announced today...the only BIG surprise?

No Landon Donovan.

Wow, Klinsmann is out to make a statement.

2014 FIFA WORLD CUP –

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

I'm a little concerned but IN JURGEN I TRUST!

Notable missing names:
Terrence Boyd and Landon Donovan, Joe Corona and Maurice Edu, Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst.

Goodson and Donovan surprised me. But Klinsman has chosen 10 players from MLS teams

Has MLS caught up to the rest of the world? Maybe not, but the quality of football is much, much better than a few years ago!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
FilchCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
FilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPitFilchCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Official World Cup 2016 Thread

Initially it appears to me that we are selling out to get Julian Green, and I don't like the sacrifice we just made.
FilchCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

We wont even make it out of the group round. These moves make no difference.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Wow, I am SHOCKED to see this announced so early - especially with Donovan missing. I read soccer news every single day and follow it more than I do college football.

Edu is a mild surprise as well as Brad Evans. The rest of the squad I'm OK with.

I guess it's good that the roster is finalized and they can start working with the 23 guys to finalize formations and tactics while building chemistry. I am still shocked that this decision was made so early in camp rather than waiting on a date closer to the June 2 deadline.

I actually like the decision to take both Wondo and Aron Johannsson.

P.S. While he was always guaranteed a spot and is a VERY good goalkeeper (who would be starting if it weren't for one of the best in the world, Tim Howard), a shout out to Brad Guzan - a GAMECOCK!!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilchCock View Post
Initially it appears to me that we are selling out to get Julian Green, and I don't like the sacrifice we just made.
Disagree. Donovan was only going to make it as a forward. Those were the guidelines laid out at the beginning of camp. He wasn't going as a midfielder. Are out striking options better without Donovan? Hard to say. However, benefit of doubt to Klinsmann and the coaches on this decision based on what they see in camp.

Team is still solid without LD and with Bradley, Howard, and Dempsey, leadership situation will be fine. Would I have liked LD to go? Sure but was he going to play? If not, what is his purpose and is the team better off with another play at a forward position. Coaches think yes.

I don't think this decision had anything to do with Green at all.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Leaving off Landon hurts. Need a vet like him with experience and leadership.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Not only this, but we will also miss his speed. It will be interesting to see who will now take the corner kick's and set pieces. I'm hoping this isn't payback by Klinsmann.

However, win anyway. Go USA!
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Not having his experience may hurt. Not sure I agree about his leadership. See my post above. I think we have enough leadership.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
Not only this, but we will also miss his speed. It will be interesting to see who will now take the corner kick's and set pieces. I'm hoping this isn't payback by Klinsman.

However, win anyway. Go USA!
Corner kicks. My guess is Dempsey or Bradley. I would favor Bradley. All depends who is starting. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zusi as well. LD was our man for corners but remember there was a 2 year period he wasn't even on the national team so there are plenty of guys with experience.

Set pieces aren't an issue either. Landon has experience but again Bradley, Dempsey, and even Beckerman are solid choices for free kicks.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
This
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I'm excited to see so many young STUD talents.

The coaching philos MAY be sacrifice the older guys to prepare for the future, but it's not personal. Donovan ISN'T what he was 5 years ago.

I dont think we sold anyone for green. Green is a Midfielder. Klins told Donovan he was more of a forward, I agree with Klins...Donovans pace and touch are IDEAL for a ST. But on the ball he isn't great.

I'm hoping to see Dempsey continue his Sounders form, he's looked spectacular and has played SMART. Not the ball hog Dumpster fire I've hated for 7 years. He's looking like a real leader.

I'm excited, I hate it for Landon...but he knows the score, IMHO.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Someone please tell me what criteria enabled Altidore to make the team. In 31 games at Sunderland, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. He had a total of 5 shot, THIS SEASON. What has he ever done?

Who is going to score on this team? Dempsey?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 154
weatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talonsweatheredxtown has developed his gaff and talons

Why is it 2016? Thought it was this year.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #14
myrtsmom
Recruit

Female

myrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
Someone please tell me what criteria enabled Altidore to make the team. In 31 games at Sunderland, he had 1 goal and 1 assist. He had a total of 5 shot, THIS SEASON. What has he ever done?

Who is going to score on this team? Dempsey?
Don't really think you can question Altidore's place on the team based upon his stats at Sunderland. That team was an absolute dumpster fire from top to bottom this year. He has proven to be an effective goal scorer for the US Team, as well as AZ, the Dutch team he played for before going to Sunderland.
myrtsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
myrtsmom
Recruit

Female

myrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his clawsmyrtsmom is sharpening his claws

Couple of thoughts on the roster:

1. I'm glad that they went ahead and trimmed the roster. In fact, I was hoping we might do what some of the other teams like France did, and come straight out with the 24-man roster. The guys can now totally focus on training and preparing as a team to the best of their ability without having to keep looking over their shoulders and worrying about whether they are going to make the team or not.

2. I'm fine with Klinnsman going with a younger line-up. In all honesty, it's very unlikely that we will make it out of our group, so why not use this as a learning experience for the younger guys in preparation for Russia in 2018. Italy as used this approach in the past, and we all know how successful they've been in the World Cup. The England fans are practically begging Roy Hdgson to use this approach, as they find themselves in a situation similar to us where their chances of advancing out of their group are slim to none.
myrtsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #16
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
I'm excited to see so many young STUD talents.

The coaching philos MAY be sacrifice the older guys to prepare for the future, but it's not personal. Donovan ISN'T what he was 5 years ago.

I dont think we sold anyone for green. Green is a Midfielder. Klins told Donovan he was more of a forward, I agree with Klins...Donovans pace and touch are IDEAL for a ST. But on the ball he isn't great.

I'm hoping to see Dempsey continue his Sounders form, he's looked spectacular and has played SMART. Not the ball hog Dumpster fire I've hated for 7 years. He's looking like a real leader.

I'm excited, I hate it for Landon...but he knows the score, IMHO.
We don't have young players that I would consider STUDS just yet. Some quality players like Dempsey, Bradley, and Howard but none I would consider studs.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #17
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
USMNT's 23=man roster announced today...the only BIG surprise?

No Landon Donovan.

Wow, Klinsmann is out to make a statement.

2014 FIFA WORLD CUP –

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

I'm a little concerned but IN JURGEN I TRUST!

Notable missing names:
Terrence Boyd and Landon Donovan, Joe Corona and Maurice Edu, Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst.

Goodson and Donovan surprised me. But Klinsman has chosen 10 players from MLS teams

Has MLS caught up to the rest of the world? Maybe not, but the quality of SOCCER is much, much better than a few years ago!
Fixed it for you. I always get into the world cup simply because the US, and I always end up dissapointed on the mens side. Is that gonna change this year?
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
tkousc
4-Star

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

Is Donovan a top 5 player currently that is American? Maybe. Is he a top 23 player? 110% This is idiotic. This is starting to feel more and more like 2 and barbecue all the time.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Thread title needs update it's 2014 World Cup team/thread. I think this is a bold move by the coaching staff to not include Landon however if any of you have ever played soccer you know how demanding it is and he had a good career on the national team. I would like to say thanks to you Mr. Donovan but it is time we move on.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:31 AM   #20
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
You never know
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote