CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
4Runner
kingofnerf
robgusc76
gamecockgal
Storm Of Spurs
Spurticus
ReadR00ster
CBS: SOS to Florida? (3343)
Juco QBs? (1248)
SDS grades the Furma (945)
we can STILL win the (941)
Auburn/USC point spr (858)
How do you want Aubu (754)
Whenever I Get Depre (676)
If the Head Ball Coa (593)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (354)
When did it change ? (265)
Auburn/USC point spread
Cann tipping plays?
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Shamiek Sheppard (2014 Pr
If the Head Ball Coach re
Juco QBs?
Williams and Mitch
How do you want Auburn to
we can STILL win the east
Just started playing &quo

Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 AM   #21
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: I am afraid of heights.

Similar to what Yancey said, you can get past it. You could do it yourself by gradually getting used to heights (start out with a low "high point" and work your way up), but the more effective route would be through a therapist of some sort. There are different methods of dissipating the phobia, some more drastic than others. So the bottom line is that you can get past it, and a lot of that has to do with your will power to do so.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #22
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Similar to what Yancey said, you can get past it. You could do it yourself by gradually getting used to heights (start out with a low "high point" and work your way up), but the more effective route would be through a therapist of some sort. There are different methods of dissipating the phobia, some more drastic than others. So the bottom line is that you can get past it, and a lot of that has to do with your will power to do so.
I have seen one in my time who prescribed me a nerve pill. I don't want to take that my entire life though, I wan't to get over the fear, and not dull my senses on it. I want to buy a ticket to go up in the Virgin Galactic spacecraft, but how would I handle it? I have no idea. It is a dream of mine to go there, but my fears keep me from living a full life.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #23
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

CockyCash: 500
Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Cognitive behavioral therapy. You seem to understand that the fear is irrational, so it is just a matter of integrating a more rational assessment of the risk with your behavioral response. I don't mean to make it sound simple and easy, but this is just the sort of thing CBT treats pretty successfully. Even if you don't want to fool with a professional, you can design a plan of gradual exposure along with exercises to promote more credible patterns of thought pertaining the associated risks. Bring along someone you trust, which should help mitigate the anxiety. Just keep reminding yourself what you already know: there is nothing to be afraid of. You probably do many riskier things on a daily basis (without fear).

You'll be hang-gliding with Yancey in no time.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:46 AM   #24
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

Go sky diving
Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 AM   #25
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

It may seem nuts to suggest this, but follow me here.

Try baby-stepping your way into bigger heights by doing activities while you have your own form of therapy. Research a few trails, and hike to different spots. Maybe a short waterfall the first time, a slightly taller lookout the second time, and onto progressively taller and slightly challenging hikes as you move on. Once you feel comfortable handling that, move on to other things. Maybe a ropes course, ziplining, a ferris wheel, and even bungee jumping. Whatever you think would be a good challenge to overcome.

Main thing while you do this, if you do, is to document your progress. Go with a loved one, significant other, or any close friends you trust. They'll motivate you and you know that you can trust them. They can also serve as photographers so you have something to look back on and say "Hey, check out how tall/high that is. I did that, and it was awesome".

It might take you a while to graduate from hiking to bungee jumping, but do it at your own pace. If you complete all that, reward yourself with a vacation somewhere and fly out.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #26
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Cognitive behavioral therapy. You seem to understand that the fear is irrational, so it is just a matter of integrating a more rational assessment of the risk with your behavioral response. I don't mean to make it sound simple and easy, but this is just the sort of thing CBT treats pretty successfully. Even if you don't want to fool with a professional, you can design a plan of gradual exposure along with exercises to promote more credible patterns of thought pertaining the associated risks. Bring along someone you trust, which should help mitigate the anxiety. Just keep reminding yourself what you already know: there is nothing to be afraid of. You probably do many riskier things on a daily basis (without fear).

You'll be hang-gliding with Yancey in no time.
Exactly.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #27
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post

Try baby-stepping your way into bigger heights by doing activities while you have your own form of therapy. Research a few trails, and hike to different spots. Maybe a short waterfall the first time, a slightly taller lookout the second time, and onto progressively taller and slightly challenging hikes as you move on. Once you feel comfortable handling that, move on to other things. Maybe a ropes course, ziplining, a ferris wheel, and even bungee jumping. Whatever you think would be a good challenge to overcome.

Main thing while you do this, if you do, is to document your progress. Go with a loved one, significant other, or any close friends you trust. They'll motivate you and you know that you can trust them. They can also serve as photographers so you have something to look back on and say "Hey, check out how tall/high that is. I did that, and it was awesome".

It might take you a while to graduate from hiking to bungee jumping, but do it at your own pace. If you complete all that, reward yourself with a vacation somewhere and fly out.
Thank you for that advice, I will take it to heart. There are a few waterfalls in the mountains of Tennessee that I have been afraid to go up, I will make that my next step. Thank you, this will really help.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #28
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoskins View Post
I'm afraid of bridges. Over the weekend I was driving with my father and my niece home from Kentucky and had to drive over a temporary bridge that was about 300 feet off the river and I almost had to stop the car. The bridge was down to one lane in both directions and was very bouncy and bumpy. I had cold sweats and was on the verge of a panic attack by the time the bridge was over.
I actually think I have been over that same bridge, just a month or so ago. Was it under construction? And they had the walls up on both sides. Better yet was in 277 N or S?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 AM   #29
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchief View Post

Love the hiking suggestion, as well as the photo journal.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #30
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I actually think I have been over that same bridge, just a month or so ago. Was it under construction? And they had the walls up on both sides. Better yet was in 277 N or S?
Yes to the walls. 277 doesn't sound super familiar but it's just before Knoxville. It might be 277. I think the road connects 75 and 40?

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #31
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 88700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

I used to hate going over the dam at lake murray back in the day. It's not as bad since they did the renovation work. But it used to scare the crap out of me.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Think we're all scared of heights to a degree. I don't get scared going over bridges but if you put me at the edge of a 5000 ft cliff I'm gonna freak out.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #33
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
What I really want to know is how to conquer this fear. If there is anyone here who has conquered it I would love to know how. A quick search of the internet just says I am in the 3-5% of the world with this crazy fear, but before I pass on, I would like to conquer this.
You could go get a shot of "man the **** up."

All kidding aside, there are probably therapies you can do that will help redirect your mind/thoughts to a better place which in turn can help you conquer your fear.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #34
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I am afraid of heights as well. Started as a 5yo climbing the lookout tower at Cesar's Head. At age 40 I decided to beat it , so I took flying lesson. It helped. I got my pilots license. Still have some fear of heights, but not like it used to be.
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #35
USC65
Walk On

Male

USC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his clawsUSC65 is sharpening his claws

It's OK to be afraid. Just take some deep breaths. That's what a Naval Academy Midshipman on the jump team told told me years ago when after too many beers I said I'd always wanted to jump out of a plane. Of course he also said it'll all be over in 5 minutes........or 30 seconds. Luckily it was the former. But seriously, taking deep breaths when close to a panic does tend to calm you down. Good luck.
USC65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #36
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
A lot of cognitive therapies treat that sort of thing. RET, NLP, and the like. Most of our fears are based on a good intention at the time. They may be outmoded today but we always need to replace any fear or symptom with an equal or better coping mechanism.
Exactly, the Yancey is spot on... as is the norm.
I am , too. I met with a therapist years ago and she helped me immensely. Go seek help and in a month or 2 it'll be over- you'll be glad you did. I still have certain issues but can deal with them. I could tell you my war stores about heights - but you know the drill
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #37
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I suffered from most of the same at one point and still struggle with certain situations.

For example, I hate to be near a railing on a 2-story or above building...mall, hotel, patio, etc. However, the feeling I get only occurs in public places and around other people. By myself, I can slowly approach the ledge and take the view in.

Like you, roller coasters have never bothered me...except for that first ride directly up and the big drop to get it started. I always feel like it's going to come off track.

I have pretty much been able to nail it down that I don't trust other people when it comes to heights. I feel like something bad is going to happen whether from the craftmanship of another person is at fault OR that some crazy person is going to grab and push me over a rail to take me with him in a silly suicide plot for attention.

So, I have been able to squash all of my heights fears except being near high railings. Planes no longer bother me, because I read a lot of statistics and know the likelihood of an accident is preceded by MANY other common forms of travel or daily activities. I just told myself to stop being a pussy about it and forced myself to enjoy the flight, look out the windows, etc. Now I kind of enjoy the rush of taking off and that "ahhh" feeling of the wheels touching down.

But railings in high areas...nah, won't get close to them. I can enjoy the view where I am at just fine. Like this photo below, it scares the shit out of me:

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #38
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
I get the joke, but it is about as serious as it gets for me, and everyone else who suffers from this horrible thing. I won't even sit in the upper decks of Williams Brice anymore because of it. Like another poster said before, it just gets worse.
I respect the fact that you have these fears and. I know different people have different phobias. I wish i could get over my fear of snakes.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #39
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
It's just mind over matter in some cases depending how severe it is. I did a ropes course when I was younger and loved roller coasters at one point too. I think the fear adds to the thrill/enjoyment if you can get past it. I simply just do not have any desire to do anything that involves extreme heights for "fun" anymore. I would love to go skydiving before I die...but I just do not know if I could hurl my body from a moving plane.
It really is a lot of fun.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #40
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have Acrophobia and have had it since I was a child. I am now 41, and I am still afraid of them. I will not fly on planes, although I can take a roller coaster every now and then. (I attribute some of the fear of planes now to 9/11.) When I was younger I worked framing houses and such, but I never made it long term because I could not go up that high without getting sweaty, weak in the knees, and eventually dizzy. I wanted to know if anyone else here has the same condition, and if they have found a way to cope/deal with it, or overcome it all together.

I used to be afraid of heights too. Deathly afraid. Then one weekend, in the Marines, I was forced to repel down a 500 foot cliff on Guam. Needless to say, I hated it, but, it taught me something valuable I have taken with me for years since. I'm 45 now, and am not afraid of heights, so to speak. I mean, I don't let it bother me anymore. That's not to say I go do things purposefully, like skydiving or bungee jumping, but I am not so worried about heights anymore. What I learned from that is, face your fears and conquer them, or they can and usually do, conquer you. My case was somewhat extreme, but it worked.