CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetBlack&Blue
GSC2013
Dizzy01
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
Kyle76
The Yancey
18IsTheMan
JNGolf
cockthehammer
Mike Davis "dou (2082)
The Demise of the 3- (1405)
Gamecocks D staff re (1364)
Pirate Depth Chart (1002)
Past SEC Champions w (970)
who thinks we need a (960)
Reginald Bowens (692)
East Carolina Predic (690)
Why didn't Wes Green (658)
You guys are horribl (295)
Carolina opens -15.5
The Demise of the 3-4
Why didn't Wes Green play
What would be your defini
East Carolina Prediction
Gamecock football Long Te
Did we ever go after Kenn
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks claimed and re-
Tanner McEvoy should've s

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material
Default The GRE and Grad School

How difficult is the gre? Can I take it more than once?

About grad school, I'm thinking usc since I have a good job here. Idk if I should go for Spanish or Journalism though, how good is it to get a masters in journalism?

Kaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: The GRE and Grad School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
How difficult is the gre? Can I take it more than once?

About grad school, I'm thinking usc since I have a good job here. Idk if I should go for Spanish or Journalism though, how good is it to get a masters in journalism?
The GRE isn't very difficult, but you may take it multiple times if you wish.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Would it look bad if I take it more than once?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
You're better off doing a bunch of practice tests and then taking the real thing just once.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
No, because you should only submit your highest to the school(s) to which you are applying. You would have no reason to tell them you took it more than once, but lots of people take it more than once, so it's not a big deal if you do as well.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
You're better off doing a bunch of practice tests and then taking the real thing just once.
I agree with this, but some of my friends told me the practice tests didn't really prepare them for the real thing. Since I didn't take any practice tests, I don't know personally. I only took the GRE once, and my score was plenty high enough to qualify me for all the schools I was considering.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
MOB49
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
MOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudly

All GRE scores are submitted to Grad Schools, and they take the highest score for verbal, math, and writing. A common practice it to take the GRE's twice. The first to focus on math. The second to focus on verbal.

Make sure the field that you plan on majoring in has a great job market. There is no point of going to Grad school and increasing your debt when companies are not hiring in your field.
MOB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

What is your reason for going for a grad degree? Considering the enormous cost, you should definitely think about the return you'll get for your investment. You said don't even know which grad degree you'd go get, so do you have a reason for enrolling? (That's not meant to be criticism or to deter you - but you're considering spending tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars for this, so it's something you need to consider)
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB49 View Post
All GRE scores are submitted to Grad Schools, and they take the highest score for verbal, math, and writing. A common practice it to take the GRE's twice. The first to focus on math. The second to focus on verbal.

Make sure the field that you plan on majoring in has a great job market. There is no point of going to Grad school and increasing your debt when companies are not hiring in your field.
Yep my wife is sitting on $60k on a field she used for a year or two. Make sure you have a plan
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4466416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB49 View Post

Yep my wife is sitting on $60k on a field she used for a year or two. She decided it wasnt for her. Make sure you have a plan
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #11
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

I have to take the GMAT pretty soon
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacock View Post
I have to take the GMAT pretty soon
From my little research, it says that journalists with a master are most likely to take the higher position jobs.

About how much is grad school at usc?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Quote:
From my little research, it says that journalists with a master are most likely to take the higher position jobs.

About how much is grad school at usc?
No offense, but I don't think you're a good candidate for grad school. You need to know what you want to study, why you want to study it, the market for the degree you're going to get, and a decent understanding of the return on investment for the degree itself.

A master's degree in journalism is only good if you want to become a journalism professor, and even then you need a lot of experience as an actual reporter. The J-school at USC is no joke; your professors know what they're talking about, and have loads of experience on top of those degrees. If you want to be a reporter, go be a reporter. Having a master's degree won't help you much in that regard.
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
markp_vip
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I agree with this, but some of my friends told me the practice tests didn't really prepare them for the real thing. Since I didn't take any practice tests, I don't know personally. I only took the GRE once, and my score was plenty high enough to qualify me for all the schools I was considering.
I don't know if the test has changed any from when I took it, but the practice tests prepared me pretty well for it. That being said, I thingk practice test and preparing are only going to improve any score marginally, because they aren't testing things that can be crammed in a couple month period. You pretty much know what you know.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
No offense, but I don't think you're a good candidate for grad school. You need to know what you want to study, why you want to study it, the market for the degree you're going to get, and a decent understanding of the return on investment for the degree itself.

A master's degree in journalism is only good if you want to become a journalism professor, and even then you need a lot of experience as an actual reporter. The J-school at USC is no joke; your professors know what they're talking about, and have loads of experience on top of those degrees. If you want to be a reporter, go be a reporter. Having a master's degree won't help you much in that regard.
Journalism is a lot more than just being a "reporter."
I have to take the gre before I even apply, I just started to research grad school and what I want to get out of it.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I don't know if the test has changed any from when I took it, but the practice tests prepared me pretty well for it. That being said, I thingk practice test and preparing are only going to improve any score marginally, because they aren't testing things that can be crammed in a couple month period. You pretty much know what you know.
Yeah, I took it in January going into it after attending a free workshop that USC offered the previous semester. The workshop along with doing a few word/definition exercises in the month before really helped sharpen up for it and to know what to expect. In the long run, though,most of the stuff on the exam were items that should be common knowledge after completing basic college English and math classes. I did take a practice test the day before with the main purpose being to get down a good cadence for taking the test itself rather than trying to make sure answers were correct.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
RoyalAir
Recruit

Male

RoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudlyRoyalAir is crowing loudly

Quote:
Journalism is a lot more than just being a "reporter."
I have to take the gre before I even apply, I just started to research grad school and what I want to get out of it.
Yeah, I know it is. I went to USC's journalism school.

What do you want to do with a master's in journalism?
RoyalAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #18
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAir View Post
Yeah, I know it is. I went to USC's journalism school.

What do you want to do with a master's in journalism?
I feel like there are some things that I can get better at, writting being one of them.

From what I read, a master will set you apart from the rest which isn't a bad thing.

My supervisor told me that I could go to school and work if I wanted to... I say to myself, why not? A master would only educate me more...

Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

I understand the USC deal, but you also have some other options, look around at other masters schools that have you want, some don't require a GRE. The only reason for taking that test is so they have more criteria to make a decision.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
I feel like there are some things that I can get better at, writting being one of them.

From what I read, a master will set you apart from the rest which isn't a bad thing.

My supervisor told me that I could go to school and work if I wanted to... I say to myself, why not? A master would only educate me more...
Ever considered the international business program?...you already have the second language for the program
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote