CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ccured
Clowneygotcha
nicstockman
doubledribble
GregoryHouse
sporkgod50
catdaddy66
Gamecocks1137
lindsynthesis
Carolina Hype Video (1214)
Someone tried to hac (456)
Mens basketball 2016 (449)
Who watches Big Brot (327)
AMC brings Humans to (313)
What is the best gra (190)
Guy Pretends to Get (137)
Today Show (28)
Favorite Place To Eat Tha
TeMarcus Blanton
Will Max Schrock sign wit
Carolina Hype Video 2015
Discussion: 2016 Recruit
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
Name a Gamecock
Guy Pretends to Get Draft
official UFC thread. (new
UFC Fight Night 70: Lyoto

Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default CCA to vote on early signing period

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...llege-football

The SEC is the only conference that's against it. Personally, I think it's a good thing. Discuss.

Last edited by Lonnie; 06-16-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
AmonRa777
4-Star

Male

AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit
Default Re: CCA to vote on early signing period

long overdue IMHO...Should be the month of July and February to sign...Official visits for rising seniors should be year round...
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'm not sure if I like this rule and the reason is the schools that are going to benefit the most are the schools that are appealing during the Spring/Summer (ie Clemson) whereas USC really pushes its Gameday experience.

This is really going to shrink down recruiting boards in a hurry too. Which means bigger schools are going to be going after the plan B recruits that we usually target earlier.

Also its been well documented that we encourage kids to take other visits .. This probably won't work too well with the risk that a kid could sign an LOI with another school and doesn't allow our coaches to do damage control.

It'll also put a strain on kids to jump in the boat at bigger schools because they'll use the "we are going to fill up" card.

If this passes, Spurrier and crew are going to need to adjust quickly. We are really going to need to create a recruiting department or something like Alabama and Clemson have.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1422
seamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPitseamus rules the CockPit

August and February makes sense to me. This way the recruits that want to sign before their senior season can sign and not be distracted during the season.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'm not sure if I like this rule and the reason is the schools that are going to benefit the most are the schools that are appealing during the Spring/Summer (ie Clemson) whereas USC really pushes its Gameday experience.
The early signing period would be in December, not summer.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I guess that is what I get for skimming through it. However, if they are going to do this in December it makes no sense with the OV period usually in January.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
I guess that is what I get for skimming through it. However, if they are going to do this in December it makes no sense with the OV period usually in January.
It makes sense for kids like B.A.W. who knew from the beginning where he was going to end up. If kids are still on the fence in December then they can wait and take a second round of visits in Jan.

What this will do, I think, is intensify the pressure on the kids that don't sign in Dec.

Who I also think this is good for is the 3* player that gets their offer bumped/trumped by a 5* who comes in at the last min. (A coach down in Tuscaloosa is famous for doing that.) It's a great way for those type of kids to be assured they aren't going to have to hunt for a spot on NSD when all of the sudden their offer in no longer committable because of unexpected "higher rated" kids coming on board.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
AmonRa777
4-Star

Male

AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit

December is not early enough...Early date needs to be in july...
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

I could see it if it were in August, but shaving 6 -8 weeks off? The other thing is when a coach like Franklin is at Vandy, he says he's going to be there, then bang, he's gone.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
December is not early enough...Early date needs to be in july...
That wouldn't be beneficial to the student athlete just the school. What happens if a coach leaves early or a recruiting promise is broken after the LOI is signed (EG "you are the only player at your position we will recruit in this class if you sign") how do the kids protect themselves from that when they have to sign a binding document. There need to be numerous opt out clauses in these early LOIs if they are going to be good for both the school and the student athlete.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
That wouldn't be beneficial to the student athlete just the school. What happens if a coach leaves early or a recruiting promise is broken after the LOI is signed (EG "you are the only player at your position we will recruit in this class if you sign") how do the kids protect themselves from that when they have to sign a binding document. There need to be numerous opt out clauses in these early LOIs if they are going to be good for both the school and the student athlete.
That already happens.

Quote:
There were nearly 20 coaching changes announced after the ink was dry on national letters of intent, including the retirement of longtime TCU defensive coordinator Dick Bumpas.
First off, you shouldn't commit to a COACH. You should commit to a SCHOOL. Coaches can leave at any time. But I get where this sentiment comes from, because the coaches are the guys the recruits and SA's are going to interact with. But it's also a case of Caveat emptor, where the recruit needs to do their due diligence and be ready for unexpected changes. One would likely if you know if your coach was endangered of getting fired. If they got a new job offer at a new school, that's a little less predictable.

Just think of our situation last year when we lost several kids after the end of the season. Would an early signing period have helped us, hurt us, or not made any difference?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
That already happens.

First off, you shouldn't commit to a COACH. You should commit to a SCHOOL. Coaches can leave at any time. But I get where this sentiment comes from, because the coaches are the guys the recruits and SA's are going to interact with. But it's also a case of Caveat emptor, where the recruit needs to do their due diligence and be ready for unexpected changes. One would likely if you know if your coach was endangered of getting fired. If they got a new job offer at a new school, that's a little less predictable.

Just think of our situation last year when we lost several kids after the end of the season. Would an early signing period have helped us, hurt us, or not made any difference?
An early signing period would have helped us last year, especially if there was one before the season started. That isn't a question because I think we would have kept Fields and a couple more on board after the Spurrier comments.

As for committing to a school over a coach that is a great theory and sentiment but if that is true no one should ever criticize Spurrier and Co on their recruiting efforts because it is the school that should attract the players not the coaches. People who say that can't have it both ways where the coaches need to be responsible for going all out to sell these kids on coming here but in reality they should recruit to the school and the coach shouldn't be an overwhelming factor in the decision. The fact of the matter is you're always going to have those issues where coaches change jobs or retire after NSD but it will be a massive problem with an early signing period. I'm sure that 20 would be in triple digits easily if the early signing period was in early December. I just see this as a positive for some schools and a negative for the vast majority of student athletes.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2833533
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I hope it passes.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
uscalum92
Recruit

Male

uscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spurs

What would happen if the NCAA got rid of "signing periods" all together? Why not allow a kid to sign as soon as he makes his commitment? You still could only sign 25 in a recruiting class and it would do away with the commit, de-commit, commit, de-commit saga that happens way too often. Is it because recruiting services have too much money invested in the recruiting process??
uscalum92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #15
OriginalGamecock
Blue Chip

Male

OriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
An early signing period would have helped us last year, especially if there was one before the season started. That isn't a question because I think we would have kept Fields and a couple more on board after the Spurrier comments.

As for committing to a school over a coach that is a great theory and sentiment but if that is true no one should ever criticize Spurrier and Co on their recruiting efforts because it is the school that should attract the players not the coaches. People who say that can't have it both ways where the coaches need to be responsible for going all out to sell these kids on coming here but in reality they should recruit to the school and the coach shouldn't be an overwhelming factor in the decision. The fact of the matter is you're always going to have those issues where coaches change jobs or retire after NSD but it will be a massive problem with an early signing period. I'm sure that 20 would be in triple digits easily if the early signing period was in early December. I just see this as a positive for some schools and a negative for the vast majority of student athletes.
I'll give you a great example of why it's a terrible idea to look at it as committing to a school over coach. Johnny McCrary was a three star DT-QB out of GA, who committed early to a James Franklin led Vandy squad in 2012. Just as a little bit of background, James Franklin is generally more of a spread guy, who saw McCrary as a perfect fit for his offense.

Franklin bolts Vandy for Penn State after a great season by Vandy standards and then Vandy goes out and makes one of the worst coaching hires in SEC history in Derek Mason. So Derek Mason (from Stanford) decides to scrap the spread offense that Franklin used and switch to a complicated multiple scheme pro-style/west coast offense, despite having a terrible offensive line (relative to the SEC competition they'd be facing). Now McCrary is absolutely screwed. He's forced to learn a system that he has zero chance of being successful in and probably has absolutely no desire to run. He either has to waste a year of eligibility to transfer or languish with a sub par coach and a sub par team, running a system that is a terrible fit for his talents. Vandy is a great school but Derek Mason is a terrible head coach (though a solid defensive co-ordinator) and that is the risk you run when you commit early and then end up playing for a stubborn coach.
OriginalGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #16
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscalum92 View Post
What would happen if the NCAA got rid of "signing periods" all together? Why not allow a kid to sign as soon as he makes his commitment? You still could only sign 25 in a recruiting class and it would do away with the commit, de-commit, commit, de-commit saga that happens way too often. Is it because recruiting services have too much money invested in the recruiting process??
It would make it to easy for a school to pay for a signature.... the pressure on the kids if every day were a signing day would be way to intense for a 17-19 year old kid to have to face IMO, the entire recruiting schedule and visit schedule would be really risky and would just mean JR's would commit until they could sign, it would just move the recruiting process up a year....
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalGamecock View Post
I'll give you a great example of why it's a terrible idea to look at it as committing to a school over coach. Johnny McCrary was a three star DT-QB out of GA, who committed early to a James Franklin led Vandy squad in 2012. Just as a little bit of background, James Franklin is generally more of a spread guy, who saw McCrary as a perfect fit for his offense.

Franklin bolts Vandy for Penn State after a great season by Vandy standards and then Vandy goes out and makes one of the worst coaching hires in SEC history in Derek Mason. So Derek Mason (from Stanford) decides to scrap the spread offense that Franklin used and switch to a complicated multiple scheme pro-style/west coast offense, despite having a terrible offensive line (relative to the SEC competition they'd be facing). Now McCrary is absolutely screwed. He's forced to learn a system that he has zero chance of being successful in and probably has absolutely no desire to run. He either has to waste a year of eligibility to transfer or languish with a sub par coach and a sub par team, running a system that is a terrible fit for his talents. Vandy is a great school but Derek Mason is a terrible head coach (though a solid defensive co-ordinator) and that is the risk you run when you commit early and then end up playing for a stubborn coach.
Yet, he'll have a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the south (#16 nationwide) when he's done. Please explain to me how he's screwed again?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Yet, he'll have a degree from one of the most prestigious universities in the south (#16 nationwide) when he's done. Please explain to me how he's screwed again?
By that logic Vandy should be the best team in the SEC hands down because there is no debating academically they are the best school in the SEC and it is by a decent margin. So yeah he got screwed because he came to play football in a system that was tailored to him and now he is stuck in a Stanford power rushing attack pro style which isn't his skill set. Kids don't commit to schools, they commit to coaches. If you agree with it or not isn't the point, the fact is that is the way it is for the majority of student athletes in football and basketball because they are about to devote a massive part of their life to the sport on top of school and doing that with a staff you trust is a huge factor.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000022205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
isn't most of December now a dead period.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
OriginalGamecock
Blue Chip

Male

OriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPitOriginalGamecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Neglecting to even get into the fact that he'll never get to have a fulfilling career as a QB, he'll probably graduate with some BS degree in sociology or lesbian studies which will maybe qualify him for a barista job at Starbucks, Vanderbilt or no Vanderbilt. If we are being honest, the academics are, at best, a secondary concern for 99.9999% of these kids. They want to be in a system that will optimize their talents, first and foremost. If Spurrier retires and we hired a pro-style coach I'd bet a sizable amount of money that McIlwain decommits and goes elsewhere. From his perspective, it's the right move too. As much as McIlwain wants to be a Gamecock and as much as he seems to love the school, it'd be ludicrous to expect him to weight that heavier than the offensive system that he'd be playing in for the next four years.
OriginalGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote