CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingofnerf
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Absfract
Storm Of Spurs
MWard
SwampFox
TKE226
COCKYWOOD
easymoney
Wilds & Carson B (2215)
Marquavius Lewis (1966)
So, why is next year (1819)
How Long Will The Re (1219)
Restaurant musts in (906)
Why do so many of yo (729)
Shot in the arm for (635)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (611)
Custom Jersey (254)
5 Gourmet Foods That (167)
Previewing Clemson
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
The Vent and Coaching cha
NY Giants Joe Morrison tr
2015 - Mark Fields
2015 Commitment - Dante S
Wilds & Carson Back f
Bo Pelini headed to Young
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
The U ends apparel deal w

Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #21
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Re: Worst Interstate Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
The tailgaiter - Interstate is packed all lanes bumper to bumper, steady but slower speed. This guy will tailgate your ass to try to intimdate you to get out of the way. He doesn't realize that even if you do get out of the way, there are 127 more cars in front of you going the exact same speed.
This. Even worse, the tailgater who tailgates merely for the pleasure of tailgating. You finally get a chance to get over so they can proceed ahead of you without further endangering your life... and they never pass. They just stay there until you eventually have to get back over in front of them again. Apparently, they are just attempting to draft.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Mississippi past a law last year making it illegal to drive in the left lane slower that other traffic. Placed all these nice signs all over the interstate and are now 200 troopers short to enforce the law. New law and nothing changed.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #23
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

How about the highschool kid who rear-ends you while your doing 70 in the middle lane. Yeah this actually happened to me a couple weeks ago. Actually felt bad for the kid, his Mom and Granddad came to pick him up and he had to go and finish exams. End result, decent sized dent in my 2006 Tundra's bumper and total loss on what use to be his 2003 Infiniti. Pays to drive a truck.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECgamecock453 View Post
The person who tailgates you in the left lane not realizing that you can only go as fast as the slowest guy ahead of you.
And flashes his headlights at you. lol.

The other day, I was behind a sheriff's car, so I slowed down as to not tailgate him and then set my cruise control his same speed. Dude who knew a cop was there the whole time, randomly decides to start tailgating me and flashing his headlights at me to get over. How do I signal "there's a police officer in front of me, dumbass". I put my hand up in the air like WTF? and pointed at the cop car and he just throws his hands up at me and waves at me to get over. So, I get over and he proceeds to start tailgating the cop. Of course, he didn't get a ticket or anything. Whatevz.

Speaking of cops, people who slow down aggressively bc a cop car already has someone pulled over on the side of the road... dude, really? He's clearly occupied and we're only going 10 over right now.

Similarly... **** rubberneckers. That's intolerable.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Not interstate related, but I love how people have forgotten the rules of a 4 way stop. Nowadays it's basically a free-for-all and whoever floors it first.

Also, the small traffic circle "round-a-bouts" they put in neighborhoods that nobody uses properly. They just cut through left if they are turning left instead of going right and all the way around the median like you are supposed to.
Helicopter Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #26
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
It is called cruise control.
LOL worst excuse ever.

Cruise control is adjustable, my friend. I use it every day and probably 90% of my interstate driving is via cruise control.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter Cock View Post
Also, the small traffic circle "round-a-bouts" they put in neighborhoods that nobody uses properly. They just cut through left if they are turning left instead of going right and all the way around the median like you are supposed to.
I'm guilty of this.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #28
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I was amused and slightly scared when I was riding with a friend back from Savannah. He had two people cut him off on the interstate. For the 1st one, he decided to "chase" this person .. at one point both cars were going 90. The 2nd person, he pretty much rode the horn until the person got back in their original lane and then coordinated with our friends in the other cars through walkie talkies to box them in for a while.
You adrenaline junkie.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

Helicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervousHelicopter Cock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I'm guilty of this.
Not even the worst part. Originally, it was an intersection with 2 stop signs, but the main road had no stop sign. So they put in the Round-a-bout to prevent kids from going 80 through the neighborhood. Well, the problem is, NOBODY YIELDS AT THE ROUND-A-BOUT. They still treat it like they did before, totally blowing through the Yield sign. Just a waste of money to build that thing.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #30
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
You adrenaline junkie.
I don't think it was the speed as much as weaving.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #31
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
I'm guilty of this.
I was just about to say "I have never seen anyone do that"... you drive the wrong way through roundabouts?! lol that seems extremely dangerous unless this is just a residential thing where you can see all incoming streets.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #32
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
I have never seen a stoplight on an interstate...
I have, they're called ramp meters

Name:  North_Western_to_Northern_On.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  287.0 KB

Name:  Ramp_Meter.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  454.0 KB

Name:  Ramp_meter_from_Miller_Park_Way_to_I-94_east_in_Milwaukee.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  73.8 KB
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #33
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Also, I'd like to go on record and say that Malfunction Junction (I-20/I-26 interchange) in Columbia is probably the worst highway design in history.

The traffic jams there would probably be non-existent if it had a better design.
The design isn't the problem. It's a standard clover in a diamond design. There are 3 problems with the intersection.
1) The volume of traffic. I think they severely underestimated just how many people would be driving this area.
2) Not enough space to merge, especially on the clover ramps.
3) Proximity to I-126. Having more than a mile or whatever it is between where 126 meets 26 and the 20/26 intersection would alleviate some of the problems.

It suited the needs in the late 50s/early 60s when it was designed and built. There just wasn't enough forethought to project how much Columbia would grow and how much that interstate section would be used.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #34
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
2 & 3 piss me off the most, but only when I'm in short time, and need to
get somewhere at a certain time. Otherwise, I just wait for an opening
and get by them ASAP. .. when I'm on a schedule, or need to be somewhere
at a specific time, these people make me want to drive my vehicle up their
tailpipe !!!!

I'll say this as well. EVERYWHERE in the state of SC that I've driven is
like a summer afternoon pleasure drive compared to Columbia SC ?!?!?!

I've lived here for 12 years, and I HATE driving the major interstates
around the city. I think it's because local people have gotten so used
to driving in some of the most SCREWED UP Road systems in the nation,
that they have become "hogs" on the roadways. Some of the stupidest,
most irresponsible asses I've ever seen behind a wheel drive the roads
of the Columbia area.
You could start a whole thread about the interstates around Columbia. Driving in the right lane on 20 towards Augusta past the 378 exit more than once and new shocks are needed. The potholes...on an INTERSTATE are ridiculous. Not to mention that they need to add another lane for about 10 more miles and install cloverleafs at each exit.

Malfunction Junction is the worst. Trying to get onto 126 from 20 every morning is the a daily adventure. Fortunately though other commuters know about it and it's not much trouble. By and large it's been my experience that SC drivers let you in and let you over more than states up north.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #35
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
The design isn't the problem. It's a standard clover in a diamond design. There are 3 problems with the intersection.
1) The volume of traffic. I think they severely underestimated just how many people would be driving this area.
3) Proximity to I-126. Having more than a mile or whatever it is between where 126 meets 26 and the 20/26 intersection would alleviate some of the problems.

It suited the needs in the late 50s/early 60s when it was designed and built. There just wasn't enough forethought to project how much Columbia would grow and how much that interstate section would be used.
They desperately need a fly-over lane to get onto 126 from 20, and another to get onto 20 towards Florence from 26. That in and of itself would alleviate traffic a ton.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
Helicopter Cock
To impress a chick

Male

I just recently about a month ago got a job out in Chapin, so my work hours changed to 8-5. My gawd I didn't know how bad Malfunction Junction really was until I started this commute home.

I now just settle for going across the dam home (US-76 to Hwy 6).
Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #37
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

For me, people that talk/text on the phone and don't pay attention to anything else, tailgaters, and rubberneckers are the ones that irritate me the most. Those are the more dangerous situations.

The issues with people driving slowly or not letting people pass are minor annoyances and not worth doing something stupid to be less annoyed.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #38
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post

The lack of merge space has been frightening at times when trying to get on 20 from 26.

They could also do a little better on signage. I-126 is three lanes; however, the signs would lead you to believe that it is 2 lanes. I've seen people desperately try to get over to the left 2 lanes to get on I-126 only to find out in the end that the lane they were in splits to both I-126 and I-26.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #39
tkousc
Blue Chip

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
How about the guy who speeds up just because you're passing them. They race you just enough to keep you beside them. You can slow down and move back over behind them then they slow down. Try to pass them and the dance starts all over again.
This happened to me this past weekend. Was on I-20 in the middle of nowhere Georgia coming back from Rome GA and these group of good ole boys did this and kept flashing their hazard and regular lights at me just to be aholes. I was doing 85 or so and they would speed up or slow down accordingly. Then they got off at some exit with nothing there I assume to go make their moonshine or whatever you do for fun in Camak GA.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #40
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
2 & 3 piss me off the most, but only when I'm in short time, and need to
get somewhere at a certain time. Otherwise, I just wait for an opening
and get by them ASAP.
.. when I'm on a schedule, or need to be somewhere
at a specific time, these people make me want to drive my vehicle up their
tailpipe !!!!

I'll say this as well. EVERYWHERE in the state of SC that I've driven is
like a summer afternoon pleasure drive compared to Columbia SC ?!?!?!

I've lived here for 12 years, and I HATE driving the major interstates
around the city. I think it's because local people have gotten so used
to driving in some of the most SCREWED UP Road systems in the nation,
that they have become "hogs" on the roadways. Some of the stupidest,
most irresponsible asses I've ever seen behind a wheel drive the roads
of the Columbia area.
Doesn't that make you be #1?
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote