CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
TAFC 5 1981
WeStillOwnUSC
b381l
Sir Cuss
Gamecocks1137
kick_ball
eightohhthree
Coulwoodwarlord
uniforms saturday (2439)
Auburn looks beatabl (2201)
Vandy Fans (1583)
Three young corners (819)
King - South Carolin (679)
**official Vandy pre (676)
Watch ESPN3 regional (672)
Cardinal's Jonathan (573)
No Vandy Predictions (359)
tailgating canopy on (340)
**official Vandy predicti
ESPN reporter adding to t
The SEC East schedule fro
2015 Commitment - Arden K
No Vandy Predictions Thre
King - South Carolina vs
Three young corners progr
Next years RB situation
Gamecocks Traveling to Au
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 06-22-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Best Shrimp and Grits Recipe?

I'm heading to the beach next month with some friends. As much as I love hitting up some of the restaurants down there, I would like to cook something good in the hotel once or twice. I figure since I'm at the beach and there's likely some good seafood markets around, I'll make some shrimp and grits one night.

I've found a recipe that looks promising online, but just wanted to get some input. Any of y'all got a recipe you keep going back to, or have one you've made yourself (I'm looking at you, Yancey)? Thanks in advance!

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best Shrimp and Grits Recipe?

Make sure you take country ham from somewhere like four oaks or else where, it's as critical as the shrimp.

Good luck!

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Tasso ham gravy, even if you can't cook grits everything is good under Tasso ham.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

Bacon grease, bacon grease, bacon grease...
nodnahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Frosty
Blue Chip

Male

Frosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPitFrosty rules the CockPit

i purchase most of my shrimp and grit ingredients from Boone Hall farms in Mount Pleasant. Andouille Sausage and tasso ham as well as bacon go in to it. Headed to the water to run a fishing trip now but will respond later with more info. It's nevert exactly the same but always good.
Attached Images

Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I LOVE Shrimp & Grits !

There's lots of ways to make it, but the best I've ever eaten was in a
seafood restaurant in Savannah about 15 years ago. I have not eaten
S/G that good since, but I found a recipe on YouTube and tried it out
a few years back that came real close. ... I've made this a lot at home
when I get a taste for S/G and don't feel like driving more than 50-70
miles to find it. I don't add any of the hot / spicy ingredients with the
recipe (Personal taste). I posted this in a recipe thread here a few years
back.

Can't get the YouTube link to show on this video, so here's the link itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwCZ...GX__Q&index=23
Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Save the shells make a shrimp stock with celery, onion, carrot and peppercorns. Use the stock in place of water when making the grits and finish the grits off w/ some cream.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

I like to prepare my grits the traditional way with added cheddar, and a shit ton of black pepper. Then I put a stainless steel skillet over medium heat and sweat a bit of finely diced onion for about 10 minutes before tossing in a few cloves of minced garlic. Once everything is soft, I kill the heat, toss in the shrimp (shelled, deveined, tails on), add a few shots of bourbon, and flambé the little guys until the fire dies down. Serve in a bowl with grits on the bottom and shrimp on top.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
gamecockjay
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPitgamecockjay rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I LOVE Shrimp & Grits !

back.

This is what I use and it is pretty darn good.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I LOVE Shrimp & Grits !

back.

Embedded for ya.

I've had it like this, and it's really good. The only thing I would do different if I was doing it that way is to not use so much water for the grits. he uses a 6:1 ratio of water to grits, and that is just entirely too much water. I normally go 3½ cups of water and ½ cup of milk per 1 cup of grits. I bring the liquid to a low boil, whisk in the grits, drop the heat to low, and stir frequently. Salt 'em, pepper 'em, butter 'em, and cheese 'em.