CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
auslander
MEL
sanford
MWard
ccured
Spurticus
Acockolypse Now
The Yancey
WeStillOwnUSC
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1461)
Texags (1213)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (1092)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Ace suspended 4 game (989)
Dawg DL man arrested (897)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (741)
Comporium (736)
Georgia DE Jonathan (613)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (604)
2015 - Traveon Samuel
2015 - Mon Denson
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Texags
2015 - Zack Bailey
Another A&M aggie off
2014-2015 Men's Non Confe
Ace suspended 4 games
2015 - Albert Huggins

Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Apollo 11 Lunar Landing 45th Anniversary

Greatest moment in human and US history, unlike today's sad state of NASA's affairs. We always prided ourselves as the leaders into space all to have it all but dismantled and allowing the Russians to ultimately win the Space Race.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material
Default Re: Apollo 11 Lunar Landing 45th Anniversary

Lol, "space race"
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Greatest moment in human and US history, unlike today's sad state of NASA's affairs. We always prided ourselves as the leaders into space all to have it all but dismantled and allowing the Russians to ultimately win the Space Race.
You are abjectly full of crap.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Where were you on this day in 1969? We were stationed at Sheppard AFB, TX where my dad was on instructor duty. I remember watching everything that was telecast from the liftoff to the splash down.

Back then you could write NASA and ask for free stuff. I still have a few items like the crew photos, mission logs and other things they would send you. Those were truly the good old days.

Now morale at NASA has been in the crapper for some time, due to the end of the shuttle program and the cancellation of what was to be it's replacement (Constellation). Now we have to pay Ivan through the nose and out the a$$ to ferry our astronauts to the ISS.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html

Last edited by SwampFox; 07-21-2014 at 06:32 PM.
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

First part is true.

Second part - lol
Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I have always loved the history of the manned space program. From Mercury to Apollo, I try to read all I can get my hands on regarding the subject. The book and movie "The Right Stuff" were phenomenal and sparked my desire to learn all I could.

Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong, John Glenn, Buzz Aldrin, et al! Etched in the name of history...
Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

Rooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his combRooster'srule is developing his comb

I was down at Santee...Wyboo
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Let me remind everyone that we now rely on the Russians to get into space we do not even have the space vehicles to even put our astronauts into orbit. The very second we became dependent on the Russians to get into space as far as I am concerned we lost. Just ask yourselves the money we could have been investing into going to Mars where has it gone?
Old 07-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

the lunar landing is not the greatest moment in human history
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
to be fair, the OP said US history

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
What is the greatest moment in human history? Ever since the dawn of man, man has looked up to the moon and wanted to go there. Just a mere 66 years after man achieved flight humans landed on a celestial body.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
to be fair, the OP said US history
no he said human and us history
Old 07-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:

Here is why you are wrong:

1) Look up Sputnik 1.

2) Look up Yuri Gagarin.

3) Look up the 1963 United Nations General Assembly and the proposed US-Soviet Moon Program (which was only interrupted by the Kennedy Assasination). This cooperative venture was picked back up in 1975 or so and the countries have been working together since.

4) Look up Valentina Toreshkova.

My point is that you cant argue that Russia was not right there or ahead of the United States for much of the space race. They were the leaders in the space race with their rocket technology and their lack of care for human or pet life.

I approached the space race argument from this angle because I suspect that the counter argument is that the US is in the lead in the Space race due to the manned moon landing and also our voyager satellites reaches parts of the universe no other country has come close to reaching (other than long-dead cosmonauts - but that is a whole nother discussion) and the fact that the USSR's space program dissolved in 1991 when the USSR did (with the program parts controlled not by various Eastern European countries) and also the fact that the leading pioneer of the Space Exploration by Manned Vehicles Race is now being headed by a Canadian-American living in Los Angeles California (Elon Musk).

So either way you slice it, either the United States won the space race with the Lunar Moon landing or you are arguing that the space race is a continuing saga of space related events; which means the Soviets were the won who won early and we have been winning every since and into the foreseeable future.

We now have vehicles on Mars, civilian space travel is being spearheaded by a Canadian-American typhoon and Russia never put a man on the moon.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

LOL what?
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
What is the greatest moment in human history? Ever since the dawn of man, man has looked up to the moon and wanted to go there. Just a mere 66 years after man achieved flight humans landed on a celestial body.
It is very subjective. Given your statement I would argue human flight since with out it there would be no going to the moon. I really can't say anyone is right or wrong. However please tell me other than actually walking on the moon what has the moon landing actually done for man? I will throw out some that I believe are much higher on the chart.

-Fall of Rome
-Taking flight
-Guttenberg finishing his printing press
-Dropping the atomic bomb
-Creating and harnessing fire (this is mine)

if you are religious
-birth of Christ
-resurrection of Christ
-Buddha finding enlightment
-Mohammed going to Medina
-Luther's 95 Theses being published

My point is there is no single greatest moment in human history
Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #16
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

Quote:
My point is that you cant argue that Russia was not right there or ahead of the United States for much of the space race.
The Russians beat us in the early launches because they cut corners.

Sputnik was the first satellite, but all it did was beep until it's batteries went dead after 22 days. It burned up on reentry after 92 days in orbit. Our first satellite, Explorer 1, was launched a few months later. Unlike Sputnik, Explorer had scientific instruments on board and detected, among other things, the Van Allen Radiation Belts. Explorer 1 provided useful data for over 4 months before it's batteries went dead, and it stayed in orbit for over 11 years.

As for manned spaceflight, again, the Russians beat us by cutting corners. While they did put an man up first, he could do nothing but sit in the capsule, look out the window, and talk. He hand no control whatsoever, so he was a passenger. He also did not return to Earth in his capsule, as the Russians ejected him after reentry.

The first flight into space and return by a man in a piloted vehicle was made a few weeks later by Cmdr. Alan Shepard, USN.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
It is very subjective. Given your statement I would argue human flight since with out it there would be no going to the moon. I really can't say anyone is right or wrong. However please tell me other than actually walking on the moon what has the moon landing actually done for man? I will throw out some that I believe are much higher on the chart.

-Fall of Rome
-Taking flight

if you are religious
-birth of Christ
-resurrection of Christ

All of those are good and all, I am religious man myself. But um, walking on the moon we did by ourselves. That is one hell of an achievement, and I wish we could go back.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
-Fall of Rome
-Taking flight
Rome more or less just faded away it really didn't "fall" as other empires had done or since.

Dropping the atomic bomb is one of humanity's and the US worst moments as all it did was create a means to destroy humanity. A weapon that was used on innocents because the Japanese were viewed in the same manner that the Jews were viewed by the Nazis as some subhuman species. Now the atomic bomb was a history altering moment but not a moment that shows humanity's best attributes.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #19
Cocked & Locked
Recruit

Male

Cocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talonsCocked & Locked has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

-Fall of Rome
-Taking flight

if you are religious
-birth of Christ
-resurrection of Christ

I agree with your religious statements, but the list you created is very subjective as well.

Yours would not be without these...

-Fall of Rome -Bronze and Iron Ages -Taking flight -Invention of the wheel
-Guttenberg finishing his printing press -1800 BC: alphabetic writing
-Dropping the atomic bomb -Gun powder
-Creating and harnessing fire (this is mine) Ok I'll you this one!

Like you stated above "other than actually walking on the moon what has the moon landing actually done for man?" and my answer is that none of the things you listed would have been accomplished without the list I provided and I am sure someone could come up with a better list than mine and trump mine as well.

My point is that it takes many, many years in between and we are still in waiting on the next big space adventure or project.
Cocked & Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:43 AM   #20
auslander
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 833
auslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot materialauslander is USC mascot material

Really no nation "won" the space race. The US did many things out of Earth's orbit that are noteworthy. You could say then that in that regard we made great strides there. The USSR put together long term space missions. That will be critical if we as humans are to go anywhere. So could it be said that the two built something that might mesh together?