CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
doubledribble
Cockdude81sc
GarnetSwarm1990
SwampFox
cockyguitar
MaxQAg
uscjeremynca
TheMule
RockRocks787
yazoo
Elcid99 (2812)
PSU drops a prospect (1649)
Bad movies that are (856)
Mizzou WR suspended (686)
John Abraham DUI (589)
Best Offensive " (466)
I was there, when (422)
Rokevious Watkins cu (415)
Re-Airing South Caro (374)
Travelle Warton reti (325)
Clemson Recruiting...how
Green and Lammons
Clemson, Auburn home and
An Aggies View of the Mat
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Official SEC Network and
Elcid99
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
2015 Commitment - A.J. Tu

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #1
MaxQAg
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
MaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervous
Default An Aggies View of the Matchups for First Game

Just overall matchup breakdown as my Aggie eyes see it. Very interested in you folks' perspective on each unit.

A&M D-Line vs. USC O-Line: Advantage USC
A&M cline is bigger and has more depth than last year. The young guys that played a bunch last year have put on significant weight. They are young but I expect significant improvement from a year ago. However, the USC O-line is good and has some experience.

A&M Backers vs. USC Backs/TE: Large Advantage USC
Our backers are the weakest part of the defense. Although, I expect significant improvements with this unit, they were so bad last year that significant improvements will just bring us up to bad this year. We have improved depth here also, but loosing Darian Claiborne will hurt us here more than loosing Golden will hurt our line. We have guys to backfill this year but they are not proven.

A&M Secondary vs. USC Rec/QB: Slight Advantage USC
A&Ms corners are very good, our safeties are question marks. A&Ms safeties played a significant role last year in run support because our front 7 was so porous. That hurt us in the big play department. Improvement from the front 7 is a key for the secondary. Also, we have talented underclassmen coming in and a new secondary coach. Know the Carolina receivers will be good but I believe some are new, with a new QB in their 1st game of the year. If the safeties don't improve then USC will win this battle.

A&M O-Line vs. USC D-Line: Advantage A&M
Rumors of the demise of the A&M offense with the departure of Matthews, Evans, and Manziel are much exaggerated in my opinion. The O-Line returns 4 starters off of a very good line. Cedric Obeuighi (o-BWAY-hee) will replace Jake Matthews at left tackle and is projected top 10 pick in next years nfl draft. Germain Ifedi started at guard last year will slide out to right tackle where spring reports were glowing (aren't they all). He's an athletic guy and there is very little concern he will be successful. One guard is a projected top 3 rounds pick and the center is Jake Matthews little brother Mike. The only position up for grabs is the other guard spot and we have 3 guys fighting for that, one started a few games last two seasons due to injures. On your side you lost your 2 best linemen plus another I believe? How do you replace Clowney? I think you will be solid but you will have 2 or 3 new starters in their 1st game. And you're switching schemes? to a 34?

A&M Backs/TE/Slot vs. USC LB: Push
Seems your strength of the defense is LB. This is a great matchup. A&M has 3 juniors and a freshman manning the RB position. Tra Carson is big but has some great moves. Trey Williams is smaller and extremely shifty and quick with great vision. Brandon Williams is a burner, bigger that T. Williams but smaller than Carson. Quick acceleration out of cuts. All 3 catch well out of the backfield. Our TE is Cam Clear 6-7/280/4.6 40. Matchup night mare in the slot and a good blocker from the H-back spot. Will also use a slot guy on a backer or safety and usually find a mismatch there.

A&M Receivers/QB vs. USC Secondary: Slight Advantage A&M
We will have a new QB and some new faces at receiver. Many of our receivers played significant time last year (Holmes, Pope, Gonzalez, Tabuyo, and Kennedy). Malcom Kennedy is our returning senior, runs good routes and catches everything. We are replacing Evans and Labhart but the cupboard is deep here. We have at least 4 or 5 that are over 6-4, and there are some smaller quick guys. All are pretty fast and all are physical. Seems your secondary is the big question and you are counting on freshmen for depth. We will run at least 8 receivers at you and will always be fresh. Don't know who the QB will be yet. Sumlin has a system and the QBs will run it. Manziel didn't so much fit into the system as the system was adjusted for his skills. I'm not worried about QB. We won't have Manziel, but we will have a QB who will get the ball to playmakers and manage the game.

S&M Special Teams vs. USC Special Teams: DNK
I expect A&Ms special teams to be very good. Some have predicted them to the top in the SEC. I have no idea what USC has here or how you've been in the past.

Home Field: Advantage USC
Williams-Brice, 'nuff said. Probably, but I would like to add that A&M is a good road team under Sumlin. He will have them ready.
MaxQAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #2
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit
Default Re: An Aggies View of the Matchups for First Game

Thanks, the A&M/Carolina game should be very competitive and a really good game.
scfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #3
vthokies
Recruit

Male

vthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his clawsvthokies is sharpening his claws

Great post. I think it will be a good game and by no means a blow out. Im expecting a 4th quarter nail biter and whoever turns the ball over less and has the ball last possibly. Looking forward to seeing both teams!
vthokies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #4
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

sounds reasonable.. nice post..
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #5
Harris7x
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 575
Harris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his combHarris7x is developing his comb

Good post -
"now the Carolina receivers will be good but I believe some are new, with a new QB in their 1st game of the year."
but FYI our QB isnt exactly new.
Dylan Thompson was the only QB to beat UCF last year...
He beat an #11 Clemson team on the road in 2012
He threw the game winner against Michigan in the Outback bowl of 2012
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #6
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 47813
CackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPitCackDiesel rules the CockPit

As long as your special teams has a pulse I'm gonna go ahead and say advantage ATM, based on our lack of punter or a threat in the return game. Small Frye is the real deal though.

CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #7
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Pretty spot on. Big question marks for us at CB and DE. We will improve over the course of the year at CB. I'm not sure that we will improve at DE. Any rate, I think we score 4 to 5 touchdowns, and your group sells out to stop the run. It will not be good for us if we can't get pressure on your QB. Especially early. We need to seize the momentum.

For special teams, we have a really good kicker. Our punter is the definition of inconsistent. He will kick it 45 yards one punt, and then 5 the next. Question mark at returner. Cooper has talent, but blocking has been a weakness for us. Even when we has Ace Sanders returning punts for touchdowns, blocking wasn't fantastic.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM   #8
Lindsay2614
Walk On

Male

Lindsay2614 has feathers coming inLindsay2614 has feathers coming in

Special teams advantage A&M
Lindsay2614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #9
MaxQAg
Walk On

Male

MaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervousMaxQAg is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris7x View Post
Good post -
"now the Carolina receivers will be good but I believe some are new, with a new QB in their 1st game of the year."
but FYI our QB isnt exactly new.
Dylan Thompson was the only QB to beat UCF last year...
He beat an #11 Clemson team on the road in 2012
He threw the game winner against Michigan in the Outback bowl of 2012
Thanks, Harris. I lost track of him so good info for me. As I said our corners are very good cover guys and both have 3 years experience starting. We got decent nickel play last year and that guy is coming back (Ellis). Howard Matthews played well for us 2 yrs ago, but had a bad year at safety last year. Spring reports are that he has really turned a corner working with our new secondary coach and looked like an altogether different player. If that comes to pass (you know how spring reports are, everyone is superman) I would move this category to a slight advantage for the Aggies. That being said, I will have nothing to go on until we play so I have to say advantage Cocks. That is what makes this season so interesting for us. Lots to learn about our team.
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #10
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I expect you guys to hit on some big plays, probably for scores, but for us to shut you down overall.

We should be able to ball control you. This team likes to take you out to the deep water and drown you in the 4th.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #11
ABATTBQ11
Walk On

Male

ABATTBQ11 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQAg View Post
A&M Receivers/QB vs. USC Secondary: Slight Advantage A&M
We will have a new QB and some new faces at receiver. Many of our receivers played significant time last year (Holmes, Pope, Gonzalez, Tabuyo, and Kennedy). Malcom Kennedy is our returning senior, runs good routes and catches everything. We are replacing Evans and Labhart but the cupboard is deep here. We have at least 4 or 5 that are over 6-4, and there are some smaller quick guys. All are pretty fast and all are physical. Seems your secondary is the big question and you are counting on freshmen for depth. We will run at least 8 receivers at you and will always be fresh. Don't know who the QB will be yet. Sumlin has a system and the QBs will run it. Manziel didn't so much fit into the system as the system was adjusted for his skills. I'm not worried about QB. We won't have Manziel, but we will have a QB who will get the ball to playmakers and manage the game.
I would say this is a heavy A&M advantage because of a lack of experience and depth in the SC secondary. If Mike Evans made Johnny, then RSJ, Nacho, and Speedy can make either Kenny or Kyle. At the risk of sounding like a homer, we have a lot of talent in our receiving corps, and we might have one of the best that SC will face all year.

Everything else is spot on though.

Edit: As I posted in another thread, I question DT's consistency at QB. SC beat UCF, not Thompson. He was 15/32 with 1 INT and 0 TD's. Mike Davis had a much bigger impact with his 150 rushing yards in the second half. While Thompson has shown flashes of greatness in single drives or end of the game back up roles, he hasn't shown consistency in a full game, single QB scenario. In games where he has thrown 10 passes or more, he's only been above a 60% completion rate 2/8 times. The only games he's ever been over 60% with ten passes or more in were the aforementioned Michigan game, when he went 7/10, and Coastal Carolina, which shouldn't even count. His TD/INT ratio against big time opponents (not Coastal Carolina and UAB) over the last two years is 9/5. I would call the SC Receivers/QB vs A&M Secondary either a push or very slight advantage A&M for this reason only.

Last edited by ABATTBQ11; Yesterday at 06:55 PM.
ABATTBQ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #12
MaxQAg
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABATTBQ11 View Post
I would say this is a heavy A&M advantage because of a lack of experience and depth in the SC secondary. If Mike Evans made Johnny, then RSJ, Nacho, and Speedy can make either Kenny or Kyle. At the risk of sounding like a homer, we have a lot of talent in our receiving corps, and we might have one of the best that SC will face all year.

Everything else is spot on though.
My understanding is USC has some backfill in the secondary and one experienced safety coming back. They are relying on freshmen for depth and to push the guys who have been there. We are going to put some young receivers out there with a brand new QB, maybe a true freshman QB. Until we prove it, I don't buy it! I believe our depth at receiver and the fact that we have guys who played last year (although they are young) will give us a bit of a leg up. I like to think A&M has a lot of potential, but I can't say we have a big advantage here until they show it. And they can't show it before this game, so I'll have to disagree with you.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #13
MaxQAg
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I expect you guys to hit on some big plays, probably for scores, but for us to shut you down overall.

We should be able to ball control you. This team likes to take you out to the deep water and drown you in the 4th.
Like the handle! I do not expect you to "shut us down" overall. Ball control us, probably, but shut us down no. Our offense will move the ball, they are loaded with talent and experience. Less experience at WR, and minimal to none at QB, although both positions have talent.

What you have to do is take advantage of our D, which can be done. Davis scares me and your o-line is good. I don't know much about your QB but I know Spurrier knows talent, how to develop it, and how to get the most out of it (Rex Grossman). But you are going to have to score and minimize mistakes, because I really don't believe you will shut us down.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #14
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I'm surprised everyone is anticipating a high scoring game. Given that we're breaking in a few younger receivers and Dylan is taking the reins fully for the first time, I'd expect a grinding rushing attack to be the focus of the offense for us, given our talent and depth at RB and OL. OP's comment about A&M's linebackers just reinforces that a bit more.

Running the ball has worked very well for us in the past against up-tempo high-flying offenses. I'd expect more of the same. It's not that our offense can't put up lots of points by passing all over but that it may be in the best interest of the game plan to slow things down.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #15
CockyCody
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 381
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

I am surprised that more of us, Cocks, aren't wanting to crow a little bit more. I know it is the 1st game but our offense should be legit! Sure, we have some questions on D, but does A&M have any answers on theirs? Their D was awful last year(ranked somewhere in the mid 70's I think). I feel good about us winning!!

CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #16
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxQAg View Post
Just overall matchup breakdown as my Aggie eyes see it. Very interested in you folks' perspective on each unit.

A&M D-Line vs. USC O-Line: Advantage USC
A&M cline is bigger and has more depth than last year. The young guys that played a bunch last year have put on significant weight. They are young but I expect significant improvement from a year ago. However, the USC O-line is good and has some experience.

A&M Backers vs. USC Backs/TE: Large Advantage USC
Our backers are the weakest part of the defense. Although, I expect significant improvements with this unit, they were so bad last year that significant improvements will just bring us up to bad this year. We have improved depth here also, but loosing Darian Claiborne will hurt us here more than loosing Golden will hurt our line. We have guys to backfill this year but they are not proven.
On paper, we have a large advantage in both categories. Our OL should be one of the best in the SEC this year, and your DL was decimated by arrests and players kicked off your team.

Sounds like your D will be bringing 8 guys into the box to try to stop the running game. That means that DT is going to have a big game. He is very good at throwing the long ball. Oh, and the USC receivers are small but fast and quick, which is a nightmare for your largish cornerbacks.

At least on paper ... you still have to actually play the game so I could be way off.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #17
Cockdude81sc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockdude81sc has feathers coming inCockdude81sc has feathers coming inCockdude81sc has feathers coming in
Wink Re: An Aggies View of the Matchups for First Game

Yes, Dylan Thompson has a decent amount of playing time and several meaningful starts/appearances under his belt.

Also if your team wears orange then Dylan Thompson will magically become an effective dual threat QB.
Cockdude81sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #18
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talons

A&M will certainly have a great oline!
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

We need to tell Dylan they're Clemson in new uniforms.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM   #20
Rooster'srule
4-Star

Male

Rooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talonsRooster'srule has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
I am surprised that more of us, Cocks, aren't wanting to crow a little bit more. I know it is the 1st game but our offense should be legit! Sure, we have some questions on D, but does A&M have any answers on theirs? Their D was awful last year(ranked somewhere in the mid 70's I think). I feel good about us winning!!

Cock a doodle doo this is going to be a barn burner for Carolina. 34 ta 10 type of game!
Rooster'srule is online now   Reply With Quote