CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Eug Cock
Goofyboy
HailPharoh
JerseyBird
CarolinaBand
Latt7more
b381l
bigdawg77
gamecox3
boowilliam4
Why the hesitance to (1401)
2014 Charleston Clas (1079)
Should UNC get death (877)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (677)
BJ Mckie (606)
Getting Back on Trac (458)
Could Pharoh Run the (443)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (419)
Cocky cloth towels (409)
Big George Statue (403)
2014 Charleston Classic *
How many??
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
Cocky cloth towels
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Womens Soccer NCAA Tourna
Fan bias toward a specifi
Why the hesitance to put
Lineup Changes (Offense)
2015 Defensive Line

Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material
Default SEC Football as World Cup Teams

A local sportscaster made this analogy this moring and I thought I would have some fun with it and take it one step further.

So, for SEC Football fans that do not follow World Cup Soccer, here is how the World Cup compares to the SEC Football programs. So, World Cup Teams as SEC Football Teams. Here we go:

Germany: They are the Alabama of the World Cup. They are meticulous, have great athletes but generally have a hard nose coach who pushes his team at every turn. Always a contender, their fans think they are simply better in every way from everyone else.

Brazil: They are the LSU of the World Cup. They have a flare for the game. They are somewhat unpredictable, in that they can be great, and then not so great. Their coaches are typically unconventional, and their fans are lunatics.

England: They are the Georgia of the World Cup. They are always good, have good players, good coaches, but somehow always underwhelm on the biggest stage. Their fans are delusional that they should win every World Cup.

Portugal: They are the Florida of the World Cup. They have had great success in the past, they have maybe the best player in the world, but their supporting cast seems to underperfom. They have as good of talent as anyone, but you never know when it is going to show up. Their team culture is discombobulated, when they are hot, they can beat anybody.

Argentina: Is the Texas A&M of the World Cup. They have one of the most exciting players in the world in Messi. They are well coached, but they do not come first to mind when you think of a contender. They somewhat live in the shadow of the other powerhouse in South America in Brazil.

United States: Unfortunately we are the Kentucky of the World Cup. We excel in other sports (Basketball), but can not compete globally in this sport (soccer). We are an underdog in almost every game we play, we don't have the talent of our peers, but we can put a scare into anyone. We have a tendency to beat a team here and there we are not supposed to. Our expectations always seem to exceed our ability to win on a consistent basis.

Belgium: They are the South Carolina of the World Cup. They are underappreciated and overlooked in the crowded Europe landscape. They have not had much history of success, but they are very good right now. They have a very workman like attitude, and just find a way to win. They are a better team than they are individually. Will fly under the radar of the tournament, but would not really suprise if they could get to the final.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC Football as World Cup Teams

I would make Bama Brazil just because of their winning history.

Also believe Italy and Spain needs to be mentioned somewhere

Also regarding Belgium, I would say they are better individually then they are as a team, they have a number of very good players.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Double post
Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I disagree with the USA being Kentucky. We consistently make the World Cup which is like being ranked top 20 in football and make the round of 16, which is like making the BCS bowls or at least a New Year's Day bowl.

I never get why USA soccer gets crushed as being awful yet in reality they are top 20 in the world over the last 12-20 years.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Auburn's Italy, we've got a long history of sketchyness, lol.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I disagree with the USA being Kentucky. We consistently make the World Cup which is like being ranked top 20 in football and make the round of 16, which is like making the BCS bowls or at least a New Year's Day bowl.

I never get why USA soccer gets crushed as being awful yet in reality they are top 20 in the world over the last 12-20 years.
I don't think of it that way.

The World Cup is not the top 32 teams in the world it's the teams that qualified.
For example a team like Sweden didn't make it this year, they were in the same group as Germany and then drew Portugal in the playoff (lost)

They are certainly better than a lot of teams in the field.

Also look at the teams we play against in qualifying compared to Europe, South America and maybe even Africa or Asia.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I don't think of it that way.

The World Cup is not the top 32 teams in the world it's the teams that qualified.
For example a team like Sweden didn't make it this year, they were in the same group as Germany and then drew Portugal in the playoff (lost)

They are certainly better than a lot of teams in the field.

Also look at the teams we play against in qualifying compared to Europe, South America and maybe even Africa or Asia.
May be that would be true, if the USA wasn't able to hold their own in the World Cup, but that's not the case. We may not be the elite but we are not some bottom feeder either. Kentucky is not a top 25 team consistently and at times finishes the year in the top 10. American soccer competes with most countries and isn't over matched.

In my opinion, America gets overly criticized by the soccer world, because they get dominated by the US in most sports and want to keep the opinion of America low in soccer. The worst thing that could happen, in foreign soccer fans minds, is for the US to win the World Cup or to ever become a consistent finalist contender. They want it as their game and don't want America taking it over, like we do in most other sports.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 765832
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Auburn's Italy, we've got a long history of sketchyness, lol.
Agreed!!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

I thought the comparison wasn't good at all. I would compare Alabama to Brazil.

Portugal and Florida is a horrible comparison. Portugal is a recent success due to Ronaldo. Florida has been successful for a long time. Portugal have never won anything even though they have gone far in the Euros. I would say A&M and Portugal are a much better comparison - Portugal now plays with the big boys, have won nothing, and the comparison to Manziel to Ronaldo is fair (both in ego and talent).

Argentina is more like LSU - abundance of talent, some success, but a bit Jekyll and Hyde.

England and Georgia comparison is a good one. So is Belgium and South Carolina - great talent, some very good seasons, but no championships - yet.

Florida and Germany may be a better comparison. Florida always has a good defense and are fundamentally sound. It's been a number of years since Germany won any title - 1996, the same year UF won the national title. Florida is fundamentally sound but Germany's style of play is much more exciting. I'm not sure there is a good comparison to Germany. Possibly Auburn.

USA is a tough one. I'm not sure there is a good comparison. Maybe Missouri? An up and coming team with talent but still trying to prove themselves with the big boys.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
jcausc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 312
jcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spurs

I see USA as a Mississippi State
Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #11
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

I think the comparison to Kentucky in the means of "it isn't our number one sport" is spot on.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/articl...75/1291/sports
Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
TheUniversityofSC
NSA Agent

Male

TheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

Everyone hates America.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Even though it's a Tuscaloser paper, me likey.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #15
HelleraisingCock
Team Optimist

Male

CockyCash: 1006100
HelleraisingCock has earned his spursHelleraisingCock has earned his spursHelleraisingCock has earned his spursHelleraisingCock has earned his spursHelleraisingCock has earned his spursHelleraisingCock has earned his spurs

Quote:
May be that would be true, if the USA wasn't able to hold their own in the World Cup, but that's not the case. We may not be the elite but we are not some bottom feeder either. Kentucky is not a top 25 team consistently and at times finishes the year in the top 10. American soccer competes with most countries and isn't over matched.

In my opinion, America gets overly criticized by the soccer world, because they get dominated by the US in most sports and want to keep the opinion of America low in soccer. The worst thing that could happen, in foreign soccer fans minds, is for the US to win the World Cup or to ever become a consistent finalist contender. They want it as their game and don't want America taking it over, like we do in most other sports.
They can have Cricket.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
gamecocknva
Blue Chip

gamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPitgamecocknva rules the CockPit

And here's your Clemson comparison.

Uruguay: Is this where all those hippies committed suicide? Anyway, Uruguay won a fluke World Cup ages ago, and they've been trying to recapture the moment ever since, thus making them the Clemson of South America. Why does Uruguay even exist? Look at the map. It's Brazil's toenail.
http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-hat...cup-1588867715
gamecocknva is offline   Reply With Quote