CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
gadeneer1986
PageUSC
SCohioBoy
ACPhilson
The Yancey
KaneisAble
l^l^lBGCock
HBC Weekly Presser (2241)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (1133)
4th & 1 Play (1078)
Kentucky prediction (866)
Just Booked my Hotel (831)
So What? (524)
Bad Week For Upstate (391)
Jeopardy: USC and th (329)
Travis Bell's Photos (269)
Best position coach (262)
QB Recruiting Strategy
So What?
400 pasing yards
Kentucky prediction
4th & 1 Play
What fish do you eat
Cleaned up version: SEC E
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Best position coach or co
Really excited to visit t

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Successful Spurrier QBs? Not just at Carolina.

I thought about putting this in the cockpit, but then I thought it would be better to put it in the locker room.

Anyway, I regularly see people talk about how Spurrier is a QB "guru" and how his presence should attract a lot of big-time players or how a QB who has learned under Spurrier should be considered an attractive prospect at the next level.

I'm honestly not saying it's not true, but I just don't know where it's coming from. Who have been successful QBs who have been considered Spurrier guys? And when you talk about success, does it mean only in college or college and pro?

I can only think of one off the top of my head who has had any success at the professional level, and even it was limited, and that's Rex Grossman. So please help me out. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002
Default Re: Successful Spurrier QBs? Not just at Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I thought about putting this in the cockpit, but then I thought it would be better to put it in the locker room.

Anyway, I regularly see people talk about how Spurrier is a QB "guru" and how his presence should attract a lot of big-time players or how a QB who has learned under Spurrier should be considered an attractive prospect at the next level.

I'm honestly not saying it's not true, but I just don't know where it's coming from. Who have been successful QBs who have been considered Spurrier guys? And when you talk about success, does it mean only in college or college and pro?

I can only think of one off the top of my head who has had any success at the professional level, and even it was limited, and that's Rex Grossman. So please help me out. Thanks.
One of the big knocks on Spurrier QB's has been the lack of success on the pro level, but he has had many QB's who have had success in college, most notably Danny Wuerffel (won the Heisman) and Rex Grossman (finished 2nd in the Heisman voting).
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Hard to say that on a collegiate level he has not had successful QB's once he got his guys in place.

From a pro perspective, the same can be said of many college coaches if you think about it. Does Nick Saban have a QB in the league that is doing well? Does Urban Meyer? You could argue Pete Carroll's guys do ok counting Carson Palmer and parts of Matt Leinart's career, but then you throw in the ups and downs (butt fumbles) of Mark Sanchez and would you say that was anywhere on par with their collegiate performances?

In fact, I am trying to think of the most successful pro QB's and trace their performance back to a common college approach. Lloyd Carr may be able to take credit for Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese and maybe Ryan Mallett? If Aaron Murray does well, maybe Mark Richt also counting Matt Stafford??

I guess I'd say you would have to credit Lloyd Carr. He has a superstar, one of the best ever to play in Brady, a guy who holds his own in Henne and a pro that played for many teams in addition to a high potential guy in Mallett. Other than that, I seriously can't think of a college coach with high success actually had QB's that translated well to the pros with any frequency.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I am ambivalent about his QBs' success in the pro's. He has plenty that were very successful in college, which is the only level I really care about. He finds great QBs for his needs and the team's need.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Terry Dean, lol.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:

Shane Matthews was an undersized 14 year back-up in the League, I know it's a back up but for that long when you don't have the size of an NFL QB, I would consider that successful. I think Wuerffel would've been fine if he was taller too.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
I am ambivalent about his QBs' success in the pro's. He has plenty that were very successful in college, which is the only level I really care about. He finds great QBs for his needs and the team's need.
Agreed. I don't think anyone is really calling him a qb guru though. He once was a creative offensive guru in his earlier coaching days, but I don't think he was ever really considered a qb guru alone.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote