CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Acockolypse Now
Ericvol2096
qcgamecock
Jbsc88
OnTheRight
Regalcock
GapoGamecock51
DontTreadOnMe
Frosty
Jim Lahey
I think my dog is pa (636)
The Basketball Tourn (254)
Mopars and Miami Vic (85)
2017 (WBB) Kameron Roach
5 stars
Most important position i
The 2015 NASCAR Season
Seats for Clemmy game
Carolina Road Games Quest
Job Openings for Ticket S
Preseason top 25 polls re
Fantasy Football League I
Premier League 2015-2016

Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit
Default Mens basketball 2016

We have all the pieces to win 22-24 games and make the NCAA tournament...I seriously believe that will happen..CFM added some serious talent and depth this off season
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
picknroll
Banned

Male

picknroll has feathers coming inpicknroll has feathers coming in
Default Re: Mens basketball 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
We have all the pieces to win 22-24 games and make the NCAA tournament...I seriously believe that will happen..CFM added some serious talent and depth this off season
I happen to agree with you. I have always thought - and statistical analysis bares this out - that basketball is an inside/out sport. The team who wins at the rim usually wins the game. This recruiting class does not mean that we can win at the rim this coming season, but we might be able to hold serve most of the time. The way this class does help us this season is that Dozier, Silva, and Gregory are three players who shorten the floor for us. Silva, especially, runs under a 5 minute mile and ran the 100 meters for his HS track team. But all three of those guys can fly downcourt in transition and I seriously doubt if we'll be pulling up and setting the offense as often - we'll score in transition a lot more. Since we're already solid defensively in transition and were already a .500 + team, to have one complete aspect of play be demonstrably improved should result in more than just marginal improvement, especially when you take into account that Thornwell is healthy and will benefit tremendously from a more solid frontcourt and some other scoring help and that for the first time in I can't remember we have a solid group of seniors to anchor this bunch. So I think 21+ wins are on the way trending upward over the next few seasons.

That is why I think Martin's contract should be extended out a year or two now because after next season he very likely will be a hot commodity. Why not show him some loyalty now and put ourselves in good position to renegotiate his contract once his success comes to fruition. In my opinion, he's one of the best coaches in the Nation and we need to keep him right here.
picknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2833533
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Two things I am excited about this fall is our football defense and this basketball team with our returning starters and the incoming talent.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
We have improved our depth, size, height and we will some good experienced players returning. I have no idea how many games we will win but we should be a much better team. I really look forward to the season in both men and women's basketball. I think our basketball programs will be better than our football and baseball programs this coming school year.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
doubledribble
I'll be right back.

Male

CockyCash: 200
doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
We have improved our depth, size, height and we will some good experienced players returning. I have no idea how many games we will win but we should be a much better team. I really look forward to the season in both men and women's basketball. I think our basketball programs will be better than our football and baseball programs this coming school year.
Do you think the shooting gets better with the added depth in the post and having healthy players?
doubledribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #6
sosfan812
Game MVP

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
Do you think the shooting gets better with the added depth in the post and having healthy players?
I think the shooting gets better due to both issue's.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
doubledribble
I'll be right back.

Male

doubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot materialdoubledribble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I think the shooting gets better due to both issue's.
I do also, but Spur has been a big advocate of landing some shooters. I was wondering because he's a good poster and even though we've disagreed in the past, I enjoy his perspective!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spursSpur20001 has earned his spurs

Quote:
As you know I have been critical of our shooting woes and still wish we had a great outside shooter but yes our shooting should be much improved with better post depth and play and no doubt, staying healthy is the key to our success.

I was very impressed with the way we finished the season. I think Martin has us in the position now to be a very good team. You have said all along Martin was the man for the job and this is starting to show with improved play and recruiting.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
CockyDevil
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 478
CockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPitCockyDevil rules the CockPit

I'm always leary about the NCAA tourney being a given for any team.
CockyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
No because we didn't add any shooters to a non shooting team. Dozier is the only 1 coming in that is a decent shooter potentially.

We will still struggle to score.

Yea playing the game from the inside out works if you actually have guys that can hit 3's consistently and spread the floor. Otherwise the paint is just clogged up. The way the NBA is played now is a spacing, pick n roll and 3 point shooting league. Traditional big men are basically irrelevant now.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

AmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPitAmonRa777 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
No because we didn't add any shooters to a non shooting team. Dozier is the only 1 coming in that is a decent shooter potentially.

Yea playing the game from the inside out works if you actually have guys that can hit 3's consistently and spread the floor. Otherwise the paint is just clogged up. The way the NBA is played now is a spacing, pick n roll and 3 point shooting league. Traditional big men are basically irrelevant now.
The idea this team will still struggle to score is nonsense...With the talent length, speed and depth, the scoring per game per game will jump 10-15 points easily...This team will be able to turn the great defense into more offense via transition...This idea that you have to knock down 12-15 threes per game is just silly...Rebounds, steals, blocked shots along with great ball pressure can translate to more points than 3 point shooting...

This is the very reason CFM is recruiting long fast explosive athletes at every position...This team will be focused on defense, transition, enough outside shooting and several talented slashers that can get to the hoop and score...No one player will have to light it up each night for this team to score...They will all play hard on defense and CFM will play the hot hands each night..

With Dozier, Silva, Doby, Gregory and Blanton this squad has some additional explosiveness like USC fans have rarely seen...IMHO this team will compete mightily in the SEC and make the NCAA tournament

PS.... You don't have to shoot 3s to space the floor... shoot the 18 footers well and get 10-16 points i n transition
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
The idea this team will still struggle to score is nonsense...With the talent length, speed and depth, the scoring per game per game will jump 10-15 points easily...This team will be able to turn the great defense into more offense via transition...This idea that you have to knock down 12-15 threes per game is just silly...Rebounds, steals, blocked shots along with great ball pressure can translate to more points than 3 point shooting...

This is the very reason CFM is recruiting long fast explosive athletes at every position...This team will be focused on defense, transition, enough outside shooting and several talented slashers that can get to the hoop and score...No one player will have to light it up each night for this team to score...They will all play hard on defense and CFM will play the hot hands each night..

With Dozier, Silva, Doby, Gregory and Blanton this squad has some additional explosiveness like USC fans have rarely seen...IMHO this team will compete mightily in the SEC and make the NCAA tournament

PS.... You don't have to shoot 3s to space the floor... shoot the 18 footers well and get 10-16 points i n transition
Lol ok. It's not nonsense. The team struggled last year bc of no shooters and no one that can get a basket 1 on 1 when you need it. That won't change.

Yea recruiting athletes who are fast and long are good but you have to score. That's Martin's flaw in recruiting.

P.S. An 18 footer is the worst shot in basketball analytically.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #13
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Lol ok. It's not nonsense. The team struggled last year bc of no shooters and no one that can get a basket 1 on 1 when you need it. That won't change.

Yea recruiting athletes who are fast and long are good but you have to score. That's Martin's flaw in recruiting.

We had no depth last season...They shot the 3 well early in the season...After the injuries knocked the roster down to 6 players they couldn't throw it in the ocean most nights..No one makes shots after the legs turn to rubber no matter how many shooters you have...Golden State crushed Cleveland because they had a lot more depth and made shots in the fourth quarter...The Cavs made shots early in games and missed late after the Warriors had run their legs out...

I understand gloom and doom is the way of many fans...But some of the fans are so superficial in their analysis they can't see the forest for the trees..

Finally, the best shots are the ones you make...Don't believe it....just watch any game
Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #14
Eug Cock
Old Dixie Youth

Male

Eug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming inEug Cock has feathers coming in

I feel good about this season IF WE CAN STAY HEALTHY.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #15
AmonRa777
Blue Chip

Male

Great article with CFM on GCentral by Scott Hood...Here is a little sample:

You have to have size in the SEC. Kentucky and Florida, the two teams that have been dominating this league consistently, have size. They have the ability to get on the glass, post up and protect the rim. They just beat on you. If you have one big kid, you can hold the fort for several minutes, but once you put your subs in, they do the same and beat you up with their size off the bench."

Cobb and Doby are set to arrive on campus later this week for the second semester of summer school.

Acclaimed freshman P.J. Dozier has officially joined the Gamecock program. Another freshman, heralded local product P.J. Dozier, has quickly learned the realities of major college basketball during summer workouts, Martin said.

"He came into the weight room and he and the garbage can became best friends that first week," Martin said. "Every time I turned around, his head was inside of it. But he is such a talented human being, as a person, teammate and, obviously, as a player."

Dozier shined in the McDonald's All-American game in early April, scoring 14 points on 6-of-11 shooting, including 2-of-3 from 3-point range, and grabbed four rebounds in 20 minutes of action.

Dozier and Chris Silva both attended the first session of summer school and participated in individual and team workouts.

While describing USC's 2015-16 signing class as "the most talented we have recruited," Martin prefers a steady approach preparing Dozier for the rigors of the SEC, and likely won't be drawn into playing the Spring Valley product too quickly.

"Fans and the media love freshmen, coaches love upperclassmen," Martin exclaimed. "It doesn't mean we dislike the freshmen. We think those guys are going to be great. Every year, our coaching staff identifies what we need and they go out and find the personalities that fit who we are. They have done it again."
Old 06-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #16
doubledribble
I'll be right back.

Male

Quote:

OMG the Gamecocks are my favorite NBA team!!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
doubledribble
I'll be right back.

Male

Quote:

Dude you come on here all the time and post this but completely ignore the fact that we had no post game and injured guards. Just stop.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPitrrsandersjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Dude you come on here all the time and post this but completely ignore the fact that we had no post game and injured guards. Just stop.
Agree! I remember playing at Florida and Arkansas soon after the suspensions and injuries last year and L Chat had to play more mins. He could barely make it up and down the court. Their bigs had a field day against a shallow bench. Normally, Coach would be chewing him out but he knew that L Chat was giving him all that he had. This year, barring injuries, all of the bigs and guards should get ample rest and along with it fresher legs. Have you ever tried to shoot a 3 flat footed? That's what shooting a shot with dead legs is akin to. Simply put, fresh legs make better shooters, defenders, rebounders and decision makers and that equals, you guessed it, a better team.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
doubledribble
I'll be right back.

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
Agree! I remember playing at Florida and Arkansas soon after the suspensions and injuries last year and L Chat had to play more mins. He could barely make it up and down the court. Their bigs had a field day against a shallow bench. Normally, Coach would be chewing him out but he knew that L Chat was giving him all that he had. This year, barring injuries, all of the bigs and guards should get ample rest and along with it fresher legs. Have you ever tried to shoot a 3 flat footed? That's what shooting a shot with dead legs is akin to. Simply put, fresh legs make better shooters, defenders, rebounders and decision makers and that equals, you guessed it, a better team.
T-Well having severe tendinitis in both knees, Stroman with a throat infection, McKies concussions (plural), Notice mono, Shepard and Henry suspended, Carerra concussion, Blanton out for year, Sheppard knee, Steele knee...Am I missing anything?

But the NBA doesn't utilize traditional big men anymore so when we are out playing the Bulls and the Cavs this season we are really screwed
Old 06-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #20
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1000022205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

There are a few reasons we'll shoot better......Sid was hurt last year.....this year, he will be healthy and not only will he shoot better, he will find openings in the the defense to pass to others....plus, PJ is one of the best passing guards in the country and he will find the open guys much better than we've had in the past. Our defense will be much better and longer, this will create many more fast break points for us. I think we will average 7-10 more points per game this year and that translates to 7-10 more wins. I'm looking for Sid to really step it up this year with his leadership role and this will translate to more team confidence.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote