CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
KaneisAble
QCB
doubledribble
markp_vip
ReadR00ster
Roosterboy
Jmansour333
The Yancey
pitchcock
Busta out indefinite (2216)
SOS says his next st (1828)
Our Defense? (1183)
CBSSports SEC predic (917)
CFN prediction for a (451)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (425)
MMA: Holeve (Down Sy (363)
SEC Football Legend: (361)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (357)
Our Defense?
2016 Thon Marker
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Does South Carolina still
Roll call for Auburn
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rest of the season predic
Fight, win, kick a-- addi

Old 09-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons...

…for 3 weeks for remarks he made regarding Roger Goodell. I’ve read other stories that say he was suspended for basically daring the network to suspend him. I listened to the podcast where the “rant” occurred and although some of what he said was inflammatory, it was said in a joking manner.

Some people cannot stand the guy. I like him (most of the time) and enjoy Grantland and his 30 for 30 docs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...-nfl-and-espn/
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
l^l^lBGCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
l^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPit
Default Re: ESPN Suspends Bill Simmons...

What type of connection do the two entities have besides broadcasting/giving content? why does what he say effect espn and the NFL?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

I love his stuff, but at the same time he's one of the biggest drivers of the political agenda that espn has. It doesn't shock me what he said and it doesn't shock me that he was suspended. It's what he does
Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by l^l^lBGCock View Post
What type of connection do the two entities have besides broadcasting/giving content? why does what he say effect espn and the NFL?
He works for ESPN.

I also love him. Grantland is great.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Love Grantland, but I rarely read/watch his content. Not upset about this at all.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Love Grantland, but I rarely read/watch his content. Not upset about this at all.

Same. I listen to his pod during football season when he guess the lines with Cousin Sal. The pods when he has Klosterman on are really good.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

I like him with Jalen for the NBA's coverage.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

I think they are saying he was suspended for his language... Are they allowed to curse in podcasts? Never listen to them.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

So for those of us that don't know, this just bad language?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
l^l^lBGCock
4-Star

Male

l^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPitl^l^lBGCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
He works for ESPN.

I also love him. Grantland is great.
Yes, I know. but why was he suspended for saying something about the NFL?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
I think they are saying he was suspended for his language... Are they allowed to curse in podcasts? Never listen to them.

Yeah there swear on pods. They used to not bleep them out but now they do.

It's kind of a running joke on Grantland that the producer has to "keep his finger on the button"
Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I loved that he dared ESPN to suspend him! It takes a set of large huevos to do that. They called him on it, which I felt they would.

Well played, sir.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

This is a joke. Simmons clearly wanted to be suspended and help his ratings. ESPN should have just ignored it and no one except his relatively limited audience would have known about it. Instead, they make it a big deal.

I like the point they made on Deadspin though that Stephen A gets two weeks for saying Ray Rice's wife played a big role in him knocking her out and Simmons says this and gets 3.

If the NFL wasn't so good awful and tone deaf with their PR I would say ESPN had them beat, but fortunate for ESPN, the NFL and NCAA will always be much more incompetent with public relations.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #14
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Love Grantland, but Simmons comes across as a dope, and isn't a particularly good interviewer.

This isn't a martyr situation. Hope he enjoys the 3 week vacay.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

I like his 30 for 30 series but why waste time calling out Goodell, who won't get fired? Talk shit about the guys that beat their wives and kids.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
Gamecockman12
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming inGamecockman12 has feathers coming in

Not a big fan of Simmons at all, so this doesn't really bother me all that much.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by l^l^lBGCock View Post
a 15 billion dollar Monday Night Football contract. Others have called for Goddell's resignation but none have out and out called him out. This is the third suspension of Simmons by ESPN. He had no substantiated facts to back up calling Goddell a liar. And yes he dared ESPN to suspend him. I think he is awesome but you can't call people liars without backing it up. Especially a business partner of your employers.
Quote:
But was what Simmons said really deserving of a suspension? He used profanities multiple times while passionately saying that Goodell was lying over what he knew about the Ray Rice domestic violence case. “Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar, “Simmons said. “I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such [expletive expletive]. It really is, it’s such [expletive expletive]. For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise — I was so insulted.”

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said in a dare to his bosses. “Because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast … Please, call me and say I’m in trouble. I dare you.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...really-saying/
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

This was the NFL flexing its might on Disney. This is not the first time either. Playmakers was a big time show for them. 1 season and it was gone because of the NFL. All that money invested in the report with Frontline in a deep investigation about psychological effects of the NFL. All the sudden ESPN pulled out of it and put an end to it. The Rothesberger civil suit ESPN putting a do not report order on. Even if NFL does not overtly threaten ESPN the bottom line is the ESPN has to acquiesce because NFL contracts are so rich and every broadcaster wants them. ESPN has to keep them.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #19
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Same. I listen to his pod during football season when he guess the lines with Cousin Sal. The pods when he has Klosterman on are really good.
I'm a big fan of Klosterman, both on Grantland and elsewhere. As a baseball stat nerd, Jonah Keri is good too. College basketball guys there are solid too, even if one of them is an Ohio State guy and another is a Duke guy.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote