CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
WeStillOwnUSC
gamecockgal
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
SC Sandlapper
eklypised
USCNowAndForever
highstick
GarnetSwarm1990
Interesting quotes f (1919)
Have you ever been s (1166)
Tennessee Offense Br (768)
Key for 2015 defense (603)
Women's Team Ranked (455)
This season and recr (411)
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTIN (378)
Skai Moore out for U (359)
Lebron makes Clevela (311)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (206)
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
Key for 2015 defense
Interesting quotes from D
Gamecockology Helms
Uniforms for Tenn
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Have you ever been so wro
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014

Old 09-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default RB Recruiting (2015 and 2016)

Looking at our current RB's we have:

Mike Davis- JR
Brandon Wilds- RS JR
Shon Carson- RS JR
David Williams- RS FR

I know Mike Davis is going to declare and that Brandon Wilds has "considered the option" of going. Shon Carson is a wild card, does he play baseball or does he stay etc. I don't think this is going to happen but we could lose our top 3 RB's from this years team after this season, only leaving David Williams. That is scary, from a depth stand point. I do know we have Jamari Smith, who IMHO should be moved back to RB.

I know we have two RB's committed right now:

Mon Denson
A.J Turner

How good are they, what are their running styles etc.? Because if I had to bet, I would think we lose at least 2 of the 3 from our current team forcing us to play at least one of these guys early.

Also just looking ahead, what does the 2016 RB recruiting look like? Any standout guys we are after etc?
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: RB Recruiting (2015 and 2016)

Mon Denson looks pretty good. He isn't going to wow you with athleticism but he looks like serviceable.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I also know for 2016 that we need to get Tavean Feaster but I think Clemson is a factor with him. Let's hope we land him.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I also know for 2016 that we need to get Tavean Feaster but I think Clemson is a factor with him. Let's hope we land him.
Very heavy Clemson lean. If we get him it would be a big surprise.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Spurrier doesn't need a running back. 5 wide all season.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Spurrier doesn't need a running back. 5 wide all season.
Jeesh. Were effed then
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
Rex123
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Rex123 is learning to peckRex123 is learning to peck

Tavian Feaster is a Clemson lock.
Rex123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:32 AM   #8
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Mon Denson looks pretty good. He isn't going to wow you with athleticism but he looks like serviceable.
Exciting stuff.

Wilds would be insane to leave early. He's good, but he's not done anything that would warrant being drafted. (And I love Wilds and think he's got a bad rap post A&M game.)

Davis is gone, Carson is not a long term solution. We have no idea what we have in David Williams. And while I'm happy we have Denson and Turner on board, it would be nice to land an elite 4-5 star RB in 2015 AND 2016. And as of now, I don't think either qualifies as a game-changer a la Marcus, Davis, Chubb, etc. (And I am the first to say I hope I am wrong and either or both are the best to ever play here.)
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #9
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

We need to sign a legit RB like yesterday. We are gonna be hurting there IMO
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
We need to sign a legit RB like yesterday. We are gonna be hurting there IMO
Wilds was rated a low 3-star back out if high school, and he has proven to be a darn good RB (at least in my opinion). Turner and Denson are both high 3-stars with a chance to be 4 by the year's end. Definitely way too early to say these two guys won't be legit top-end backs.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
Wilds was rated a low 3-star back out if high school, and he has proven to be a darn good RB (at least in my opinion). Turner and Denson are both high 3-stars with a chance to be 4 by the year's end. Definitely way too early to say these two guys won't be legit top-end backs.
Just don't see Brandon leaving.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Very heavy Clemson lean. If we get him it would be a big surprise.
Don't know if he's a lean anywhere right now. He was recently quoted as saying he is taking his time. I think he enjoys the process. Clemson and I think FSU or Auburn were the ones recruiting him the hardest. I'll try and find where I read that. Still wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a clemmons tiger.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
It is too early and I, for one, don't mean to be negative about recruits who just started their senior seasons. I'm intrigued by Denson because his size seems to be the most suited for SEC play and he very well could end up being a 4-star a la Davis (as could Turner, obviously). It would just be nice to be in the mix on a Lattimore/Chubb type (which I know do not grow on trees).
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
We are gonna have to stop hoping for our 3 stars to play like 5 stars and sign some real top talent at skill positions eventually if we ever want to take the next step
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #15
cockthehammer
Blue Chip

Male

cockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervouscockthehammer is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
We are gonna have to stop hoping for our 3 stars to play like 5 stars and sign some real top talent at skill positions eventually if we ever want to take the next step
I agree with this wholeheartedly! USC has proven it's worth, you CAN win here! No reason not to go after more Alshon, Marcus & Clowney types. Yes, I know they were all SC kids, but right now according to Rivals, we have verbals from 4-star players from seven different states. The USC brand is expanding it's reach. Most of those verbals are from positions other than DT, RB & WR, which in my view is where we are hurting.
cockthehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Mon Denson will play at 220 or more and is faster than any back we have on the team other than Williams......he is close to Nick Chubb. Huge upside. No way we're getting Feaster according to most.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:35 AM   #17
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
the reason Mon was rated 3* was because the rating was at LB since most schools were looking for him to play there....he's only 5'11" so that hurt him.....we were the ones that wanted him to play RB....his offense played a spread last year, so he didn't get that many carries.......coach changed the offense this year to make him the featured back.....he should get a new rating sometime this fall which most think he will go to a four star. Read his thread.....lots of good info there....elcid thinks he's going to be great.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

The answer was Nick Chubb. Really wish we had tried harder there

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I know he's already made up his mind, but Davis shouldn't leave early. RBs are not a premium in the NFL anymore, and most teams feel they can pick up a value back in the 3rd to 6th rounds. With the talent coming out this year Davis would be a 3rd to 5th round choice at best. Wilds would be an UFA, regardless of what he does at the combine.

These guys need to stop getting bad advice.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

These guys need to stop getting bad advice.
And our coaches need to start "re-recruiting" our guys. I respect HBC for not being like some other coach in this state who puts the program ahead of its players and potentially cost those players millions of dollars; however, there is a difference between being a man of principle and being borderline apathetic when it comes to our juniors.

I think in some ways it's just as bad to hold a guy back as it is to let guys make dumb decisions and leave too early.

Granted, I don't have an ounce of hard evidence to support my suspicions, but our program has made it clear that we don't stand in a guy's way when he wants out. I think that has cost our team and cost guys on the pro level (especially this year).
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote