CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
b381l
JaxcockFL
Travelin
Acockolypse Now
SC Sandlapper
JerseyBird
Gamecock Lifer
gocockswyn
Garnetnblack99
Very telling in rega (2156)
The History Channel (1566)
Are we looking to br (1200)
Four-star LB Leo Lew (474)
**USC vs. Georgia GA (278)
Going to my first ga (273)
Patrick reed is my l (266)
Marcus Lattimore on (261)
Nick Offerman NASCAR (180)
Bacon Prices Are Fal (156)
Very telling in regards t
How underrated was Brison
2016 - Chauncey Manac
2015 Commitment - Damon A
Ray Tanner favorited one
Marcus Lattimore on Life
Jon Hoke to South Carolin
**USC vs. Georgia GAME Th
Going to my first game at
Four-star LB Leo Lewis de

Old 01-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default 2015 X Factors

Not talking about the most talented but I am talking about the guys who could step up and fill voids and help take it to the next level.

1) Chaz Elder- He was a 4 star All American out of HS with a who's who offer list. He had a very promising season last year but this season something seemed to happen and it was like the light never came back on for him. If he can get back to how he played in the 2014 season, I think he could lock down one of the safety spots and he has all the physical tools to do so.

2) Brock Stadnik/DJ Park- Again, 2 4 star All Americans coming out HS and have yet to play a significant amount and make the most of it. With Cann and Robinson gone playing time will be available on the Offensive line and we all know when you have a good Offensive line you have a chance to win in this league. Hopefully these two guys can lock down the guard spots or provide solid competition and make Elliot feel good enough inside without Matulis so he could go and fill the void left by Robinson. Reminder, Matulis was a freshmen All American or all conference I believe his Freshmen year at tackle before he got hurt.

3) Another WR- I don't know who this could be because there are so many viable options but I do believe that between Samuel, Googer, Davidson, Christian, Neal, Owens, Jeffery, and Brent one or two of those guys can step up and give us a solid #2 option besides Pharoh Cooper and Jerrell Adams at TE. I really believe a legitimate #2 and #3 option at WR, with the guys we know what to expect from (Cooper, Adams, Wilds, Carson, Williams) that it will make the job significantly easier on the QB and just allow him to be a game manager.

I didn't want to name weaknesses but guys who if they could play to their potential would really help this team out. Plus just trying to bring some positivity onto the board.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2015 X Factors

You have to look at our question mark spots next year:

1) Mason Zandi - Its time. He has been Shawn Elliott's big project for going on 3 years now. Its time to find out what he can do. Whether it be at LT or RT. We have got to see what he can do. He alone might be the single most important player on the offense outside of the QB spot. If he comes into his own at LT, we can keep Shell at RT, and fill in the rest with the plethora of interior linemen we have. If he doesn't play well then we are in a mix in match situation.

2) DJ Smith - We got a glimpse of what he can do this year but he should be ready to take over the Safety spot next to Gurley. We are pretty set at corner with McWilliams and Lammons but we have got to get better at Safety and I think he is going to be a big part of the equation.

3) Any of the returning and incoming wide receivers - For all the questions we have about who is going to throw the ball, the bigger question is who is going to catch it outside of Pharoh Cooper. We have a nice looking group of prospects but a lot of them don't have any experience: Brent, Jeffery, Whitehurst, and Belton are the older guys. Then there is nothing but youth with Samuel, Davidson, Googer, Neal, Christian, Washington, and Owens. This Spring is a HUGE for most of these players.

4) Blocking Tight End / Cody Gibson - This is something I don't foresee leaving our system. We have got to find some guys to fill in this role whether its August, Redmond, Markway, or maybe Zandi. If Spurrier and his group of playcallers can get back to running the ball to help not putting too much on their young QB, I think it would be beneficial to find another Gibson. Heck maybe put Matulis out there?

5) Lastly, you have to go to the QB position. This could be the one bugaboo that keeps USC from being good next year. Whether its Mitch/Scarnecchia/Orth/Nunez or a transfer, we have got to get steady play from this position. There are going to be some rough patches with a 1st year starter, no doubt, but I think Spurrier/Mangus can protect them as long as they DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER. Whomever the starter is doesn't have to put up DT statistics but they have to be able to move the chains and take care of the ball. Basically, I'm indirectly saying that we don't need to be in a situation where we are playing 3 or 4 QBs next year because they can't separate themselves from one another.

I would've put DE in there but it's kind of in wait and see mode until NSD.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Carolina Angler
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina Angler has hatched from the shell

biggest X factor for me will be the WR position. I think owens will do very well as a big jump ball threat for us. We havent had a receiver with this type of physical character.

Also if we can lock down a QB we will be okay offensively.
Carolina Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
conwaycock2
Starter

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

2) DJ Smith - We got a glimpse of what he can do this year but he should be ready to take over the Safety spot next to Gurley. We are pretty set at corner with McWilliams and Lammons but we have got to get better at Safety and I think he is going to be a big part of the equation

Yep, & got to get better is a gross understatement. Just flatout awful play back there last yr. But man the guys on another site just went crazy & continue to this day that Smith was THE answer at safety last year. Most all of that stemmed from a partial game at KY where he played very well until he got ejected. Reality was that after that game he played in spots & struggled just as badly as the other guys. Difference is he will hit you & he was a True Freshman, that isn't true of the other guys other than Gurley. So he's probably the best shot & would appear to have the most potential.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
2) DJ Smith - We got a glimpse of what he can do this year but he should be ready to take over the Safety spot next to Gurley. We are pretty set at corner with McWilliams and Lammons but we have got to get better at Safety and I think he is going to be a big part of the equation

Yep, & got to get better is a gross understatement. Just flatout awful play back there last yr. But man the guys on another site just went crazy & continue to this day that Smith was THE answer at safety last year. Most all of that stemmed from a partial game at KY where he played very well until he got ejected. Reality was that after that game he played in spots & struggled just as badly as the other guys. Difference is he will hit you & he was a True Freshman, that isn't true of the other guys other than Gurley. So he's probably the best shot & would appear to have the most potential.
I like his mentality as far as being physical and how he is as a football player between the ears. That is how Gurley is such a better player, physically not super impressive but he has the right mentality and that's why he was probably the most consistent guy in the secondary IMO.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm wondering about redshirt-by-request Wesley Green jumping into the mix. A healthy Jamari Smith may help, also. He's a strong, fast kid.
Deebo Samuel is thought to be pretty elusive at WR. Googer and Davidson might have developed in the background.
We're all hoping Jeffery starts to get it done.
If Stanley and Stallworth come back strong from early injury, either could be good.
Crosby and Scarnecchia seem to me to be two darkhorses who might show something, though Crosby might struggle to find a position fit.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
chi3fcocksman
Fanatic

Male

CockyCash: 100302
chi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudlychi3fcocksman is crowing loudly

I hope several receivers light it up because I think Cooper may be our QB.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi3fcocksman View Post
I hope several receivers light it up because I think Cooper may be our QB.
Cooper will be our QB, but only situationally. If he were to be our regular QB, the receivers wouldn't be lighting up much of anything.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
Wisercock
Recruit

Male

Wisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudlyWisercock is crowing loudly

QB (Connor Mitch)