CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
garnet_black215
ccured
Badazcock
b381l
18IsTheMan
GH
NinjaSven
primetimetodd19
Heck of an atmospher (1137)
Kevin Sumlin Thought (1016)
Priority #1: Teach T (945)
Step back from the l (842)
My outside view (756)
Taylor Swift has a m (740)
great pic (736)
99 PROBLEMS... (593)
Mike Davis Twitter (470)
Talking Season 2014 (356)
Step back from the ledge
Shon Carson at KR
My Observations About USC
Fearless predictions of t
NCAA Football 14
Shaq Roland
What's your take on our a
Confused fan here. Why i
2014-15 Premier League se
Jacoby Brissett former re

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #21
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Talent Level In Professional Soccer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I feel like soccer players have a different body type than a lot of the athletes in the US's big 3 sports. We're talking about a game that is all about endurance and dexterity IMO. A lot of these guys look more like marathon runners than football players. I guess WR's and DB's in football and then guards in basketball would be best suited. I agree to an extent with OP, but I also feel like it is a tired statement by Americans to excuse our shittiness in soccer.
Well any excuse presented to the opponent is always just that...an excuse. It's all hypothetical, too...so presenting the argument in hopes of convincing a fellow Brazilian or Italian isn't going to do you many favors.

Doesn't mean it isn't accurate.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

I don't know I feel like some basketball players would have been good soccer players. Imagine if russell westbrook played soccer his whole life instead of basketball. That guy is an unreal athlete and extremely quick
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4438416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
If in some hypothetical world, baseketball, football and baseball didn't exist and Soccer was America's only and most favorite team sport...we would be the #1 team in the world every year. We have millions of athletes to choose a squad of 23 from.

There are some really fast soccer players out there, but none could touch Jeff Demps or Chris Johnson on a long ball to the corner. You think Tim Howard has a long wing span, what about LeBron James'. Does anyone think a guy from Portugal is going to out muscle Luke Kuechley in the box on a corner kick, not gonna happen.
Luke Kuechley wouldn't be built the way he is if he played soccer.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #24
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I don't know I feel like some basketball players would have been good soccer players. Imagine if russell westbrook played soccer his whole life instead of basketball. That guy is an unreal athlete and extremely quick
Point guards and some shooting guards but how many attacking soccer players can you name that are 6'6"? That tall and you are going to be a defender and be used on set pieces.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Point guards and some shooting guards but how many attacking soccer players can you name that are 6'6"? That tall and you are going to be a defender and be used on set pieces.
...in the current traditional setting of soccer.

Lineman in the NFL used to average 245lbs in 1960.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #26
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
I knew this would come up and explanation is fairly simple.

We use amateur players for our Olympic team. They aren't a true sample of the top of competition against other nations. Not only that, but the elite players (especially pitchers) kind of shun away from playing in the WBC. It's extracurricular and for show...the World Cup is THE SHOW for soccer professionals.

Those Latin American teams load up with their All-Stars.
The star players from most countries shy away not just the usa. The two dominant latin America teams are cuba and the dominican. Baseball is dominant there just like football is here.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Well I probably can't name 10 soccer players in general haha. Maybe I'm crazy but I tend to agree with the initial poster that if our best atheletes all played soccer for the most part, if it was this countrys top athletic priority, we would be the best at it. Maybe it's arragant or ignorance, but I know for a fact the best athletes in my schools growing up did not play soccer as kids.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #28
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

I tend to think your slot, WRs, RBs and DBs would be the soccer guys to go after...WR/TE or maybe Guards (NBA) for GKs

Captain Munnerlyn, Dameire Byrd as wings, Gurley and Davis as strikers
Raw Lewis as central defending midfielder

Tony Gonzalez as GK?

It's a fun thing to speculate but the reality is you cant compare bc of training and bodily development.

Also I think the main thing Cola is that we dont have BIG academies that kids can train in or get proper coaching in. Most of the NFL coaches played 30+ eyars ago and have decades of experience...most soccer coaches have minimal training/experience...though that has changed dramatically since the US Soccer ODT began.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
Well I probably can't name 10 soccer players in general haha. Maybe I'm crazy but I tend to agree with the initial poster that if our best atheletes all played soccer for the most part, if it was this countrys top athletic priority, we would be the best at it. Maybe it's arragant or ignorance, but I know for a fact the best athletes in my schools growing up did not play soccer as kids.
Oh. I agree with him. If it was a biggger priorty in high school age we would be dominant.I just think basketball players are identified younger. Sure they play soccer when 5-8 or something but the baseball and football kids that play soccer younger play until 12-13. At least that's what I saw growing up. I think there is more overlap in track and field athletes and soccer players than soccer and basketball.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #30
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
...in the current traditional setting of soccer.

Lineman in the NFL used to average 245lbs in 1960.
How is this relevant? In 1960 soccer players averaged 160 or something
Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #31
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
How is this relevant? In 1960 soccer players averaged 160 or something
...that is what Clint Dempsey weighs now.

So, my point is that you were saying a 6'6" player would have issues as an attacking player and would likely be relegated to defense. Not if the rest of your team were all human specimens...like we see in NFL/NBA/MLB.

I am saying that the landscape of an average US American soccer team might would look a little different once the cream of the crop started playing.

So to my point...in 1960 if you were 6'6" and wanted to get into football, they might would put you at QB or WR since that would be the only place your height could be an advantage. Not now where 6'6" is just a tad above the average height of a NFL player at 6'3".

Old 06-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #32
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

the us doesn't have the development systems at a young age that Europe has i think it was klinsmann in an interview talking about how American soccer players are mostly aiming for college scholarships and are not professionally developed till later
Old 06-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #33
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
...that is what Clint Dempsey weighs now.

So, my point is that you were saying a 6'6" player would have issues as an attacking player and would likely be relegated to defense. Not if the rest of your team were all human specimens...like we see in NFL/NBA/MLB.

I am saying that the landscape of an average US American soccer team might would look a little different once the cream of the crop started playing.
I am saying they would be too big to go against the other team not because of the rest of their team. The agility and athleticism of the 6'1 guy on the other end in a game with the actual contact rules of soccer.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #34
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Peter Crouch 6'7" 22 goals in 42 appearances.
Llorente 6'5"
Andy Carroll 6'4
Brek Shea 6'3--winger
Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
It's a simple answer...of course not...these are the best soccer players we have to offer.

Would Peyton Manning be a good soccer player? hell no, he's too slow.

Would Richard Sherman make a good GK? if he played most of his life, probably.

Hard to compare, I dont see a Lebron being able to handle Brazil for 90' + when he nearly died from cramps in San Antonio

Also, when we were growing up...there WAS no REAL successful Major League soccer association...MLS as we know it is only 19 years old...kids now seeing our successes and being exposed to top club play from across the water will know it and love it.
The structure was not there and most of the athletes I knew double and triple dipped into sports most dropped soccer first when needed to accommodate.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #36
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPitCockyLifer rules the CockPit

Quote:
I would agree with you. I think it was Dan Patrick was saying if the USA could just get 30 % of the best high school athletes to play soccer than that group would win the world cup before their retirement. So basically by 3 or 4 world cups.

We are the only major football country in the world and yes if half of those true athletes played soccer instead the USA talent pool would be exponentially higher than now.
Spot on!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #37
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Peyton Manning is an obvious exception though...the best offensive lineman would be exempt as well, even though they are certainly athletic specimen.

However, I also don't think most of these soccer players run exceptionally fast 40 times in comparison to players in the NFL...then combine their agility, ability to change directions, etc...and you have a disaster for what most defenders see in soccer.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #38
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
The structure was not there and most of the athletes I knew double and triple dipped into sports most dropped soccer first when needed to accommodate.
Right and this is because of, imho, encouragement.

Dads then were all soccer AINT NOTHING BUT A DAMN COMMIE PLOT!!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Look at Kyle Beckerman...I read a funny quote that relates to this converstaion.

Lol.

LOL. It is the truth, though.

I don't want this to come across as a bash on the sport of soccer...I just want some input on this dialogue to see if I experience the same things growing up and if my speculations are shared.

In an alternate universe, Kobe Bryant was destroying Clint Dempsey in youth soccer until Kobe decided to play basketball...a sport seen with value and a higher ceiling in America...then Clint Dempsey was able to finally start shining.

I hope soccer continues to climb in America. I don't hate it. Now, I don't prefer it over baseball/football/basketball and I can watch hockey much easier...but I am all for any competition that brings people together. The only thing I can really say that I don't like is how hardcore soccer fans try to shove the sport down American's throats. For the past 3 weeks, I have a couple guys on my Facebook who are deadset on making you understand that something is wrong with you for not liking soccer *like* the rest of planet Earth.

With the best athletes our country has to offer, we would destroy every country in soccer...and I firmly believe that. I don't know if it is genetics, mindset/confidence, variety, or what...but America has shown that if we try hard, we end up being the best at it...and by quite the margin. Like awesome fast food and obesity, for example; we own that shit and no one is stopping us.
Lol. But I do agree.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Peter Crouch 6'7" 22 goals in 42 appearances.
Llorente 6'5"
Andy Carroll 6'4
Brek Shea 6'3--winger
1 player