CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
sanford
TAFC 5 1981
gamecockgal
WeStill0wnUSC
Spurticus
garnet_black215
75CarolinaFan
rdwylie
MWard
Vic Beasley On Clown (1696)
Another A&M aggi (1424)
Predict Clemson 2014 (1294)
ACC Wants Helmet Com (688)
Green and Lammons (482)
Asheville/Spartanbur (449)
2016 - Terrance Davi (389)
2016 - Anthony " (322)
It's Cover Two's bda (248)
2016 - Dontye Carrie (215)
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Green and Lammons
Georgia Defensive returni
SEC Coaches on the Hot Se
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Another A&M aggie off
Official WWE Thread
Nashville
2015 - Albert Huggins
Predict Clemson 2014

Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Fraudulent Check Warrant

My dad called me tonight to inform me that he got a warrant for my arrest mailed to his house in SC today from the Richland Co Sheriff for 2 fraudulent checks written to Kroger for $45.29 and $15.36.

I'm in my mid 30's and have not lived in Columbia since 2002. I have had 2 different mortgages since living in Charlotte and re-financed 2 years ago. My credit scores were in the 760s. I've had 2 criminal and credit checks from the 2 different publicly traded companies where I have worked and nothing has ever come up. The checks must be from the bank I used while in college b/c if someone had a check from my current account, the checks would not have bounced.

I still have time to make restitution w/o any legal issues but am very confused by the situation unless someone has stolen my identity and opened a new account. However, it just seems weird that this issue would pop up in the town where I went to college.

Now it is possible that I did unknowingly write a check in the early 2000's with NSF but why would it take this long to issue a warrant?

Anyone have thoughts on this?
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fraudulent Check Warrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
My dad called me tonight to inform me that he got a warrant for my arrest mailed to his house in SC today from the Richland Co Sheriff for 2 fraudulent checks written to Kroger for $45.29 and $15.36.

I'm in my mid 30's and have not lived in Columbia since 2002. I have had 2 different mortgages since living in Charlotte and re-financed 2 years ago. My credit scores were in the 760s. I've had 2 criminal and credit checks from the 2 different publicly traded companies where I have worked and nothing has ever come up. The checks must be from the bank I used while in college b/c if someone had a check from my current account, the checks would not have bounced.

I still have time to make restitution w/o any legal issues but am very confused by the situation unless someone has stolen my identity and opened a new account. However, it just seems weird that this issue would pop up in the town where I went to college.

Now it is possible that I did unknowingly write a check in the early 2000's with NSF but why would it take this long to issue a warrant?

Sounds like you have an identity thief. You really need to check on that. If it has been that long, you would have had the warrant way before now. The problem with most of it is, if was recent, and you don't even live there anymore, that right there should tell you someone has opened an account in your name.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Sounds like you have an identity thief. You really need to check on that. If it has been that long, you would have had the warrant way before now. The problem with most of it is, if was recent, and you don't even live there anymore, that right there should tell you someone has opened an account in your name.
Lucky it was small amounts

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's my concern. I called RCDC but the warrant division is closed and they could not tell me anything at the main number. Kinda convenient if it was an id theft that it happened in the same city where I went to college.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default Fraudulent Check Warrant

I once got notices in the mail saying that I skipped my court date in another county for tickets I had received.

After much research and explaining, I was able to find out that someone I knew had used my name and birthdate when they were pulled over...

Luckily I got the notices in the mail and didn't end up getting pulled over or going through a roadblock with warrants on me; would've been much harder to explain at that point.

So anyway, I'm assuming some sort of identity theft issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Who do I contact about id theft?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Quote:
Who do I contact about id theft?

I would contact whoever is accusing you and ask for more information - dates of checks, images of checks, etc.

ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
I would contact whoever is accusing you and ask for more information - dates of checks, images of checks, etc.

I have a follow up with the officer at 7 am tomorrow.

In the meantime I did a credit check with one of the the 3 major credit rating agencies. There are no new open accounts and, every closed account is in good standing/fully paidand never late, all open accounts are in good standing and not late. There are 0 notifications for harmful checks or credit issues out there. My credit score is 760+.

Really strange. Beginning to think it is a scam.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have a follow up with the officer at 7 am tomorrow.

In the meantime I did a credit check with one of the the 3 major credit rating agencies. There are no new open accounts and, every closed account is in good standing/fully paidand never late, all open accounts are in good standing and not late. There are 0 notifications for harmful checks or credit issues out there. My credit score is 760+.

Really strange. Beginning to think it is a scam.
Did the letter your father received ask for any kind of payment? To void the warrant or such. If so that is something you should look at.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

I'm dumb on this kind of stuff but are warrants mailed to you? Is the number the correct one for the sheriff's office? I guess they'd have to come after me because I treat anything like that a scam. Check the RC Sheriff's web site. If it's a scam they might have some info online about it. Hope you get this resolved soon.

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Did the letter your father received ask for any kind of payment? To void the warrant or such. If so that is something you should look at.
The letter said not to mail them money bc they do not accept payment.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
I'm dumb on this kind of stuff but are warrants mailed to you? Is the number the correct one for the sheriff's office? I guess they'd have to come after me because I treat anything like that a scam. Check the RC Sheriff's web site. If it's a scam they might have some info online about it. Hope you get this resolved soon.
The number on the letter is for the warrant division.

It's a form letter with hand written info with regards to warrant number, my name, store name and check amount. No dates are on the letter.

I read that they must present me with a copy of the fraudulent checks. I'll let y'all know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

I would research the statute of limitations and definitely ask for copies of the checks.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #14
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Yikes!! I hope you get it worked out...that is scary

Makes me want to consider identity theft insurance more closely
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
SwampFox
1st Team All-American

Male

SwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot materialSwampFox is USC mascot material

I got Lifelock after the breach at the SC Tax Commission, as I was a SC resident during some of the affected years. So far, so good.

Scotland Forever

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eum/index.html
SwampFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #16
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

i think they have the wrong person, seems like your bank would have contacted you years ago
Old 07-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #17
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudly

Quote:

Any chance someone could have gotten their hands on checks from your old account and just now written the checks? How long has it been since that account was closed? I would ask for copies of the checks as well. Banks based in SC are required to keep check images for 10 years (Federal law is 7), so if it is really old you may be in the clear. Ask why the checks were returned as well (should be on the copies) and verify the date. Let me know if you have any other questions, part of what I do in my job.

Also, if the bank returns your check they are done. They do not really follow up to make sure you pay the person. That is between you and the payee, so whatever bank the check is from is not really in this, so you should be good there unless someone has opened an account with your info. That is very unlikely due to the amounts of these item and where they negotiated them. Most fraud happens at check cashers and/or Wal-Mart.

I have personally seen Piggly Wiggly ask for a warrant 7-8 years later, so it is possible this is really old as well.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

They were more than likely written at the St Andrews kroger that closed roughly two years ago. All their paperwork was transferred to other stores. Then the outstanding fraudulent checks were found and handled by kroger. The lady was the front end manager at that store didnt know how to do her job. Some of the upper management was fairly incompetent as well. They would have been the ones to handle it back then and they probably didn't. I used to work for kroger and seem to remember something like that happening when the two stores in Aiken closed and the one super store was built.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #19
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

The officer said this happened in March of 2000. I asked her why I'm just now hearing about it and she had no reason other than it takes time for things to get through the court system. She also would not scan and email me the checks to prove that they were mine. She said I could stop by the station to view a copy. I told her that I certainly had no time for that and so she referred me to her sargent who left me a voicemail while I was in a meeting with a client. I've called him back twice but he has not returned my call.