CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
Sandstorm29
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
rioninusc
Regalcock
5lbYardcock
The Vent and Coachin (8150)
Disturbing comments (3180)
2015 schedule is bru (2431)
UF lets Durkin go (2133)
2015 Early Enrollees (1678)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (1105)
SOS...a day late &am (1092)
The U ends apparel d (730)
Bobo to Colorado St? (716)
Keeping it all in pe (396)
2016 - John Simpson
2014-15 Early Enrollees
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 schedule is brutal
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
2015 - Ulric Jones
2015 Commitment - Dante S
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
2015 Commitment - Ernest

Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Professional Soccer (Futbol / Football) for Beginners

OK, the other thread got me thinking...maybe a separate thread just for the discussion between those interested in getting more acquainted with professional soccer and those who know a thing or two.

Reason being, I tried to google the different teams / leagues...and, holy hell, it's like trying to read Greek.

So, any of our soccer aficionados want to give us a good run down on the different leagues and some of their teams? A compilation of multiple posts from the World Cup thread (ex.; EPL / Champions / others)?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Professional Soccer (Futbol / Football) for Beginners

The big 5 that matter are...

EPL - England/Wales (Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City etc)
La Liga - Spain (Barcalona, Atletico Mardrid, Valencia, Real Madrid, etc)
Bundesliga - Germany (Bayern Munich, Borusia Dortmund, Shalke, etc)
Serie A - Italy (AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan, Napoli, Roma, etc)
Ligue 1 - France (Paris St Germaine, AC Monaco)

All of these leagues have lower leagues that promote good teams to the top divison while bad teams from the top divison are relegated to the lower divisions.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

^^^^

The Dutch league is pretty good too and has Ajax, Feynord, PSV, etc.

Little defense is played in dutch football and most of the best players are poached by better/richer leagues.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I hear that you're considered a bandwagon fan of you pull for Manchester United or Real Madrid. My friends that really like soccer equate those with liking the Yankees or Red Sox just because they're well known and usually good.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

IMO for a beginner the best would be the EPL.

They just signed a contract with NBC and based on your cable provider you can watch any game on Saturdays and Sundays. (When there are multiple being played)

On top of that they have the most of the "largest teams" and if you're in a business like myself where you work with people from England, you can easily talk with them about it.
(Well the last part is just a good addition for myself)
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Teams easily able to see in the states every weekend are basically the EPL. Other leagues are hard to catch games for unless you have BeinSports or the occasional ESPN airing of a game. So if you are looking for a team to casually follow I would suggest starting with the EPL. It then boils down to if you want to pull for a big underdog,in the running, or championship caliber team. Usually not much parity in the top 4 teams every year. If you want a team to pull for that's in the running that has an American based player watch Everton. An underdog team with an American pull for Aston Villa. Championship caliber team has no Americans so it would come down to play style IMO. A team I root for outside the EPL would be Dortmund from the Bundesliga. The support and atmosphere they have at that stadium is almost unrivaled (check some videos out of that stadium). Hope this helps you a little bit and if not then I would say just catch any bigger name team vs another on the occasional wknd for a good game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Ok question- I'm going to be spending a week at a time, many times, in Belgium for the foreseeable future. (I know...interesting timing)

What are, if any, my soccer options? Any professional teams to speak of that I should be aware of?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Ok question- I'm going to be spending a week at a time, many times, in Belgium for the foreseeable future. (I know...interesting timing)

What are, if any, my soccer options? Any professional teams to speak of that I should be aware of?

Belgium teams aren't very high quality I guess you could say, but yes they do have a league. Anderlechte (sp) and Standard liege are the top two teams there almost year in and year out. If I were you I would try and go to Germany if at all possible to watch a match. Higher quality matches and all that jazz in Germany.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
Belgium teams aren't very high quality I guess you could say, but yes they do have a league. Anderlechte (sp) and Standard liege are the top two teams there almost year in and year out. If I were you I would try and go to Germany if at all possible to watch a match. Higher quality matches and all that jazz in Germany.

I'm sure I will venture west at some point.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Belgium's domestic league isn't that spectactular. Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Grenk show up sometimes.

The Dutch Eredivisie is great for seeing HOW they develop talent. Ajax (EYE-ox) is THE grandfather of youth academies...I'd LOVE to tour that place.

Germany's league is great. FC Bayern Munich has superstars on the bench. Borussia Dortmund, FC Schalke 04 are all good experiences
Old 07-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

Thanks

If you can venture far enough north west I would highly recommend going to see Borussia Dortmund play at Signal Hiduna Park. Like I have said in other threads one of the best atmospheres to witness in person!!!

Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post

Anderlecht will be in the Champions League group stage for sure, Standard Liege has to go through the qualifying rounds but could make it to the group stage. Could be a good chance to see one of them play a top side in the Champions League if they happen to be playing when you are there and if you can get tickets.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #13
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post

They just signed a contract with NBC and based on your cable provider you can watch any game on Saturdays and Sundays. (When there are multiple being played)

On top of that they have the most of the "largest teams" and if you're in a business like myself where you work with people from England, you can easily talk with them about it.
I loved the job NBC did with the coverage last year. Big step up from Fox Soccer. They also have a free app so you can stream all of the games on the go if your cable provider gets NBC Sports.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

What exactly is the champions league? I get the gist, but not the finer points.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

UEFA (UNited European Football Associations) Champions League Continental tournament.

INdividual league champions (Winner of the EPL, Bundesliga etc) are in.

Also, the team who finish 2-4th in the leagues are in. Double round robin group stages of 32 teams.

It's epic

Because there are SO many freaking teams...it can be complicated early on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Ch...#Qualification

Is actually legitimate informatino if memory serves.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Thanks
If you want to watch German soccer, you'll need to venture east. West will get you to France or England (if you cross the channel).

Dortmund isn't that far away from Belgium though. If you're in Brussels (middle of Belgium), I would guess it's about 3 hours away by car (not counting any time spent crossing country borders).
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #17
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
UEFA (UNited European Football Associations) Champions League Continental tournament.

Also, the team who finish 2-4th in the leagues are in. Double round robin group stages of 32 teams.

It's epic

So the top 4 from 8 leagues do a world cup basically?
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
^^^^

The Dutch league is pretty good too and has Ajax, Feynord, PSV, etc.

Little defense is played in dutch football and most of the best players are poached by better/richer leagues.
On that note, if those now getting interested in watching soccer want to see goals scored, watch the Eredivisie (the Dutch league) or the Bundesliga (German league). These two leagues lead the world in the amount of goals scored per match.

There's a reason Jozy scored 31 goals a couple of seasons ago and Aron Johannson lit it up this year. Might as well call it the Ere*ivisie because there is no D.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #19
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post

Here's an AWESOME way to get introduced to soccer and the EPL. If you don't want to watch an entire match yet, there's a show that comes on Saturday nights (you can tape it on the East Coast if you don't want to stay up) called Match of the Day. It's basically a 2 hour show which goes through the main highlights of every match in about 10 minutes. When I can't see the games live on the weekends, I watch this show.

During college football season, it's a great way to keep up with the EPL since we tend to be a bit busy on Saturdays.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post

It's epic

To sum it up, it's the World Cup on a club level (except it's all European teams who are generally the best teams in the world anyways. Some might argue a couple of the big South American teams like Corinthians, River Plate, Boca Juniors are as good but Europe dominates. Like the World Cup, a few teams from the smaller leagues get in and make it to the knockout rounds. Typically a team from Greece.).

Group play is fun then you get to the knockout rounds. However, knockout rounds are two matches - a home match for each team. Team with the most goals advances. If they tie on goals, team with the most away goals advances. If they are still tied on goals and away goals, you play the last match of the 2 match tie in extra time and then penalties.

Awesome drama and quality football too!