CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
75CarolinaFan
sanford
b381l
Aggie96
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
WeStillOwnUSC
U-Dub Gamecock
Regalcock
Sidney Rice Retiring (1216)
Dan Patrick Show - P (559)
ESPN Insider (483)
Pictures of older Co (396)
Places to eat in Con (232)
Bonefish Grill (229)
SOS Dominating SEC M (220)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (186)
This Song is the F'i (165)
What Are The Most Im (139)
Predict Clemson 2014
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Green and Lammons
Another A&M aggie off
Texags
ESPN Insider
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Ace suspended 4 games
Places To Eat In Beufort
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material
Default Re: Professional Soccer (Futbol / Football) for Beginners

When you want to watch the more physical type you for the German an Englis League.

I watch the "latin" which Include Spain, Italy and South America, smaller players with better technique.

Champions League is awesome, is the best of the best in Europe competing agaisnt each other.

I don't usually follow trends so I follow Fiorentina from Italy, they play good soccer and they have Cuadrado who's is excitinf to watch.

Watch out for Monaco and James Rodriguez.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #22
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
When you want to watch the more physical type you for the German an Englis League.

I watch the "latin" which Include Spain, Italy and South America, smaller players with better technique.

Champions League is awesome, is the best of the best in Europe competing agaisnt each other.

I don't usually follow trends so I follow Fiorentina from Italy, they play good soccer and they have Cuadrado who's is excitinf to watch.

Watch out for Monaco and James Rodriguez.
what leagues do you watch to see people dive and roll around on the ground the most?
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #23
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
Ok question- I'm going to be spending a week at a time, many times, in Belgium for the foreseeable future. (I know...interesting timing)

What are, if any, my soccer options? Any professional teams to speak of that I should be aware of?
Flip dem muthas som boidies! They got lucky Klinsmann wanted to play keep away instead of win the game.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #24
CockyLifer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 99095
CockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talonsCockyLifer has developed his gaff and talons

Why can't MLS succeed in FLA? I wish we could get a team around here. Yes I consider that more here than DC.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #25
B-G
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Champions league isn't the top 4 teams from each league.

Based on the UEFA Coefficient a league is slotted that number of teams per year.
Based on that number leagues are assigned how many teams will go to th UCL.

For example, in this years Champions league, England, Spain and Germany sent 4 teams, Italy, Portugal and France-3, Russia, Netherlands, Ukraine, Turkey etc 2.

This here (click association ranking) will break it down for you.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%...ampions_League
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

OK, question...

Why are there so many leagues?
The only thing I have to compare soccer to are traditionally popular US sports; football, basketball, baseball.

And while those sports had separate leagues during different portions of their history, now they've all been combined into single leagues...

I'm not sure if this is even a thought to soccer fans, but wouldnt you want a soccer champion to be crowned, not just of one of many leagues, but all of professional soccer?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
OK, question...

The only thing I have to compare soccer to are traditionally popular US sports; football, basketball, baseball.

And while those sports had separate leagues during different portions of their history, now they've all been combined into single leagues...

I'm not sure if this is even a thought to soccer fans, but wouldnt you want a soccer champion to be crowned, not just of one of many leagues, but all of professional soccer?

That is basically Champions league. I like that there are so many leagues it switches it up each year with new teams able to try it make it in the higher divisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #28
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
what leagues do you watch to see people dive and roll around on the ground the most?
The nba, ouch

Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #29
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Countries have multiple leagues, think of it kinda like minor league baseball, except teams can move up and down from the different tiers. In England the top tier being the Premier League. For example the 3 lowest teams in the EPL will be relegated to the Football league Championship, and people will move up from that one.

Each leagues crowns it own champion but in England they also have the FA (Football Association) cup and that is where everyone in English football compete.
I guess now days though it has lost it's luster as most of the big teams in the EPL care more about winning the Premier League.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

A. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudlyA. Pilgrim is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
That is basically Champions league. I like that there are so many leagues it switches it up each year with new teams able to try it make it in the higher divisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK now I need to know...

We've had several leagues referenced in this thread, but divisions?

I need a hierarchy outline!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #31
B-G
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
OK now I need to know...

Each country has it's own league.

Pretty much all of them are tiered like I explained the EPL.
The champions league consists of the best teams (and in the better leagues 3 or 4) from their countries top level league competing with the rest of europe.

Other continents have these tournaments but they aren't as good.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #32
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
OK, question...

People though of that before but every country has a league with different weather and time frame, its almost impossible to have a "world" league.

We do have a world club championship where the best of every region go, usually dominated by Europeans and South Americans which are the strongest regions.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #33
A. Pilgrim
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Each country has it's own league.

Pretty much all of them are tiered like I explained the EPL.
The champions league consists of the best teams (and in the better leagues 3 or 4) from their countries top level league competing with the rest of europe.

Other continents have these tournaments but they aren't as good.
Ah, ok...perfect.
This really help.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #34
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
OK now I need to know...

Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I know the structure of the basketball leagues in Europe is similar to the structure in place for soccer. Euroleague/ULEB leagues place restrictions on the number of foreign basketball players (at one point it was a max of 2 foreigners, but I think they've relaxed that). Do the various soccer leagues have similar restrictions? I would assume that the top players from the US and South America would want to play professionally in Europe, but I wondered if rules like I suggested were in place to limit their opportunities.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #36
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Every country in the world is like this, for example.

Charleston battery win 3rd division, they move to second, then they win so they go to MLS, then they win MLS they play Champions League vs the best of Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica... if they win that one they go to world club championship where they face the champion of every continent.

This is a global sport where you can start a neighborhood team and make it as big as you can. American sports have a different set up but in soccer, every country is similar maybe except for Brazil.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #37
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
I know the structure of the basketball leagues in Europe is similar to the structure in place for soccer. Euroleague/ULEB leagues place restrictions on the number of foreign players (at one point it was a max of 2 foreigners, but I think they've relaxed that). Do the various soccer leagues have similar restrictions? I would assume that the top players from the US and South America would want to play professionally in Europe, but I wondered if rules like I suggested were in place to limit their opportunities.
In most countries you are allowed to have 3 or 4 foreigners per team, in Europe, I'm not sure how it works in Europe.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #38
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Every country in the world is like this, for example.

Charleston battery win 3rd division, they move to second, then they win so they go to MLS, then they win MLS they play Champions League vs the best of Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica... if they win that one they go to world club championship where they face the champion of every continent.

This is not true in the case of American soccer leagues. There is no relegation and promotion to the MLS. So, the Battery will not play in the MLS unless they become an MLS franchise.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #39
B-G
Game MVP

Male

1) the MLS does not relegate anyone. Nor can anyone get promoted to the MLS.

2) in England to play there you must be a citizen of the United Kingdom and Ireland if you are not you must have played a certain amount of games with your countries senior team.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #40
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
In most countries you are allowed to have 3 or 4 foreigners per team, in Europe, I'm not sure how it works in Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
1) the MLS does not relegate anyone. Nor can anyone get promoted to the MLS.

2) in England to play there you must be a citizen of the United Kingdom and Ireland if you are not you must have played a certain amount of games with your countries senior team.
Interesting. I thought there would be restrictions on the number of foreigners allowed. I know the basketball leagues do it to give their own countrymen more opportunities and to prevent teams from loading up on foreign "ringers". I figured the soccer leagues would be similar, but wasn't sure.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote