CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Regalcock
b381l
ConwayGamecock
GregoryHouse
U-Dub Gamecock
crowcutta
gamecockgal
For Discussing The C (4746)
Question about after (3687)
Drew Owens missing? (2982)
Shaq Roland (2390)
Dylan Thompson surpa (2013)
clemson game time: N (1635)
The Defense (1046)
FishFry 47-yarder (964)
Mason Rudolph starti (660)
Women's soccer Sweet (600)
Women's soccer Sweet 16 v
For Discussing The Clemso
**USC Women vs. San Diego
Charlotte Hornet Basketba
clemson game time: Noon o
Question about after the
Clowney Sack Today +/- 1.
S%^t My Twitter Says...
injury report?
THE Vent and Coaching Cha

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: TAMU can suck a bag of cat balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
We should trademark "Touchdown" and "TD" then sue the shit out of anyone who uses it. We'll own ESPN by the end of the year.
Then they will hate us even more.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #22
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Is Eric Hyman behind this?
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #23
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
We should trademark "Touchdown" and "TD" then sue the shit out of anyone who uses it. We'll own ESPN by the end of the year.
We should trademark the 55 yard line
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #24
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
So you honestly believe that if they don't pursue this guy in Buffalo hanging flyers for some Facebook page inside the local laundromat, and threaten him with litigation and MORE, they're going to lose their trademark on "The 12th Man".
Its not him, its the courts. And they will if atm doesn't respond.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #25
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Seattle says high....and they have a flag for theirs
Seattle also played an upfront nominal fee for them with an annual payment. Basically more proof that atm is simply protecting their interest and not being a jerk about it.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
Seattle also played an upfront nominal fee for them with an annual payment. Basically more proof that atm is simply protecting their interest and not being a jerk about it.

...learn something new everyday
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Its not him, its the courts. And they will if atm doesn't respond.
TAMU has no basis for enforcement of this sort in the first place. Non-commercial use of the mark is exempted from dilution claims (which is what this type of suit would be). Courts would not hold it against TAMU that it didn't bring a suit with no merit. This is purely intended to show aggressive line of attack toward anyone who uses the term in association with something other than TAMU, regardless of the merits underlying the case. That is what makes this bullshit. TAMU loses nothing in terms of legal protection by letting this go. The truth is that this mark is entitled to little protection in the first place (if any). This is just bullying meant to send a message, which is plan B when the law itself doesn't give you much.
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #28
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Quote:
And, if this is true, then TAMU's dilution case is even more absurd. The point of a dilution claim is to stop use of the mark by others on the basis that it "blurs" the distinctive association of that mark with a singular company/institution. But, If they will let others use it for a "nominal fee," then TAMU itself is blurring the distinctive association of "12th Man" with TAMU.

If it isn't clear, I have a special for hatred trademark abuse, particularly dilution claims like this. And, I'm a huge Bills fan, so pardon my passion about such an insignificant news story.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #29
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
TAMU has no basis for enforcement of this sort in the first place. Non-commercial use of the mark is exempted from dilution claims (which is what this type of suit would be). Courts would not hold it against TAMU that it didn't bring a suit with no merit. This is purely intended to show aggressive line of attack toward anyone who uses the term in association with something other than TAMU, regardless of the merits underlying the case. That is what makes this bullshit. TAMU loses nothing in terms of legal protection by letting this go. The truth is that this mark is entitled to little protection in the first place (if any). This is just bullying meant to send a message, which is plan B when the law itself doesn't give you much.
Atm may well have acted too early, but I still see it as them protecting their interests. They've established the paper trail if this does go commercial. The guy who went to the news is the bully in this one, not atm.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #30
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

This thread got pretty damn technical in a hurry

Thank god someone around here knows what they're talking about, pretty soon they'll charge for membership
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

Quote:

And, if this is true, then TAMU's dilution case is even more absurd. The point of a dilution claim is to stop use of the mark by others on the basis that it "blurs" the distinctive association of that mark with a singular company/institution. But, If they will let others use it for a "nominal fee," then TAMU itself is blurring the distinctive association of "12th Man" with TAMU.

If it isn't clear, I have a special for hatred trademark abuse, particularly dilution claims like this. And, I'm a huge Bills fan, so pardon my passion about such an insignificant news story.
To me it just shows them taking the due diligence to protect their interests while not infringing on those that want to use 12th man. More of a system problem than atm being a jackass in my opinion.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #32
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Do you think a school should be able to stop others from using that term in reference to their fan base, just because the school's fans used it first (assuming that is true)? This sort of thing has nothing to do with the purposes of trademark law and protection. No one is confused about the source of origin of some consumer product in an instance like this. This sort of litigation concerns so-called trademark dilution, which attempts to extend trademark protection well beyond any reasonable understanding of the law's purpose. See the Victor's Little Secret case for a really dumb example. Luckily, the Supreme Court dealt a blow to these "dilution" cases and ruled against Victoria's Secret in that case. But, that is why some trademark holders insist that they need to sue everyone for every single use of the mark lest they lose it. They are worried about the term becoming generic. But, so what if it does? It isn't like the 12th man operates to inform consumers about the source of origin of some product. It is just a nickname for a group of people who make nothing, sell nothing, and do nothing other than cheer as a group. It isn't a product brand connected with consumer good will or anything.
Absolutely not. I think the whole trademarking phrases and words thing is a complete load of crap, especially in this case, as several, if not all, football fanbases are referred to as "the 12th man" at one time or another. However, that wasn't the point to my post. My point was that it was stated in the article, and even the part he took out and quoted, that they could lose their trademark by not pursuing this. He bolded several lines before and a line after this sentence. I was simply wondering why he chose to leave that un-bolded.

Please note, I know next to nothing about trademark law, and whether or not this is a legitimate claim. I just noticed it was in the article.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #33
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Quote:
Atm may well have acted too early, but I still see it as them protecting their interests. They've established the paper trail if this does go commercial. The guy who went to the news is the bully in this one, not atm.
The defendant has to fork up significant attorney's fees to defend himself in court, in a case that almost certainly has no merit. Using news media may be his only affordable means of defense. This is why TAMU's tactic works. It is cheaper just to fold than fight it.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #34
bhusc2002
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

bhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot materialbhusc2002 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to bhusc2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
So you honestly believe that if they don't pursue this guy in Buffalo hanging flyers for some Facebook page inside the local laundromat, and threaten him with litigation and MORE, they're going to lose their trademark on "The 12th Man".
As I said in my previous post, I have no idea if this is a legitimate claim, I just noticed it was in the post and you chose not to bold this sentence. I asked a legitimate question, and, instead of answering it, you responded with smart-ass remark.
bhusc2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #35
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhusc2002 View Post
Absolutely not. I think the whole trademarking phrases and words thing is a complete load of crap, especially in this case, as several, if not all, football fanbases are referred to as "the 12th man" at one time or another. However, that wasn't the point to my post. My point was that it was stated in the article, and even the part he took out and quoted, that they could lose their trademark by not pursuing this. He bolded several lines before and a line after this sentence. I was simply wondering why he chose to leave that un-bolded.

Please note, I know next to nothing about trademark law, and whether or not this is a legitimate claim. I just noticed it was in the article.
I can understand where you were coming from, but I guess I wanted to emphasize that TAMU doesn't actually have to be this aggressive to protect the mark. Just because it says that in the article doesn't mean it is true. Lawyers are pretty good at convincing their clients that they need to spend a bunch of money on lawyers, often on unnecessary litigation like this. My old Intellectual Property professor used to bitch about it a lot, and I guess it rubbed off on me.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM   #36
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

Quote:
The defendant has to fork up significant attorney's fees to defend himself in court, in a case that almost certainly has no merit. Using news media may be his only affordable means of defense. This is why TAMU's tactic works. It is cheaper just to fold than fight it.
Not to get into a political debate, but that's how capitalism works. Once again a system problem, not atm being wrong.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #37
Storm Of Spurs
Blue Chip

Male

Storm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot material

Yeah...they suck soooooo hard for actually trying to protect what's legally theirs.

I feel sorry for that dude but a trademark is a trademark...they exist for a reason. And I doubt there would be nearly as much outrage over this is the dude wasn't handicapped.
Storm Of Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #38
Storm Of Spurs
Blue Chip

Male

Storm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot materialStorm Of Spurs is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
We should trademark the 55 yard line
LMAO!
Storm Of Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #39
rolinb1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1310176
rolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot materialrolinb1 is USC mascot material

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2014/...attle-seahawks

Following an initial lump sum payment of $100,000 in 2006, Texas A&M University is receiving $5,000 per year from the Seattle Seahawks for their use of the "12th Man" mark. The initial term of the agreement was five years, and the Seahawks opted to renew the agreement for five more years in 2011. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2016 after the current term expires.

The license agreement, which was signed on July 21, 2006, sheds light on the settlement agreement between the two sides and reveals specific details of Seattle's use of the mark. We have extracted key items from the agreement below.

Click herehttp://www.goodbullhunting.com/texas...shane-hinckley to read our 12th Man Q&A with Shane Hinckley (Texas A&M's Interim VP Marketing & Communications).

Do you have any idea how many of those cease and desist letters A&M has sent out in the last two years.

I don't have a number in front of me. In the last two years I think it is just south of 200 combined. We send out a lot. There's been a lot of issues that we had to deal with and it's just a part of the job. As our brand gets bigger and people like what they see, imitation is a form of flattery and people try to imitate. Some uses are okay and not an infringing use and other uses aren't. The difficult thing for a trademark owner is you have to look at each one separately. For instance a use by the news media in a news broadcast don't necessarily constitute a trademark infringement and they're not actionable. A lot of people who have a vested ownership or pride in their school hear ESPN talking about the 12th Man during a Seattle game, those are things that may not necessarily be an infringement. However, as a trademark owner they do pose a problem because they could tend to dilute the value of what the trademark is for Texas A&M. So we have to deal with those kinds of things. What one news agency does on Twitter as a promotion versus what they do for an in-game broadcast, those two things can be seen as vastly different in the eyes of the law. It's something that is very difficult to police and something that we are very actively involved in.

We talk with Seattle on a regular basis. Seattle has been an outstanding partner. They've been very clean in their use within the agreement. There's never been anything intentional and anything that's been minor that has come up has been addressed immediately. From a relationship standpoint we think that relationship is great. In terms of what some third parties do that aren't affiliated with the Seahawks, that's a different issue. Those are the ones that we have to take more time with and go after.

Aggie fans like to do police work for the school. If one of our readers notices what may be a violation, how can they notify your staff.

We have an email address on our Trademark and Licensing website (licensing@tamu.edu). We get a lot of notifications on Twitter. People will mention myself or Jason Cook and we note them and put them down on our list. If we think it's an actionable item we follow through with it. If we don't we check it off. A lot of the time we can't really say and don't comment on legal actions. Phone calls get made, letters get sent, lawyers are involved behind the scenes and publicly it's business as usual. There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes. The fans and fellow Aggies keep an eye out for us and actually it's been a great help for us because we don't have the manpower to do it all ourselves so we appreciate that.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #40
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Quote:
Not to get into a political debate, but that's how capitalism works. Once again a system problem, not atm being wrong.
This has nothing to do with capitalism. Tamu has no legal claim. If you disagree, explain. My point is that suit was brought despite it being rather obvious that there is no merit, which is abusive behavior. The systemic problem, if one exists, is that Tamu risks nothing in bringing the suit other than bad press. So, the Bills fan did exactly what he should have.