CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
markymark550
rosstheboss
GregoryHouse
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2893)
The Defense (1860)
**USC Women vs. San (1855)
Women's soccer Sweet (1512)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1209)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1052)
USC/clemson spread (717)
In case no one saw.. (700)
injury report? (646)
Your favorite Greate (433)
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
Odell Becham Catch
For Discussing The Clemso
2014 Charleston Classic:
Beat Clemson
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
USC/clemson spread
A little late to the conv
**USC Women vs. San Diego
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000

Old 07-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do you need advice on picking a Premier League team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Manchester City. Until recently, they were a loveable loser. Now they are owned by an Emerati Billionaire and spend cash like its going out of style. Great fans.

Chelsea have a Russian billionaire owner as well, but their fans are a bunch of dicks. Chelsea is in the west end of London. Which is very nice.
Why do you say that about Chelsea fans? I haven't been to a match there but have been a fan for a few years (even got a couple of jerseys). It's definitely a VERY nice part of London (doubt any of us could afford to live there) but curious to learn more about the fans. I'm sure there have been some bandwagon fans the last few years but what makes them so bad?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Sorry for the size.
GoCCUChants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #23
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

A couple of years ago, I got a chance to see 8 college football games all over the country in one season. I would LOVE to attend a match for every Premier League team in a season. That would be AWESOME!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #24
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Why do you say that about Chelsea fans? I haven't been to a match there but have been a fan for a few years (even got a couple of jerseys). It's definitely a VERY nice part of London (doubt any of us could afford to live there) but curious to learn more about the fans. I'm sure there have been some bandwagon fans the last few years but what makes them so bad?

Chelsea, before they were bought out, were a working-class team. They had some of the worst hooligan elements in London behind Millwall and West Ham. The bandwagon fans are not the issue.

Let's just say I've had a few run-ins over there with them.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #25
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Chelsea, before they were bought out, were a working-class team. They had some of the worst hooligan elements in London behind Millwall and West Ham. The bandwagon fans are not the issue.

Let's just say I've had a few run-ins over there with them.
That's unfortunate. Hooligans suck. It's the big black eye on soccer. Hate to hear that about Chelsea.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #26
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Here's my question. When you guys started watching the league, how long did it take you to find true feelings (such that you and I probably share about USC sports) about the team. It feels fake just to say, ________ is my favorite team without having any reason/ties to that team. I'm sure if I invested time and money ("kits," scarf, posters, etc) into the team, I'd get those true fan feelings, but it just seems fake. I did watch a handful of games last season and I found myself pulling for Norwich City because I liked their uniforms (like I'm 5 again) but I see that they've been relegated for next season. I think that a team with an American player would be the best route to go for myself. I also feel that I should pull for a MLS team before a EPL team but I just can't watch MLS when the EPL plays such a more beautiful game.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

You could always try this, haha

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/wh...ld-you-support

Everton, it is
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #28
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post

Everton, it is

There's this as well.

http://www.gq.com/sports/guides/2014...cer-guide-2014
Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
TheUniversityofSC
NSA Agent

Male

CockyCash: 500
TheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Then this is the thread for you.

I will be happy to give (generally) unbiased advice, and answer questions about whether an EPL team is right for you. I'm sure there are other posters out there would be willing to help as well.

[Note: I will NEVER advise anyone to choose Manchester United, and I think Tottenham (Spurs) are the Clemson of England.]

Please PM if you need my credentials as an BPL expert.
No. The only team I will follow will be the USA team every 4 years.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #30
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
Nice...sign me up for PSG, as well
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #31
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUniversityofSC View Post
Or you could follow them during the friendlies and various tournaments and qualifications leading up to the WC. The WC is the culmination of a grueling process with around 16 matches (I think) played over 2 yrs to qualify. The team could use the support year round.

I think soccer will have turned the corner when a qualifier can sell out a football stadium and get 10 million TV viewers on a weekend.

Everytime the USMNT plays, it should be an event.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #32
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

Quote:

Everton, it is
So I did this and guess what team I got???

Norwich City...see my post above and you'll see why this is funny.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #33
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Here's my question. When you guys started watching the league, how long did it take you to find true feelings (such that you and I probably share about USC sports) about the team. It feels fake just to say, ________ is my favorite team without having any reason/ties to that team. I'm sure if I invested time and money ("kits," scarf, posters, etc) into the team, I'd get those true fan feelings, but it just seems fake. I did watch a handful of games last season and I found myself pulling for Norwich City because I liked their uniforms (like I'm 5 again) but I see that they've been relegated for next season. I think that a team with an American player would be the best route to go for myself. I also feel that I should pull for a MLS team before a EPL team but I just can't watch MLS when the EPL plays such a more beautiful game.

This is my situation as well. I don't really follow a pro team in anything. In fact, I wouldn't keep up with pro sports at all if I didn't play fantasy. I check scores for the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets in NBA and that's about it. Don't really care for any NFL team. Rather spend my Sunday's playing golf or gaming.

The only soccer I follow religiously is the USMNT. I try to watch all of the matches.

However, my wife's best friend's fiancÚ is a huge soccer fan and he has been telling me to start watching the EPL. So here I am trying to find a team.

I like young, exciting teams that may not be the best but win games and give the big guys a run for their money. For example, I want to root for a early 2000 Sacramento Kings, present day Portland Trail Blazers / OKC Thunder, so when I was reading through the descriptions in the NBCSports link, Swansea City and Southampton fit the bill, IMO.

Hopefully both teams play on TV this Fall and I'll make a decision from there.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #34
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

Quote:
So I did this and guess what team I got???

Norwich City...see my post above and you'll see why this is funny.
Hahahaha, what are the odds?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:

Everton, it is
Looks like I'm a Liverpool fan.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #36
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Wait... So who has the more white collar fans.
City or Chelsea?

I know the league, players etc. Don't know much about England or the fan bases.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #37
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
So don't read it.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #38
TheUniversityofSC
NSA Agent

Male

TheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot materialTheUniversityofSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
So don't read it.
Don't get upset.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Don't get upset.
I'm actually not.

Look at some threads I was defending the trolls

Just be prepared to be called ignorant, stupid etc.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #40
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Looks like I'm a Liverpool fan.
Can't go wrong with Liverpool. Just don't get too close to Suarez around lunchtime!
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote