CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rioninusc
PageUSC
Regalcock
KaneisAble
QCB
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
markp_vip
taylorssc
doubledribble
Our Defense? (2093)
Fight, win, kick a-- (888)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (793)
CFN prediction for a (716)
MMA: Holeve (Down Sy (486)
What happened to thi (433)
A simple defensive l (404)
Why I'm hopeful abou (402)
This is War (399)
Ranking Top HC jobs (385)
2016 - Issac Nauta
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
Our Defense?
In-state QB talent
Does South Carolina still

Old 07-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #41
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: Do you need advice on picking a Premier League team?

Suarez will be gone by the start of this year .
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #42
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Suarez will be gone by the start of this year .
Looking that way. As long as they don't give Barcelona a cut rate price and we get in a reasonable replacement I'll be happy. Barcelona's opening offer was around 60 and Liverpool was asking for 45 plus Sanchez. A lot will depend on if Sanchex wants to go to Liverpool and if he doesn't will Barcelona cough up another 30 in cash.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #43
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wait... So who has the more white collar fans.
City or Chelsea?

I know the league, players etc. Don't know much about England or the fan bases.
I would say the only big club with a real white collar fanbase is Fulham. They are based in west London and their stadium is next to the river in a park. Other teams sing, "Does you butler know you're here?" to them. (They have a statue of Micheal Jackson outside of their stadium.)

Like almost all teams in England, Man City and Chelsea are traditionally working class teams, with working class fans, that just happened to be owned by billionaires. (Rugby is actually the game of the educated elite in England.)

If you went into the heart of the financial district in London my guess is that a huge number of people are Man United fans. Kind of like the Yankees on Wall St.

If it were me, and I was to pick a club based on money it would be Man City. Great stadium. Great fans. Great owner. Fantastic players. Fun town to visit. Great kits.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #44
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I would say the only big club with a real white collar fanbase is Fulham. They are based in west London and their stadium is next to the river in a park. Other teams sing, "Does you butler know you're here?" to them. (They have a statue of Micheal Jackson outside of their stadium.)

Like almost all teams in England, Man City and Chelsea are traditionally working class teams, with working class fans, that just happened to be owned by billionaires. (Rugby is actually the game of the educated elite in England.)

If you went into the heart of the financial district in London my guess is that a huge number of people are Man United fans. Kind of like the Yankees on Wall St.

If it were me, and I was to pick a club based on money it would be Man City. Great stadium. Great fans. Great owner. Fantastic players. Fun town to visit. Great kits.
Thanks, this was pretty helpful, as from reading around here although a USC alum, one would probably confuse me as a UNC fan/grad.

Like I said, I am not at all informed on the fan bases of all these teams.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #45
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:

The new owners took it down when Al Fayed sold the team and now Fayed is claiming they got relegated because the statue was a good luck charm and now they are cursed. Personally, I think I would take a year or two in the Championship over the statue. At least now they have a chance of finishing near the top of the table.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #46
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
Here's my question. When you guys started watching the league, how long did it take you to find true feelings (such that you and I probably share about USC sports) about the team. It feels fake just to say, ________ is my favorite team without having any reason/ties to that team. I'm sure if I invested time and money ("kits," scarf, posters, etc) into the team, I'd get those true fan feelings, but it just seems fake. I did watch a handful of games last season and I found myself pulling for Norwich City because I liked their uniforms (like I'm 5 again)
That is a great question. It took me a few years to get into it, and my team, West Ham United, had just been relegated. Promotion to the EPL is one of the best feelings ever for a fan. Now, Ive been over to West Ham about 10 times and have a real love of the team...even though that is quite difficult at times.

I like your choice of Norwich (pronounced Naaarich over there). Good local club. Never going to win anything, but they play an atractive style and have fantastic kits.

And, so what, if you choose a team b/c you like their colors? That's as good a reason as any to pick a team that you don't, and will NEVER, have a familial or geographical relation to.

Of the teams that came up this year, I think Burnley are most similar to NCFC. VERY passionate following and a good local club. Very much a "yo-yo" team though.

Last edited by Nureye; 07-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #47
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Like I said, I am not at all informed on the fan bases of all these teams.

That's why I started this thread. Hope it helps. Watch a few games this fall and see what team suits you best.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #48
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

My advice is to let the team pick you. It took me at least two years of watching EPL regularly to chose a team (Spurs; OP is bonkers). I flirted with Aston Villa, Everton and Liverpool during this time as well but ultimately Tottenham was marriage material (last year was a rough year for the marriage, though!).

I do like a handful of other teams, as well, but they are secondary. It's fun to have a rooting interest at the bottom of the table so that the relegation fight feels interesting. This year, I was a big Crystal Palace fan as far as that goes. I'd say that the following teams are in my list of favorites.

Swansea City
Aston Villa (been a rough few years recently, but the club has a strong history)
Everton
Southampton
Liverpool
Newcastle

I don't like Stoke at all (even though I still like Crouchy).
Transmaniacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #49
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
That's why I started this thread. Hope it helps. Watch a few games this fall and see what team suits you best.
I've been following the league for about 4 years now.

I know the players what teams are the best etc (mostly because of fantasy epl)

I don't have a team I just enjoy watching the sport but I wanted to see from someone like yourself where I would find a fan base close to myself.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'll bite.
I've watched Premier League the last few years, but haven't got a rooting interest.

Other pro sports teams I support:
Spurs (NBA)
Braves and White Sox (MLB)
Buccaneers and Ravens (NFL)

I do enjoy watching the German national team...precise, physical play...not always the top dogs (abhore teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, Celtics, Red Sox).

Teams that have some form of American interest.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #51
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'll bite.
I've watched Premier League the last few years, but haven't got a rooting interest.
...Teams that have some form of American interest.
If the "American interest" thing isn't that big of a deal, then you should go with Arsenal.

Though, the majority owner of Arsenal is Stan Kroenke...so maybe that's enough of an American connection for you. (He is the owner of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which includes the Denver Nuggets , Colorado Rapids, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League and St. Louis Rams)

They win the league and Cups sometimes, but aren't top dogs every year, Although, they are always in the hunt. They also always seem to find a way to get into the Champions League. Have a great new stadium and a reputation for being a well run club.

They are now known for a very specific and eye-pleasing style of play thanks to their manager Arsne Wenger. Before him it was all "boot-it" type soccer.

Good fans , and a lot of people's "second team."
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #52
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Do you need advice on picking a Premier League team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'll bite.

Other pro sports teams I support:
Spurs (NBA)
Braves and White Sox (MLB)
Buccaneers and Ravens (NFL)

I do enjoy watching the German national team...precise, physical play...not always the top dogs (abhore teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, Celtics, Red Sox).

Teams that have some form of American interest.

Everton would probably be the biggest choice for most of you tbh. Everton plays a style of Soccer that resembles the Spurs a good bit. They are a very like able club. They have always been a team just on the outside looking in on the top 4. Came oh so close this year but glad they didn't make it or my beloved arsenal would have been out of Champs League. If I wasn't so attached to Arsenal Everton would certainly be my club.

If by chance you guys do start to get an interest in Everton watch out for Ross Barkley 21-22 yr old in midfield that will light it up this upcoming year for them. If Martinez brings in a few more pieces I see them fighting for top 4 again!! Would love to see them knock Chelsea or Pool out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #53
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
If the "American interest" thing isn't that big of a deal, then you should go with Arsenal. Though, the majority owner of Arsenal is Stan Kroenke...so maybe that's enough of an American connection for you. (He is the owner of Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which includes the Denver Nuggets , Colorado Rapids, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Mammoth of the National Lacrosse League and St. Louis Rams)

They win the league and Cups sometimes, but aren't top dogs every year, Although, they are always in the hunt. They also always seem to find a way to get into the Champions League. Have a great new stadium and a reputation for being a well run club.

They are now known for a very specific and eye-pleasing style of play thanks to their manager Arsne Wenger. Before him it was all "boot-it" type soccer.

Good fans , and a lot of people's "second team."
I'll have to admit, if I wasn't a Liverpool fan, I would probably be an Arsenal fan. If Wenger ever loosens up the purse strings they could do some real damage.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #54
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 541
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Can't go wrong with Liverpool. Just don't get too close to Suarez around lunchtime!
Ha! My girl always tells me I have huge teeth and could bite the sh!t outa someone. Me and Suarez might get along. haha

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #55
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
If Wenger ever loosens up the purse strings .
Thats a good one...
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #56
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
Everton would probably be the biggest choice for most of you tbh. Everton plays a style of Soccer that resembles the Spurs a good bit. They are a very like able club. They have always been a team just on the outside looking in on the top 4. Came oh so close this year but glad they didn't make it or my beloved arsenal would have been out of Champs League. If I wasn't so attached to Arsenal Everton would certainly be my club.

If by chance you guys do start to get an interest in Everton watch out for Ross Barkley 21-22 yr old in midfield that will light it up this upcoming year for them. If Martinez brings in a few more pieces I see them fighting for top 4 again!! Would love to see them knock Chelsea or Pool out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be careful what you wish for. Last time the Toffees tried to knock Liverpool out of the Champions League it almost cost them their spot and then they couldn't even make it into the group stage. Martinez has them playing very well though. Excellent replacement for Moyes. Still a little early to call it an upgrade, but if year two is as good as year one I may change my mind on that pretty quick. Liverpool almost hired him the year before, but I think he was aking for more control over transfers than they were willing to hand over.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #57
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

So Brad Guzan, the heir apparent to Tim Howard in goal, was a Gamecock???? Man I feel so dumb for not knowing this.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #58
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I'll bite:

- I despise the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and any team that gathers a bandwagon following after a string of success...with winning being the only connection that fan has to the team.

- I don't always pull for the underdog, but I enjoy seeing teams that have suffered in the past have a good year...i.e. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pirates/Reds win the World Series, the Lions/Chiefs in NFL, sometimes along those lines. It makes it easy for me to pull for a team like the Rays, they do a lot with a little.

- With that same breath, I can't stand mediocrity year after year: Cubs, Jets.

- Can't stand to see one player dominate a team...on the field or in headlines. Or teams that constantly load up the best players to make a run for a championship.

- Having American ties and players would be nice.

- Most people wouldn't care, but a good brand identity would be nice to see.

- Maybe I prefer a team that attacks more and is about offense more than defense. Don't get me wrong, seeing Tim Howard defend all those goals is nice...but I respect the ability for that offense to attack much more. USMNT was boring on offense and I don't think I could stand that much, I enjoyed offenses we played against (Germany, Ghana, Portugal) and felt we scored off luck a bit rather than skill. I'd rather see a 4-3 game than a 1-0 or 0-0 game any day. This isn't usually the case for me in football.

I have the Tampa Bay Rowdies in my area, but I've never went to a game before. Anyone know much about them? I know the MLS franchise failed here years ago.

I took this test: http://www.selectsmart.com/premier/ but will wait to see what you guys think before I tell the results.

ColaCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #59
eggroll
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 50000
eggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talonseggroll has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
So Brad Guzan, the heir apparent to Tim Howard in goal, was a Gamecock???? Man I feel so dumb for not knowing this.
Guzan was at SC between 2003 and 04.

I think Guzan has been Howard's international team understudy for 12 years now. That's sorta like when Fritz Hollings served in the Senate for 36 years and was the junior senator from SC.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #60
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

The buzzfeed quiz said I should be a Liverpool fan.
The gq one really didn't give much because I didn't really identify with any of their 10 slides.
The one ColaCock just posted matched me at 100% for Everton, Tottenham Hotspur, and West Ham United.

Gotta love online quizzes.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote