CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Acockolypse Now
sporkgod50
StormOfTalons
COCKYTALKIN
b381l
thekob
Rooster'srule
auslander
davisd9
An Aggies View of th (1532)
Elcid99 (1466)
Tennessee (1060)
Erin Murray's brothe (667)
Question on Student (621)
Clowney in Practice (530)
Bad movies that are (450)
Camp scheduled relea (420)
John Abraham DUI (388)
PSU drops a prospect (310)
Green and Lammons
PSU drops a prospect beca
Best Offensive "Trip
Mizzou WR suspended for s
Elcid99
John Abraham DUI
2015 - Zack Bailey
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
Travelle Warton retires
Tennessee

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming Queen 2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Non-Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 10200
Natalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Natalie83 Send a message via Yahoo to Natalie83 Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie83
Default Happy 100th birthday Al Nellis!

I know most of you have no idea who Al Nellis is but to the Hoskins family he was a very important man. He was our grandfather. I know khosk has done a tribute thread to him before and RGHoskins made a thread for him when he was inducted to the SC Athletic Hall of Fame in 2008. Well now it's my turn, my grandfather always wanted to live to see 100, unfortunately he passed one month shy of his 95th birthday but that isn't stopping me and my brothers from celebrating him and his life. My oldest brother, Rob is throwing a little family get together tonight in honor of his memory. Anyways, I just wanted to make a thread in tribute of a wonderful and truly extraordinary man. I have no videos of him but I know Khosk does and Cockyhoskins might also, I hope they will see fit to post one or a thousand.

Here is a little, just a tad about my grandfather's life:

Born in Grosse Isle, Michigan on August 14, 1909, he was the son of Frank and Mary Nellis. Mr. Nellis attended Western Michigan University where he was a member of the tennis team for four years and he served as captain of the team in his senior year. He also was a member of the marching band. After college, Mr. Nellis spent his career as a public school teacher in the Michigan Public School System until his retirement in 1975. In addition to teaching, he served as Tennis Coach and Athletic Director for Riverview High School in Riverview Michigan. After his retirement in 1975 he moved to Greenville where he served as a substitute teacher for the Greenville County School System and later served as a crossing guard at Mitchell Road Elementary School. Throughout his life, Mr. Nellis constantly pursued his love of tennis, athletics, and music. He won countless tennis championships, tournaments, and titles at the Local, State and National level. After his move to Greenville, he continued to pursue his love of tennis and music, but he added marathon running and participation in the Senior Olympics to his repertoire. At the age of 81, he completed his last full marathon. In over 20 years participating in the Senior Olympics, Mr. Nellis won numerous gold, silver and bronze medals at both the State and National level with his most recent medals coming in the 2004 South Carolina Senior Olympics. He was honored as both State and National Senior Atalete of the Year on several occasions.
Mr. Nellis was a member of Lee Road United Methodist Church and of his accomplishments, he was most proud of the fact that he had not missed attending a Church service on any Sunday from 1960 until his death. He was also a former choir member and a member of the United Methodist Men.

Here is a poem that my grandfather had publish and I think it sums up the way he felt but he did a lot more than "just be around":

"Enough to Be Around"

Some want to be rich
And make a big sound
It's enough for me
Just to be around

Happiness is Life
And Happiness is found
When you find you're happy
Just to be around

-A poem by Al Nellis
published in Shadows and Light
(The National Library of Poetry)

Last but not least a few photos I have of my grandfather and his family:

This is my grandfather(the baby) and his siblings in 1910.

This is my grandfather being his wonderfully funny self.

My grandfather and his only child, my mother.

My grandfather and his two oldest grandchildren, my brothers, Rob and Ken(khosk is the baby).

This is my grandfather and I.

My grandfather and my parents with my oldest brother's(Rob) family.

So thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this. I just wanted to honor a man who we loved dearly! Happy 100th birthday Grandpa!

Last edited by Natalie83; 08-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Natalie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover
Default Re: Happy 100th birthday Al Nellis!

Absolutely wonderful story Natalie...I know how much of a wonderful man he had to have been...it's wonderful you all still celebrate his life...I can't believe how much your oldest daughter looks like you when you were her age...it's amazing
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming Queen 2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Non-Football Poster of 2009 
Natalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot materialNatalie83 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Natalie83 Send a message via Yahoo to Natalie83 Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocklover View Post
Absolutely wonderful story Natalie...I know how much of a wonderful man he had to have been...it's wonderful you all still celebrate his life...I can't believe how much your oldest daughter looks like you when you were her age...it's amazing
Well he really wanted to make it to one hundred and have a big birthday celebration but unfortunately he passed away five years too early but he had 95 great years and that is more than most get. Oh and my older daughter does look a lot like me just different coloring. Thanks CL.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
MBGCockOld
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 81420865
MBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot material

How old was he in the last pic? That's a sweet beard!
MBGCockOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGCock View Post
How old was he in the last pic? That's a sweet beard!
I think that was right after his 93 birthday. Lol, he had that beard until he died. In fact, he already had it when I was born in 1983. He loved his beard.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
TheMule
Br Ba

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
TheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot materialTheMule is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to TheMule

A wonderful tribute to a terrific man who had his priorities straight. Thanks for sharing Natalie. And Happy 100th Birthday Al!!!

gt
Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.
TheMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

A few pictures I should have added are these two and some with his big necklaces. My grandpa was known for his beard, crazy cars and he use to wear really big medallions on his big gold chain(I can't find any pictures of his necklaces though, they must be inside his shirt). He also had a purple PT cruiser that he had chromed out, not quite as tacky as this one but I don't have pictures of it.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
MEGA
GO SPURRIER AND COMPANY

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: 2nd place 2007 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 50451139
MEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot material

What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather .......thanks for sharing Natalie !!
You are lucky , I never knew my grandfathers they had both passed away before I was born !
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
A wonderful tribute to a terrific man who had his priorities straight. Thanks for sharing Natalie. And Happy 100th Birthday Al!!!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather .......thanks for sharing Natalie !!
You are lucky , I never knew my grandfathers they had both passed away before I was born !
I was very close with him. I never really knew my other grandfather because he lived in Michigan and died when I was 3 but I was lucky to have this grandfather. He took me bowling every single week with him and I went to his house all the time and I remember him walking the two miles to my house all the time for exercise and he would stop in and get his ice water and then be on his way back home and he was well into his 80's then. He was amazing. I can't remember the exact number but I think he could play like 18 different sports and 13 different musical instruments or something insane like that. He always wanted to break a record and I am sure he did at something. He has tons of medals and trophies. He use to mall walk at the Haywood mall and everyone knew who he was and they would always say "I saw your grandpa today mall walking Natalie" or they would see one of his crazy cars. A lot of people knew my grandpa.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
MEGA
GO SPURRIER AND COMPANY

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best USC Fan 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Nascar Challenge: Nascar Challenge Winner - Given for: 2nd place 2007 Nascar Challenge 
CockyCash: 50451139
MEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot materialMEGA is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie83 View Post
Thanks!
I was very close with him. I never really knew my other grandfather because he lived in Michigan and died when I was 3 but I was lucky to have this grandfather. He took me bowling every single week with him and I went to his house all the time and I remember him walking the two miles to my house all the time for exercise and he would stop in and get his ice water and then be on his way back home and he was well into his 80's then. He was amazing. I can't remember the exact number but I think he could play like 18 different sports and 13 different musical instruments or something insane like that. He always wanted to break a record and I am sure he did at something. He has tons of medals and trophies. He use to mall walk at the Haywood mall and everyone knew who he was and they would always say "I saw your grandpa today mall walking Natalie" or they would see one of his crazy cars. A lot of people knew my grandpa.

I have seen him somewhere myself ...........
Old 08-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I have seen him somewhere myself ...........
He worked at the Pavilion pretty much until he died and he mall walked. He was the crossing guard at Mitchell Rd. Elementary until 2004. Oh and he lived in the house at the corner of Howell Rd.(Edwards Rd) and Imperial Dr(the road right before the Bilo at east north and howell, Imperial is on the right) going into Botany Woods. He was always out walking there.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1731674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

thanks for posting nat, i enjoyed reading that, it would have been a honor to have known him
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
thanks for posting nat, i enjoyed reading that, it would have been a honor to have known him
Thanks Johnny.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
RGHoskins
I'm Bad. I'm Nationwide!

Male

CockyCash: 26000805
RGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot materialRGHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to RGHoskins

Happy 100th birthday Grandpa. Great thread Natalie.

- Rick H-

Rest in Peace Jaymie, aka Feistyminx and C- Girl.
RGHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

What great stories & pictures of your grandpa. Thank you for sharing & enjoy getting with the family tonight to honor the life of this wonderful man.
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #16
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Thanks RGH and c-girl. Khosk just showed me how to post videos off of his site but I already forgot. Otherwise, I had some video to add. Oh well, we had a great time in honor of him tonight.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #17
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

I'm glad ya'll had a good time & will be looking forward to the videos too!
c-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #18
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

What a wonderful story! He lived a very fulfilling and meaningful life and should be an inspiration to us all! Thanks for sharing.

Would you happen to have any Nellis relatives that live in Georgia? I went to school with a Nellis.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
Natalie83
Sweet Southern Pearl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEL View Post
What a wonderful story! He lived a very fulfilling and meaningful life and should be an inspiration to us all! Thanks for sharing.

Would you happen to have any Nellis relatives that live in Georgia? I went to school with a Nellis.
I really don't know. Nellis is not a common last name so it's possible but my family is from Michigan and thanks Mel.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
MBGCockOld
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 81420865
MBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot materialMBGCockOld is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie83 View Post
I think that was right after his 93 birthday. Lol, he had that beard until he died. In fact, he already had it when I was born in 1983. He loved his beard.
He look young for 93
MBGCockOld is offline   Reply With Quote