CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
WeStillOwnUSC
TAFC 5 1981
Sir Cuss
kick_ball
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
SwampFox
eightohhthree
Coulwoodwarlord
uniforms saturday (2254)
Auburn looks beatabl (1875)
Vandy Fans (1533)
Three young corners (642)
Watch ESPN3 regional (630)
King - South Carolin (612)
Clemson requires sex (559)
**official Vandy pre (548)
Cardinal's Jonathan (508)
No Vandy Predictions (320)
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Three young corners progr
Next years RB situation
Auburn looks beatable
**official Vandy predicti
Search Snacks
The SEC East schedule fro
Haven't seen one unbeatab
Cardinal's Jonathan Dwyer
Georgia Visitors List - u

Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Greatest idea ever for college football fans

So I'm having college football withdrawal and an idea comes to me. What if the smaller schools (what used to be div 2 and 3) started their season in January? That way, we could have spring and fall football. It would be much more financially beneficial to the schools, as their games would now be televized all day long, instead of almost never. They would get more TV money, fans would get more football, and ESPN would get ratings. As a fan, I could start paying attention to Wofford, Presbyterian, and the other schools in the state. Yeah, they wouldn't get the payday from when they play the big schools, but the TV revenue (along with more butts in the seats and more product sold) would more than make up for it. More tailgating, less expensive ticket, and games for an extra 4 months. They could even do some Sunday games after February to spread out the TV ratings. I think its a great idea.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Greatest idea ever for college football fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
So I'm having college football withdrawal and an idea comes to me. What if the smaller schools (what used to be div 2 and 3) started their season in January? That way, we could have spring and fall football. It would be much more financially beneficial to the schools, as their games would now be televized all day long, instead of almost never. They would get more TV money, fans would get more football, and ESPN would get ratings. As a fan, I could start paying attention to Wofford, Presbyterian, and the other schools in the state. Yeah, they wouldn't get the payday from when they play the big schools, but the TV revenue (along with more butts in the seats and more product sold) would more than make up for it. More tailgating, less expensive ticket, and games for an extra 4 months. They could even do some Sunday games after February to spread out the TV ratings. I think its a great idea.
The last time I checked, those other schools play basketball during that time. Nobody would care about watching lower level football teams. Do you think their fans want to watch football outside in the middle of the winter.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

They could still play basketball. Most of the games are during the week. Plus, you could do something of a double header on Saturday for the schools to help attendance. Or, you could schedule basketball on Sunday.

The schools already play football during December. Starting in January will at least let you warm up a little more each game.

And yes, people would watch it. Its college football at a time of year when we don't have any. It wouldnt get the same ratings as div 1, but it would be watched more than it is now.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Most people would rather watch reruns of big time college football than watch small time football.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Most people would rather watch reruns of big time college football than watch small time football.
I just finished watching a replay of us beating down Clemsux again from last year. Damn, we are going to miss Connor something awful!!!

CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

USFL tried that in the mid 80's.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Don't forget the XFL

Oh wait, you did already....
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It is the limited season that helps make football great.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It is the limited season that helps make football great.
^This. Wouldn't be as special if it were all year long.

Stay patient my friend. It'll be here next month.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Agreed. And they would also rather watch live big time college basketball, professional basketball, etc. etc., all of which would be on television during that season.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

AtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPitAtlGamecock3307 rules the CockPit

I'd rather the nfl start something comprable to the d league or minor leause baseball that played in the fall. I was feinding so bad this weekend I watched most of a cfl game that wasn't even close... With all the talent that goes undrafted or rides the scout team I think there would b a market for it. And the "stars" of the league could work themselves up to the big clubs

Last edited by AtlGamecock3307; 07-07-2014 at 04:02 AM.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGamecock3307 View Post
I'd rather the nfl start something comprable to the d league or minor leause baseball that played in the fall. I was feinding so bad this weekend I watched most of a cfl game that wasn't even close... With all the talent that goes undrafted or rides the scout team I think there would b a market for it. And the "stars" of the league could work themselves up to the big clubs
This would be a good idea. They'd get plenty of CFB fans watching just to see guys from their teams play that didn't quite make it in the NFL. The only issue is infrastructure.

I wonder why minor league FB hasn't really been pursued....I guess because they just don't have to?
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
This would be a good idea. They'd get plenty of CFB fans watching just to see guys from their teams play that didn't quite make it in the NFL. The only issue is infrastructure.

I wonder why minor league FB hasn't really been pursued....I guess because they just don't have to?
Right. The NFL doesn't have to shell out any money for a minor league because the NCAA does that for them.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #14
hank scorpio
Walk On

Male

hank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervoushank scorpio is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
I just finished watching a replay of us beating down Clemsux again from last year. Damn, we are going to miss Connor something awful!!!

Now go watch the replay from two years ago's beat down of clemson and you'll feel better.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote