CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Acockolypse Now
El Cid Ranger
ktguen
StormOfTalons
Coulwoodwarlord
b381l
75CarolinaFan
cocksmith1or11
RGHoskins
SwampFox
Backup QB competitio (2208)
2014 Preseason USA T (1058)
Ranking the SEC Fema (654)
Clowney's Madden Rat (511)
Future Non-Conferenc (444)
Daily Dose of Food P (376)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (363)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (327)
Spurrier on the cove (279)
What Would You Do? (272)
Anyone heard anything abo
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 - Albert Huggins
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Blake McClain
Re-Airing South Carolina
Future Non-Conference Sch
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Backup QB competition
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 07-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #21
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Theory On Why Clemson Loses and We Win

A small part is the environment. Mostly it's better coaching, playing tougher, being better prepared by playing better teams, and just wanting it more.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #22
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

When they come to Cola they're scared, when they are in Clemson, they get dizzy from the bus ride around the trailer park.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #23
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
/thread
I wish someone would post this entire video of your sig gif with sound. I saw it live and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It was in the middle of the segment and the reporter was talking the entire time he was doing that.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 AM   #24
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Their DL has caught up with ours and I would say is probably going to be better than ours this year. On the other hand our OL should be better than theirs so it evens out. The trenches argument is no longer valid, at least for this year. And to be honest, the trenches neutralized last year as well.

I think the OP hit the nail on the head. We are battle tested and we play the BIG games regularly. Clemson has a difficult time transitioning from playing Wake and NC State to us.

Our guys also just seem to KNOW they're going to win, just like Clemson back in the day.
That is an oft followed line this year, but I really doubt it. They have some experienced players back, but they had to use DB's in the box last year to get pressure against good teams, including a very mediocre NC State whose QB couldn't complete a simple pass to open receivers several times. Our DL caught a lot of heat last year due to poor LB play that our coaches acknowledged during the season. They will have one of the best DL in the ACC - that's all. This year, we will have DL performance without stars, but excellent DT depth and DE's who will rotate situationally as well. Can't wait to see these guys in games.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 AM   #25
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

How many bowl winners did Clemson beat last year? The ACC was like 3-6, and the only bowl winners they faced were FL St (kaboom) and an unranked 7-6 Syracuse who beat Minn. They had a good team, but their DL didn't measure up against top teams. Remember, in their signature win against Ohio St, they gave up 35 points to a team that lost the turnover battle 4-2.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #26
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

My theory: We score more points because we are better than them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:34 AM   #27
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous

I think it is multiple reasons.

The SEC.

We play hard games every week even with the bottom rung teams. On any Saturday, any team in the SEC can beat any team in the SEC. You cannot say that about the ACC.

Physical Strength.

The first three quarters of the game are always played close. By the fourth quarter, we've worn them out and put the game away. This also goes back to playing in the SEC, you must play all four quarters. Our athletes are in better shape.

Coaching.

We out coach them plain and simple. Steve Spurrier is on everyone's list as one of the best college football coaches ever. Ever. Dabo won Coach of the Year then went and got smoked in the Orange Bowl by the most points ever. Ever.

And lastly and my favorite......Steve Spurrier is in Dabo's head.

He owns Dabo's head ispo facto, he owns every player on the team.

That stupid countdown clock isn't doing anyone any favors.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #28
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

They may have caught up on DL, for this one year, but our OL is vastly superior to theirs. Not even close.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #29
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I agree our physicality definitely is the difference, but it isn't just from playing in the SEC, or we'd have been doing this since the 90's. I think we have finally gotten the depth on the roster to survive the SEC schedule and come into the Clemson game with the advantage the tough grind has created. Before our starters were good enough to play with anyone but after a few injuries and whatnot, we weren't nearly as good as we could be. On the other hand, Clemson was playing a less demanding schedule which allowed them to play at a higher level than USC.

Also never underestimate what winning does for end of season performance. The same team at 6-5 plays totally different than if they won a couple close games and are 9-2. The confidence and excitement is there for game 12 that wouldn't be there with a 6-5 team.
Yeah, I remember when we'd brag about being in the SEC, but when we lost to clem5on, we'd make the excuse that we were too beat up from our tough schedule(and have injuries, as you said) to play them a good game. clem5on would ridicule us about that.

Now, well now that we're winning in the SEC and, as you say, we're coming out of the league schedule with fewer injuries, more depth, and making mince meat of clem5on, their fans aren't ridiculing us anymore. In fact, if you go on their message boards after we beat them, they'll talk about how they want clem5on to be in the SEC, because this has made us tougher.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #30
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Opening at Georgia and traveling to Fla St. on week three, CU could easily be 1-2 when the 3-0 high heels arrive to dance in the valley (assuming they win at ECU - a lofty assumption). While da boy is Spurrier's boy, what I don't understand is how CU owns our nemesis Auburn.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #31
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

No doubt being able to recruit players who want to play in the best college football conference helps us in the recruiting wars. We are at least keeping on par with Clemson in the star systems and national recruiting rankings. Perhaps our coaches are also better at picking out players with potential. Something is working well in the recruiting area.

But if you made me pick a different factor that was also at work (besides the crowd issue I am sticking with), I would pick Craig Fitzgerald's conditioning program. Connolly has continued it. Clemson is still using an old fashioned S&C system, which gives us a great advantage over player development, including development of our depth.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
No doubt being able to recruit players who want to play in the best college football conference helps us in the recruiting wars. We are at least keeping on par with Clemson in the star systems and national recruiting rankings. Perhaps our coaches are also better at picking out players with potential. Something is working well in the recruiting area.

But if you made me pick a different factor that was also at work (besides the crowd issue I am sticking with), I would pick Craig Fitzgerald's conditioning program. Connolly has continued it. Clemson is still using an old fashioned S&C system, which gives us a great advantage over player development, including development of our depth.
Could you go into further depth on this? Are you saying that our exercises are more efficient in some way in developing body mass and conditioning that clem5on?
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #33
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I'm not sure we're better at creating body mass, I'd say we focus more on functional strength and conditioning.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #34
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I'm convinced that the freshman Class of 2009 was the key to what
turned this program and the rivalry around, and in our favor. It goes (IMO)
beyond just the talent in that class. We've had talented Classes in the
past. I think we found a group of leaders in that class that pass on the
right kind of instructions to those that came behind them. ... I also think
very strongly that the core was the talented kids we pulled in from this
state. Stephon Gilmore, Devonte Holloman, Damario Jeffery, Alshon Jeffery,
DJ Swearinger, Justice Cunningham .... Grew up steeped in the rivalry, and
were highly recruited by both schools. Once they signed with SC, they knew
well about the Clemson/SC game and got busy putting their talent towards
making the Gamecocks the better school in the rivalry game. They
came from a time in SC football where a lot of their rivals in HS and
even some on their own team, went to Clemson, so there was an added
incentive to prove they were not only the better player in the State in
HS, but could take that to the next level against their rivals in college.

Whatever it was, I know it was that class that sparked the program, and
gave Spurrier a twinkle in his eye about play calling with a very deep and
very talented team.

I said for years when talking about the Clemson / Carolina rivalry that
in order for us to turn it around, SC would need to run off three / four
wins in a row, and I said at the time, that one of them would have to
be a "DECISIVE" win (by 25-30 points or more). We didn't get that major
blowout I thought we needed, but running off 5 in a row by double digit
margins, against the best team Clemson has put together since Danny
Ford and the 80s, was a HUGE Factor in SC's ability to change what
was in regards to the rivalry game from our standpoint. I really think it
was 80% mental most of those years. It took a run of 3-4 games and
all by more than 10 points to get the old way of approaching the game
out of the player's heads, and now they approach it as "we are the
better program in this rivalry and this state, and if you want to change
that...... better pack a lunch and plan on some overtime"

It would be ridiculous to say we will never lose again. .. .We will lose
a game at some point soon. But I would be willing to bet that we've
seen then end of those 3/1 -4/1 Clemson win ratios again. This rivalry
will become more of a rivalry from this point forward, and I think the
class of 2009 was the foundation of the turnaround.
I concur that the 2009 class was a key but that class joined classes from 2005-2008 to form that nucleus. The recruiting had already been done it was picking the difference guys to go with what we had. The 2009 team did not win on their own and it is a slight to the other classes of that year to not credit a more expansive group of young men. I think 2009 was the plugin that made the others go, but the talent was here then too. JMO
Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
FWIW, I asked Spurrier this question after the 2012 season when we won our 4th in a row. He said we had better depth now than we did before. We have enough depth to go through a brutal SEC schedule and still have more talent on the field than Clempson. Moreover, he felt several of the years prior to 2009 we had the better team to start the season but nothing left when the Clempson game rolled around. What gives me confidence this year is that we have the most returning letterman of any college team in major football. Think about that.
If that is Spurrier's theory, it's definitely the one I am going with. Makes a lot of sense too.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #36
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

It's pretty simple IMO and I can answer the question in two words:

Clemson soft.

I think it's pretty obvious why they are soft, but if you need further explanation...

Their S&C consists of jumping jacks and jazzercise.

Their schedule is 80% high school teams.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Could you go into further depth on this? Are you saying that our exercises are more efficient in some way in developing body mass and conditioning that clem5on?
I Googled the article below to explain in better detail, but it's two different styles. I want to say the one USC uses is Olympic style weight lifting. Clemson has a name along the lines of Power weight lifting. Olympic style weight lifting is about creating quick burst, and speed strength. It's been proven that style is best suited for the football field. I want to say BAMA uses that style as well.

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...aining-method/

Here is a quote from the article, all credit goes to the articles.elitefts.com and Sabatini. Might explain all the knee injuries as well that we have :P

"
Sabatini: The most important aspect of Olympic weightlifting as it pertains to athletic performance is power specific force development or “speed strength.” Olympic style training involves “using heavy loads that are performed at a high velocity resulting in a high power output” (Hoffman, et al 2004). The term speed strength combines two very crucial attributes of athletic performance to express “power development.” An athlete’s power capacity includes “maximum strength, high load speed strength, low load speed strength, rate of force development, reactive strength, skill performance, and power endurance” (Hori & Stone 2004).

Through the training of Olympic lifts, athletes can increase their speed strength. This is done specifically because “during the pull phase of the clean and snatch as well as the drive phase of the jerk athletes extend their hips, knees, and ankle joints to push against the ground as hard and as rapidly as possible producing acceleration on the body and the barbell, which is done remarkably similar to jumping” (Hori & Stone 2004). Also, functional core strength is developed due to the large amount of overhead activity and movements with high loads away from the body’s center of gravity. Different training methods are used to increase performance by becoming stronger and faster. Specifically, different sports require different demands. One sport may ask, “How strong?” Another may ask, “How fast?” However, in terms of Olympic weightlifting, the question becomes, “How fast are you strong?”
"
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I really think it is difference in league competition.
The ACC has become a spread, finese league...that is one reason why Florida State is dominating again..besides having superior talent, FSU plays a more physical game...the current FSU team could play in the SEC.

Clemson on the other hand is the apex of what an ACC team is...quick, spread offense but isn't all that physical at the point of attack.

I also think Ward has Morris figured out...and Venables has no idea how to stop Spurrier's offense.

Better coaching, better prepared, better player development...that is why Carolina beat Clemson the last five years. Talent is actually pretty even, and in some positions, Clemson is better.

But Clemson's staff has regular proven they can get 5-star guys but don't develop them. Carolina gets three-star guys and develops them and gets 5-star effort.

Case in point, DJ Swearinger and Connor Shaw. Both 3-star guys, but outplayed 4 and 5-star guys at Clemson.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

I think its a combination of rapid pace play calling from Chad Morris and our commitment to power running. The time of possession for the last few years has been in our favor, if the clemson offense isnt productive their defense gets worn our while ours rests. Its the same game plan every year and Clemson hasnt figured it out.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #40
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote