CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
75CarolinaFan
sanford
b381l
Aggie96
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
WeStillOwnUSC
U-Dub Gamecock
Regalcock
Sidney Rice Retiring (1216)
Dan Patrick Show - P (559)
ESPN Insider (483)
Pictures of older Co (396)
Places to eat in Con (232)
Bonefish Grill (229)
SOS Dominating SEC M (220)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (186)
This Song is the F'i (165)
What Are The Most Im (139)
Predict Clemson 2014
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Green and Lammons
Another A&M aggie off
Texags
ESPN Insider
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Ace suspended 4 games
Places To Eat In Beufort
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Latti2001
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1700
Latti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his claws
Default What happened to Black Magic???

Is black magic no more? I thought it was much more catchy than "showcase"
Latti2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervousNCgamecock1981 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: What happened to Black Magic???

Was hoping this would be a uniform thread about black jerseys...
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I'm glad they ditched that name for the camp.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Latti2001
Recruit

Male

Latti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his clawsLatti2001 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
I'm glad they ditched that name for the camp.
Why???? Why did they ditch it? Showcase is weak vs black magic!
Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Politics.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Latti2001
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Politics.
I was hoping that wasn't the answer! Was it to be politically correct?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

When I initially saw the title, I thought it was going to say what happened to Blake Mitchell.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Black Magic was the perfect name.
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Eh, I don't know...
Black Magic refers to a specific era that was like 20 years ago. I agree Gamecock Showcase is pretty weak, but I don't know if Black Magic really resonates, either
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
Eh, I don't know...
Black Magic refers to a specific era that was like 20 years ago. I agree Gamecock Showcase is pretty weak, but I don't know if Black Magic really resonates, either
I think that Black Magic went along with the fire ants era....where we wore all black uniforms alot, especially for big games. I don't think that Spurrier likes all black uniforms much. I think he once said we lost too many games in all black. He likes traditional red and white uniform combination and he also likes all red or all white as well.
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
Eh, I don't know...
Exactly my feeling about it. Most of the kids we're recruiting don't have a clue what that name actually refers back to. And then as far as just a branding tool to generate excitement for our camp .... it just doesn't get the job done I think. Showcase is not a great name either, but at least it's been the name long enough that kids know what it means to be invited to that camp now. If you're going to give that benefit up just for a more distinctive name, pick something that actually gets kids excited.

Plus, "black magic" might actually have a very specific meaning to USC and the fans, but to non-fans hearing that phrase who don't know any of that ... what exactly is the message we're selling? When we're actively telling people about the family atmosphere and nature of the team (especially since we're recruiting against preacher Dabo), why would you pick a name that, objectively, brings up connotations of witchcraft and devil worship? It doesn't strike me in that way at all, but what's the good of even going there? Do a quick google search of the phrase "black magic" and see what kind of results you get.

Stick with the known name, Showcase, or think about the kind of brand you're trying to sell when picking a new name.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:24 AM   #12
Latti2001
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Exactly my feeling about it. Most of the kids we're recruiting don't have a clue what that name actually refers back to. And then as far as just a branding tool to generate excitement for our camp .... it just doesn't get the job done I think. Showcase is not a great name either, but at least it's been the name long enough that kids know what it means to be invited to that camp now. If you're going to give that benefit up just for a more distinctive name, pick something that actually gets kids excited.

Plus, "black magic" might actually have a very specific meaning to USC and the fans, but to non-fans hearing that phrase who don't know any of that ... what exactly is the message we're selling? When we're actively telling people about the family atmosphere and nature of the team (especially since we're recruiting against preacher Dabo), why would you pick a name that, objectively, brings up connotations of witchcraft and devil worship? It doesn't strike me in that way at all, but what's the good of even going there? Do a quick google search of the phrase "black magic" and see what kind of results you get.

Stick with the known name, Showcase, or think about the kind of brand you're trying to sell when picking a new name.

Yeah, but "showcase" sounds like something a bunch of fifth graders would call it if they only had 30 seconds to think of a name.
Think about the names of other recruiting events in the SEC:
Dog night
Friday nights light
Showcase is generic and weak.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:59 AM   #13
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

Absfract has hatched from the shell

Agreed, "Showcase" is weak... time to send someone in marketing packing.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

This is what happened

roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote