CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
Cockhornleghorn
ccured
SanAntonioCock
6pack
robgusc76
The Yancey
FLgamecockJAX
Cockadoo
Sad Manziel saga (1249)
Montray Feaster? (1039)
2017 - Cordavien Sug (913)
Just made the switch (691)
2018 - Tank Jenkins (545)
2017 - Tedarrell Sla (434)
2016 - Chandler Farr (269)
You want a piece of (263)
Louisville Postseaso (254)
2016 Signee??-Montra (225)
Sad Manziel saga
Gamecocks top SEC Fall 20
**USC Women (21-0) vs. Ke
***2015 Carolina Panthers
My first youtube video to
Official 2015 - 2016 NBA
2017 First Junior Day Feb
Soup Beans
Louisville Postseason Ban
2016 Signee - Randrecous

Old 02-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
gotrice?
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6190
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Gotrice's Quick look at the class of 2016 and more indepth look at the class of 2017

Everyone is going to have different opinions of different players for the 2016 class that we just brought in. My opinion is the coaches did a great job addressing some huge needs and keeping our most important commits in the fold. Our WR position got a desperately needed talent upgrade and I expect 2 or 3 of our freshmen to break the 2 deep. The OL class was a bit light in terms of top tier talent but fortunately last year’s class was very strong so these guys will have some time to develop. The DL got some added depth and potential future starters and Brunson looks to me to be the steal of our defensive recruits. I don’t think we’re done recruiting in the secondary and only time will tell if I’m right there. Overall a very solid class and incredible work from our staff to salvage it.

Now the main part of the post, we’ve hit the 2017 cycle! I will be very interested to see a few things now that our coaches are going to have a full year to work instead of 2 months.

1. Can we have a consistent presence in South Florida with TRob leading the charge? If we can that will open us up to one of the most talented areas in the country with both stud recruits and under the radar guys that have the potential to be stars. I think TRob has what it takes to make us a consistent presence.

2. Will Shawn Elliot change up his OL recruiting style, specifically at the OT position? In the past Elliot seems to load up more on the interior OL types and sometimes transition them out to OT. We’ve had some notable exceptions like Pellage and Shell but I’d like to see more prototypical LT prospects targeted more frequently. Generally if a guy can’t work out at LT he can at RT or even shift inside so it gives quite a bit of versatility to every LT prospect we go after.

3. We need to establish the state of Carolina. I’m hoping to see us treat NC like an instate territory from here on out. We are the closest SEC team in terms of proximity for most of the talent rich parts of that state and we need to take advantage of it. We need to be recruiting it relentlessly, and a lot of that will fall on Bentley who has the Charlotte region which is critical.

4. Can we take advantage of Clemson’s success? It sounds like it doesn’t make sense but Clemson is recruiting nationally now and we are going to have a chance to make serious inroads with most instate prospects because they will be a backup plan initially for Clemson. Look at Shi and OrTre Smith who would be the center to a strong WR corp class, both are backup plans for Clemson. We need to strike hard and fast in the state and lock up as much of the talent that we can while Clemson’s focus is elsewhere because if they miss on a few recruits at different positions they will turn some of their focus back to SC, and I want them to find mostly solidly committed Gamecock players that they want to go after but have no success doing so.

My view on the 2017 class overall is pretty optimistic. While the instate crop isn’t mind blowing it appears to be rock solid and I’d expect to see some guys get ratings boosts as the year goes on through camps and senior seasons. I also think we have the potential to nail down quite a bit of the top 10 instate because Clemson is focused elsewhere. Then you have a state like GA where I expect to see some success from McClendon due to ties that he has acquired during his time at UGA. I like the much more national view we seem to be taking in terms of sending out scholarship offers, it seems if our coaches like a prospect they are going to throw their hat in the ring and give it some effort to see if something comes of it even if the chances are small. That is going to pay some dividends down the road because all it takes is landing a couple of difference makers you weren’t expected to land to really change the outlook of a recruiting class.
One thing I do want to caution people against is getting their hopes up on every single recruit that visits here on officials. I think you’re going to see us use a much higher number of OVs than the last staff did which means the hit rate is going to be substantially lower. It’s the bad part about throwing your hat in the ring and going all out for prospects that are long shots, you miss a good number of them. However, the misses aren’t going to be devastating because we’ll have other guys lined up and eventually we’ll get some of them on board.

My guess for where the 2017 class finishes up is in the 10-15 range if we can make a bowl game this season. It could be a bit higher or lower but I think 10-15 is a solid range to predict. Keep in mind that the difference between the highest 3 star and lowest 4 star doesn’t appear to be large but depending on which end of that you wind up on with a few players can affect your ranking quite a few spots.

Offensively my hope is that Bentley ends up being our QB. I’d anticipate us taking 2 RBs, both probably out of state guys. Given the guys Bentley has been offering we are going hunting for some highly sought after backs. At WR I really really want to land the Smith’s and it is very possible, though even with Clemson taking a more national look we are going to have competition from the likes of UGA, UT, ect. On top of the Smith’s I’d think we would take 1 maybe 2 more WRs. OL is going to be a fun group to watch because I expect the mold of some of these prospects we’re going after to change a bit at the tackle spot. Who exactly we end up bringing in there, currently your guess is as good as mine but I have a feeling we’ll have a better idea by the end of the month as the coaches start to make 2017 the main priority.

Defensively I’m thinking there will be a few instate DL to join the list between Rudolph and Johnson (who could be committing soon) while going hard after some national studs as well. The DL/Buck will always be a point of emphasis while Muschamp is the man in charge. I think you will see a bit more numbers at LB than we saw last year and would really hope that Duce’s son is one of them given the great stats he has put up and being a legacy. The DB class IMO will be make or break for the defensive class this year IMO. We need to go out and land some serious studs in the secondary. Unforunately the top safety in the state, Devontre Robinson is probably a Clemson lean and a Clemson take at this point. Still we have time to get back in the game with him. Cann is another good safety prospect instate. We are definitely going to have to go out of state for our CB needs, King was a good stopgap but we’re going to need to load up on some elite CBs, fortunately we’ve got the recruiter to do that.

As always discussion is definitely welcomed. Hopefully in the coming months we’ll start to a good idea of who our main targets are at each position. It’s going to be a fun Class of 2017 IMO. #SpursUp
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
b381l
Jersey Retired

Male

CockyCash: 999710616
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Gotrice's Quick look at the class of 2016 and more indepth look at the class of 2

First, I will be very interested to see what our JR day looks like next Saturday and how many offers come out of that.......including maybe a couple of commits. I wouldn't be shocked if that happens. I know there have already been some 2017 offers but I am expecting more.....and these names could very well give us a look at the nucleus of the 2017 class.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
gamecockclint
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
gamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPit
Default Re: Gotrice's Quick look at the class of 2016 and more indepth look at the class of 2

Who do you think are some candidates for early commitments? Would Damani Staley or one of the Smiths be possible? I can't wait to see how this class unfolds.
gamecockclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
gotrice?
2nd Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockclint View Post
Who do you think are some candidates for early commitments? Would Damani Staley or one of the Smiths be possible? I can't wait to see how this class unfolds.
Johnson comes to mind right now in terms of a soon to be commit. He could pull the trigger at Junior Day on the 13th. As for more I'm not sure, I could definitely see it happen but no one I'd feel confident projecting. I'd think the Smith's would commit somewhere in the Summer or early football season but right now I don't think most recruits even fully know their own recruiting game plan as far as when they plan to commit at this point.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 750000
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Nice write up Gotrice?

Muschamp said that he considers Charlotte, Atlanta, and Jacksonville as instate recruiting grounds since its only a 3-4 hour drive. He went on to say that anything inside of 300 miles he considers our territory. So that kind of answers your NC recruiting question. I just hope he doesn't mind stretching that 300 miles a bit to include the Tidewater region of VA. With the way VT and VA are going, there are a lot of fertile schools in that should be ripe for USC.

I am a bit concerned about the RB position though. I know we have quite a few but with very little pickup in the 2016 class, it feels though there is a week link in 2016. I guess they consider that position one that a very good back can come in and be an early contributor.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
gamecockclint
Blue Chip

Male

gamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPitgamecockclint rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Johnson comes to mind right now in terms of a soon to be commit. He could pull the trigger at Junior Day on the 13th. As for more I'm not sure, I could definitely see it happen but no one I'd feel confident projecting. I'd think the Smith's would commit somewhere in the Summer or early football season but right now I don't think most recruits even fully know their own recruiting game plan as far as when they plan to commit at this point.
Forgive my ignorance gotrice but who is Johnson? I looked at the 2017 offer list but didn't see him.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
cds9461
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 379
cds9461 has hatched from the shell

Do we know who is coming next weekend?

cds9461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 750000
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance gotrice but who is Johnson? I looked at the 2017 offer list but didn't see him.
I know....its a real mystery.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
gotrice?
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Brad Johnson out of Pendleton HS. 4* DE and #5 player in the state by the 247 composite ranking.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #10
fridayserv
Blue Chip

Male

fridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot materialfridayserv is USC mascot material

Gotrice great write-up!!! There is a kid at North Augusta DE 6'7 255 lbs. Projected to be in the top 10 in the country. Tre Lawson I think is his name. Do you know if we are recruiting him. A friend told me Alabama, Georgia, FSU Clemson and others are on him for next year. Also, do you know of any plans to handle these kids that may have trouble getting in Carolina. Or any Juco players that may be of interest.
fridayserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
gamecockclint
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Brad Johnson out of Pendleton HS. 4* DE and #5 player in the state by the 247 composite ranking.
Totally forgot about him. He'd be a great addition to Dailey and Register.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #12
gotrice?
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayserv View Post
Gotrice great write-up!!! There is a kid at North Augusta DE 6'7 255 lbs. Projected to be in the top 10 in the country. Tre Lawson I think is his name. Do you know if we are recruiting him. A friend told me Alabama, Georgia, FSU Clemson and others are on him for next year. Also, do you know of any plans to handle these kids that may have trouble getting in Carolina.
We've offered him I'm pretty sure. He is actually unranked currently but I expect him to be pretty well rated in the next few months. Maybe not 5* but 4* sounds fair for a ranking for him, but if he goes crazy in camps/senior year/all-star games it could happen.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
b381l
Jersey Retired

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think he meant Jackson as in JC Jackson (potential mystery CB).....or Brad Johnson

I haven't seen any lists of potential attendees for next week's JR Day.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
gotrice?
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I think he meant Jackson as in JC Jackson (potential mystery CB).....or Brad Johnson

I haven't seen any lists of potential attendees for next week's JR Day.
Both Smith's and Robinson will all be on campus at some point next week. One Smith is coming in Wednesday going to meet with the coaches then catch the LSU game. The other Smith and Robinson are coming to the Junior Day.
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #15
b381l
Jersey Retired

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cds9461 View Post
Do we know who is coming next weekend?
not yet