CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
roosterdude21
SECgamecock453
NinjaSven
ESPN Game Day Commen (1461)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1321)
Simple "yes&quo (1310)
Phil Steele just pre (975)
The Comeback & T (764)
TeMarcus Blanton (591)
Garcia: Change the R (579)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Wallpaper & Back (239)
Instrumental Music ( (167)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Bama @ Tennessee
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Anybody just have that &q
Turtle Beach
Miss St vs. Kentucky
Where in Seattle
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Name a Gamecock

Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
rnecavs07
Starter

Male

NIT Bracket Champion: Awarded for taking first in the NIT Bracket Challene - Given for: NIT Bracket Champion 
CockyCash: 753
rnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot materialrnecavs07 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to rnecavs07 Send a message via Yahoo to rnecavs07
Default any gymrats?

I am looking for help to gain mass, I workout daily and take protein just cant figure out how to gain weight. If you can help and need more info on how I have been eating/working out let me know. I really want to get back up to 195, 6'3'' at 160 just isn't working. If someone can legit help me I'll be grateful.Ill gladly pm you any info to assist you in more information.
rnecavs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material
Default Re: any gymrats?

What are you doing besides protein and eating? What's a typical day of meals look like?
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

Just general stuff as I work at a gym (accounting) and workout about 4 times a week, but still not a gymrat and not an expert or anything, but I can relate to your story.

I graduated college in 2009 still weighing 155lbs and I am also 6'3. After my dad passed away that fall I got really serious into health and fitness for a while as a release. I focused on compound exersizes to build mass (Squats, Bench press, deadlifts, cleans, pullups, etc)

People of our build really have to try hard to put on mass and that means you are going to have to really eat. I know you probably think you eat a lot as I did too, but I put myself on a 4,500 calorie a day diet and made sure to lift heavy 3-4 times a week doing low reps and going for volume (5-6 sets).

You need to keep track of every single thing you eat and drink and log it (there are plenty of apps out there that can help you with this on a smartphone) to make sure you are hitting your food goals that day and also entering in your lifts so it can keep track of how many calories you are buurning too. Just a note it's easy to get to 4,500 calories eating junk, but i'm sure that's not how you want to do it. You are going to be eating when you aren't hungry on healthy foods just to meet your goals

(cans of tuna, grilled chicken breast, eggs, nuts, all kinds of fruit, broccili, etc)

Be sure to get plenty of sleep too. Eat a big breakfast and afterwards drink a shake, bring some healthy snaks to work and eat them throughout the day while drinking tons of water, healthy lunch of chicken breast, veggies, and then protein shake before and after workout, healthy dinner, and then a casein protein shake before bed

Those are just some things I did I didn't always eat healthy as I was ok with adding a bit of fat to get to my goal and then change my diet and cut some once I got to my goal weight. I now weigh 190 but I did this in 2009 and got up to 190 by the end of 2010. I now just kinda maintain and don't train as hard or eat as healthy as I did then
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
PSKcock
makin' da vids

Male

CockyCash: 1260
PSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot materialPSKcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnecavs07 View Post
I am looking for help to gain mass, I workout daily and take protein just cant figure out how to gain weight. If you can help and need more info on how I have been eating/working out let me know. I really want to get back up to 195, 6'3'' at 160 just isn't working. If someone can legit help me I'll be grateful.Ill gladly pm you any info to assist you in more information.

You'll need to find what works for your body. In order to do that you'll need to start tracking what you're putting into your body - total caloric intake, proteins, fats, etc...

What that will do is let you know what your body needs. If you're taking in 3,000 calories and 100g of protein a day but still not seeing any gains (assuming you're lifting heavy and with proper technique), then you can move up to 3,500 and 120g and see the difference. You'll have to find what works for you, but you'll need to be eating a LOT.

Some eating tricks:

- Pre-cooked meals (8oz Chicken, cup of brown rice and 4oz broccoli is a staple)

- Healthy snacks in-between meals (Peanut butter on rice cakes is a great one)

- Schedule meals. It doesn't matter if you're hungry or not, you'll know you need to eat if you get a reminder on your phone.

Oh and remember, fat isn't the enemy...sugar is the enemy.

All that said, the best workout advice I've ever heard was from the great poet Xzibit:

"Lift some weights, eat some steaks."
PSKcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
Just general stuff as I work at a gym (accounting) and workout about 4 times a week, but still not a gymrat and not an expert or anything, but I can relate to your story.

I graduated college in 2009 still weighing 155lbs and I am also 6'3. After my dad passed away that fall I got really serious into health and fitness for a while as a release. I focused on compound exersizes to build mass (Squats, Bench press, deadlifts, cleans, pullups, etc)

People of our build really have to try hard to put on mass and that means you are going to have to really eat. I know you probably think you eat a lot as I did too, but I put myself on a 4,500 calorie a day diet and made sure to lift heavy 3-4 times a week doing low reps and going for volume (5-6 sets).

You need to keep track of every single thing you eat and drink and log it (there are plenty of apps out there that can help you with this on a smartphone) to make sure you are hitting your food goals that day and also entering in your lifts so it can keep track of how many calories you are buurning too. Just a note it's easy to get to 4,500 calories eating junk, but i'm sure that's not how you want to do it. You are going to be eating when you aren't hungry on healthy foods just to meet your goals

(cans of tuna, grilled chicken breast, eggs, nuts, all kinds of fruit, broccili, etc)

Be sure to get plenty of sleep too. Eat a big breakfast and afterwards drink a shake, bring some healthy snaks to work and eat them throughout the day while drinking tons of water, healthy lunch of chicken breast, veggies, and then protein shake before and after workout, healthy dinner, and then a casein protein shake before bed

Those are just some things I did I didn't always eat healthy as I was ok with adding a bit of fat to get to my goal and then change my diet and cut some once I got to my goal weight. I now weigh 190 but I did this in 2009 and got up to 190 by the end of 2010. I now just kinda maintain and don't train as hard or eat as healthy as I did then
6' 3" 155 lbs? Man, y'all are beanstalks!

Pretty much everything that was said here is spot on. This is the best advice you will get without having a personal trainer or dietician. Eat healthy, eat often, consume lots of protein and water. Oh and lift heavy of course.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Follow BroScience on YouTube. You will learn everything you want to know.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

google Stuart McRobert and read what he puts out - gospel for "hardgainers" - which you are.

in short, eat when you're not hungry and focus on heavy, multi-joint movements while getting enough rest. i can pm more if u want.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

eat peanut butter sandwiches..no jelly..eat the shiz out of them...get some weightgainer at gnc..get good sleep..do heavy lifting..no light shit with lots of reps..don't do too much cardio..you will gain weight then..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnecavs07 View Post
6'3'' at 160

Holy crap dude, what's your PR in the 800? 1:48?

I bet you can run a 4:12 mile
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
southerntramp
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
southerntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudlysoutherntramp is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
eat peanut butter sandwiches..no jelly..eat the shiz out of them...get some weightgainer at gnc..get good sleep..do heavy lifting..no light shit with lots of reps..don't do too much cardio..you will gain weight then..
I did this to the letter...added a banana on PB....my HS coach told me this...worked like hell in gym...usually 3 sets of 5 on major body parts and heavy...was relentless...and it worked...full ride to college. 6'4 290lbs

Now I'm totally different....lots of running, swimming, high reps and lower weight 10 to 12 reps...run marathons, halfs, etc...can't believe I have a 6 pack at 44 years old. 6'4 210lbs (want 10 to 15 more off)
southerntramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntramp View Post
I did this to the letter...added a banana on PB....my HS coach told me this...worked like hell in gym...usually 3 sets of 5 on major body parts and heavy...was relentless...and it worked...full ride to college. 6'4 290lbs

Now I'm totally different....lots of running, swimming, high reps and lower weight 10 to 12 reps...run marathons, halfs, etc...can't believe I have a 6 pack at 44 years old. 6'4 210lbs (want 10 to 15 more off)
.... then why is your name southerntramp ....

kind of... weird if you ask me.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I'm a trainer. There is no secret to gaining weight. You have to intake more calories than you expend. Find your daily caloric requirement(not just BMR) and eat 300-500 calories above that.

Lift heavy and eat to get big. There is no secret. Everything else is just BS.

Don't be afraid to gain some fat. You have to add some fat to gain muscle mass. Unless you're a freak haha.