CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
GamecockMomSC
Cockhornleghorn
2000grad
ZenUSC
Captain9Dragons
JaxcockFL
We Have to Pass (1748)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1342)
Spurrier weekly pres (1270)
This would be awesom (851)
How is Shaq Davidson (674)
McConaughey cast as (402)
Perspective on our g (359)
Defense and offense (292)
Black Friday Hard Co (244)
SEC referees? (225)
We Have to Pass
Currently 2nd in attendan
Why has there been 40 yea
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 Commitment - Marquav
2015 - Daniel Fennell
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred

Old 08-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default COCKYTALK FALL PRACTICE REPORT: 8/3/14

Fall Practice Report 8/3/14: Practice #3

It was an interesting night to say the least. The offense and defense were mouthing at each other pretty much from the time they came onto the field until coach Spurrier blew the whistle to stop practice. The team was in shells today and that allowed for a little more contact than the previous workouts and it led to some “spirted” action that exploded during the 11 on 11. There were a few late shots and some mouthing between players during the skels along with some extra bumping and shoving after several plays. During the full team drills the offense and defense were like cheering each other on when one of the groups got the better of the other during the individual plays. Sometime shortly towards the end of the practice the offense ran a running play to Shon Carson who broke off a nice run of about 25-30 yards. Right after the coaches blew the whistle to end the play a group of about 4 players ended up shoving and swinging at each other over on the far sideline right under the camera tower at mid field of both practice fields. It led to about half of the team going at it with a couple of pretty ugly looking fights going on in the middle of all of it, with players on the ground and swinging away at each other. The coaches finally got a handle on it and resumed practice, but on the next play, Dylan threw a long pass downfield to Shaq Roland who was guarded by Al Harris Jr. The ball was in the air and Shaq got a couple of steps behind Harris, when Al grabbed Shaq and pulled him down to the ground. The ref threw the flag for interference but Harris ran up to Roland and got facemask to facemask and they were yelling at each other walking back to the line. Harris walked away but Roland wasn’t finished, and walked over to Harris and gave him an extra shove, knocking the ball out of his hands and several of the other players had to step in and separate them. It looked like order had been restored for about five minutes worth of plays then Carson broke up the middle clean on another running play and just as the whistle blew to stop the play, TJ Gurley ran up to Carson and put a shoulder in his chest and knocked him backwards and off his feet. Both benches sides started towards each other as if it were going to be a full team brawl, but Coach Spurrier got in the middle of it, blew the whistle and ended the practice. When I left the field he had the team at the North goal line running sprints. I would imagine those were going to be going on for quiet a while tonight.

BUT ANYWAY…. Let’s get down to the actual practice update

Again tonight, Mike Davis and Busta Anderson ran reps during team drills and warmed up with the team but they were still wearing the yellow jersey and did not participate in the game situation drills. Jacob August had his yellow jersey taken off tonight, and he had a really nice workout at the starting TE spot in place of Busta. The other players who were wearing yellow last night remained out of practice and most did light running and stationary bike work.

Special Teams:
I got to see some of the field goal kickers work tonight and as no surprise, Elliott Fry is without competition for that job. He was his normal spot on from inside the 35 yard line. Don’t know if that’s still about his limit as he didn’t go beyond kicking 42 yards tonight, but the kicks he attempted there cleared with enough room to possibly get another 4-5 yards out of it if he needed to. That has pretty much been the limit of his range last season and this spring. Landon Ard is probably the closest thing Elliott has to any competition but Ard is just very inconsistent with his range and accuracy.
Tyler Hull is still doing the leader of the punters and has pretty much secured his starting spot with three strong showings in practice so far. The only thing I see that might make it a competition for the job this fall would be if during any of the scrimmages the next few weeks, Tyler falls back into this inconsistent and below average kicking. Right now he is looking very impressive in both his distance and his hangtime.

Quarterbacks:
Dylan Thompson didn’t necessarily have a bad night throwing the ball, but it wasn’t one of his better showings of his work the past few days and from last spring. He got into a rhythm during skels when he and Connor Mitch were alternating reps and both guys were firing some really nice mid range passes hitting several different players pretty much in the middle of the field. Neither of them looked particularly sharp during one on ones where the defenders had the better showing of the units tonight. Connor did a decent job later in the skels before all hell broke loose, but Dylan struggled a little bit missing three or four deeper passes where his man was open and he also fumbled a couple of snaps from center. Brendon Nosovitch was still taking some reps at QB but ……. well, to put it honestly, he had a bad showing. I don’t know what Coach Spurrier or Mangus has for a depth Chart right now, but IMO, it would Dylan, Connor, then Scarnecchia and after that, Orth would get the nod. Noso is getting some reps as a “morphed” TE/WR and that might be his best shot at seeing PT as a Gamecock.

Running Backs:
Right now, coach Spurrier has Shon Carson as the Number one back. I haven’t heard anybody say, but I didn’t see Wilds on the field tonight. Not sure what’s up with that, or if I just missed his number, but I didn’t see him with a single rep or notice his number with the RBs tonight. Williams got a lot of reps from the second unit and had a good showing tonight although he did drop a well set up screen pass from Orth in the 11 on 11 that would have gone a long ways had he held on to it. He had an open field and lots of blockers in front of him. Those are the plays (even in practice) that make fans cringe knowing “it was there” !

WRs / Tight Ends:
As mentioned, Jacob August got back on the field and has an excellent practice for himself. He is the guy that had a strong showing early this past spring and then came up hurt for the remaining last week or so of the spring. He was like a bigger version of Busta Anderson when he was a freshman player and showed out in a couple of scrimmages and made everyone go “Who is this guy, and where in the hell did he come from”! August was one of the guys that was getting some balls thrown to him during that shootout in skels between Thompson and Mitch. He along with Deebo Samuel, Damiere Byrd and Drew Owens were finding those open seams in the middle of the zone, and both QBs were taking turns connecting with them. Shaq had an “OK” night, but he got outplayed by the secondary a little bit tonight. He caught some balls early on in the one on ones, but in the game situation drills he had a little trouble getting separated from the defender and had balls knocked away from him on a few occasions. Deebo has a strong showing in both the skels and 11 on 11. His best work of the early practice season so far. Pharoh Cooper caught a couple of passes during the skels but had a quiet practice overall.

O/Line:
Right now the staring lineup hasn’t changed since this spring and right now it is a group that looks like they are going to be a strong run blocking team. That’s the impression I got tonight with the way Carson and Williams kept breaking through the line untouched. Malik Young has worked his way up to second unit, and is getting reps as both at Guard and Right Tackle. I heard coach Elliott talking to someone over on the side as I came in tonight and they were talking about his group this season. He was saying that Malik had a lot of potential to become a really good player and is a guy who is “teachable”. I liked hearing that as I had the pleasure of meeting Malik a couple of months ago. Extremely nice young man and he was very excited to be playing for Coach Elliott and the Gamecocks. I hope he does get the chance to play a lot and start in the future.

D/Line:
The front right now looks like it has been established with Surratt in the middle, English and Dixon at the Ends and Occasionally Gerald Dixon Jr in as an additional Tackle when they run a four man front. Mason Harris is up to second unit weak side End along with Either Cedrick Cooper or David Johnson.

Linebackers:
Sharrod Golightly had a great practice tonight. He was all over the place making some nice pass deflections or just took away the short route from his man. He and Jordan Diggs who also had a strong practice today shut down the checks and flat pass routes and forced the Quarterbacks to have to pull the ball down an run several times during skels and 11 on 11. Brison Allen Williams was still working with the first unit defense and had a quiet practice tonight along with Skai Moore. I think they weren’t so much having off nights as it was Sharrod and Diggs were just eating up everything in the middle area of the field.

Secondary:
Good showing for this group tonight, although they were also the group that seemed to be instigating most of the fireworks that ended the practice tonight. I’m not placing blame on them for starting it because it could have stemmed from something the offensive guys did earlier in practice or that the defense just got tired of the smack talk, but the defensive guys were constantly bumping or shoving after the plays were blown dead and were the ones who were the loudest “junk talkers” when the plays were over. Wes Green had a good strong showing and Al Harris (other than the one grab that almost started another brawl) was having an excellent practice too. Brison Williams had another good night and pretty much had to play the peacemaker role, separating his team mates after they tangled with an offensive player. Kad Marcus closed well on a couple of passes and ended up deflecting the ball away from those defenders. I think Kad was one of the guys who was doing the most swinging and throwing punches in that first big blow up. After it settled down, he went over to the offensive side of the line and was shaking hands with all the Offense and patted some shoulder pads. His way maybe of saying “everything is cool”.
It didn’t stay cool for long though.

More Tomorrow
Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
carolina_corpsman
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudlycarolina_corpsman is crowing loudly
Default Re: COCKYTALK FALL PRACTICE REPORT: 8/3/14

First of all, LOVE the practice updates. It makes those of us so far from Carolina Football get a glimpse of whats going on.

Second, I like to hear there is a little bit of emotion on the team, as long as they can keep it healthy and direct it towards the opposition. I hope to see some heads rolling off A&M players in a few weeks if they keep this up!
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
First of all, LOVE the practice updates. It makes those of us so far from Carolina Football get a glimpse of whats going on.

Second, I like to hear there is a little bit of emotion on the team, as long as they can keep it healthy and direct it towards the opposition. I hope to see some heads rolling off A&M players in a few weeks if they keep this up!
I didn't like seeing Harris Jr grab Shaq like that from behind and brought out
the penalty, but I like that he got in Roland's face and wasn't backing down
from a heated exchange. We are going to need one or more of the freshmen
playing a lot (maybe even starting at some point) in the secondary and
Harris is the guy who seems to be "growing a set" right now. It'll take
that kind of emotion to play with the best in this conference.... he'll just
need to temper his emotions and not get his team in a bind with stupid
penalties like that.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I didn't see Adams or Dukes in any of the Media Day photos. I wonder if they were at practice.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #5
InletCock1989
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Sounds like a few DJ's out there!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
InletCock1989
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Is Abu hurt? How about Lammons? Smith?
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
garnetchicken
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 550
garnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot materialgarnetchicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I didn't see Adams or Dukes in any of the Media Day photos. I wonder if they were at practice.

Spurt I noticed Wilds in the photo gallery from tonight too.

Last edited by garnetchicken; 08-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.
garnetchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Love hearing that Harris Jr is getting chatty. Takes confidence and our DB's need confidence
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #9
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

normally i love to see the spirited practices, where some dust gets kicked up, but that sounds like it was getting well out of hand.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Is Abu hurt? How about Lammons? Smith?
Abu had a slight hamstring pull in the first practice and has been wearing
the yellow jersey the past two days. Lammons is fine, just not standing
out right now. DJ Smith hasn't worked out so far with the team. He had
some dental surgery before practices started and they're holding him out
for right now. He's been at the practice field bust hasn't worked out with
the team yet
Old 08-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetchicken View Post
Spurt I noticed Wilds in the photo gallery from tonight too.
Thanks for posting ... I must have just missed seeing him. Not sure why
he was given low rep (or no reps ) during the skels or 11 on 11. He usually
stands out during that part of practice.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
normally i love to see the spirited practices, where some dust gets kicked up, but that sounds like it was getting well out of hand.
Same here. I think something else was going on with a few of the players
prior to practice starting. They were mouthy at each other coming in the
gates, and it escalated during practice. I think Kad Marcus and Shaq
Roland were in the center of it. Those two were going at each other
pretty good with words all night. Someone on the sidelines mentioned that
Roland was a guy that loved to try to push guy's buttons. I don't know
if he started it, or if this is something that had been building up for a few
days. That first big flare up was not just two players getting some emotions
out of their system. That one and the shot TJ gave Carson at the end
were out of context for this team.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
cocknthrow
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
cocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talonscocknthrow has developed his gaff and talons

Great job, Spurt. Keep it up.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Thanks spurt
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #15
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I believe it was Larenz Bryant that laid out Carson. At least that is what the pay sites said.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Great work as usual, Spurt. If you do not already do this for a living, you missed your calling.

CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Yea I heard it was Bryant that hit Carson too. And Spurrier kicked him out of practice. Even thought it was basically over
Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
ScottK
Blue Chip

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Pretty funny considering just yesterday Spurrier was talking about how well everyone got along and liked each other.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I don't think anyone should be surprised by this since all things considered it seems the offense was getting the best of the defense the first 2 practices (without pads). This sounds like it was just the defense letting loose some frustration.

This is also what happens when you bring in better athletes, better players, and especially players that come from winning high school programs that hate losing at anything.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #20
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

Thanx for report Spurt.........
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote