CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
garnet_black215
CockyRyan
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
Spurticus
GamecockSuperFan
Regalcock
MWard
WeStillOwnUSC
Clemson Recruiting.. (3639)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1616)
Ranking the Opposing (1522)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1313)
Not a Rival.. (1114)
Gamecock Coaches as (985)
NCAA Football 15 (606)
Hello Gamecocks! (574)
Marching band (497)
John Rocker at rock (479)
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
2015 - Mon Denson
Green and Lammons
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Gurley or Davis
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Galaxy vs Seatle
John Rocker at rock botto

Old 07-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 397
cockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his comb
Send a message via AIM to cockattorney2
Default Cockytalk Cyclists.... 7/19 ride

group from Columbia is going to go ride in the mountains on Saturday 7/19.

if anyone is interested in joining, please PM me and I'll pass along details.
cockattorney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cockytalk Cyclists.... 7/19 ride

I think it would be helpful to know if it will be THIS type of "ride in the mountains"...

...or THIS type of "cycling in the mountains"

Then again it could be THIS

spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

cockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his combcockattorney2 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I think it would be helpful to know if it will be THIS type of "ride in the mountains"...

...or THIS type of "cycling in the mountains"

Then again it could be THIS

haha. yeah, that might help. Will be the first type only much, much slower.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Really? You must be pretty damn good then... even at slow speeds that is impressive
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Really? You must be pretty damn good then... even at slow speeds that is impressive
actually, parts will be at higher speeds, though not as high as those in your pic.... I am NOT the descender ANY of the guys in the pro peleton is.... and parts will be much, much slower than any of them would go up the same section of roadway... MUCH slower.

then again, Blue Ridge mtns are a tad bit easier than the Alps, too......
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

I want to ride on the Paris Roubaix, that looks fun as hell. Of course it probably hurts. I am watching the tour a lot this year
Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

I agree, that would be fun as hell but also would likely kill me. And, yes, tour this year has been fun so far and they haven't even hit the mountains yet. Tour time is always a good time. Helps pass July so we can get on to football season, too!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

I don't know if I agree with a cobble stage in the tour
Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

I kinda like it. As others around have said, it's part of the history of France and of the Tour and we want to get the BEST all around rider, not just best climber who can sit in on the sprint stages. Granted, the fact it was just plain nasty out added a bit to it.... but, Nibali showed some nifty bike handling skills to get through it and excel.

Seems the majority of the crashes happened before they ever got to the cobbles.... wet, slick roads, tailwind driving up speeds... recipe for disaster.

Do you ride? and, where in Columbia are you?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

You made a good point, it brings variety. Different skills.

Dude I'm not in your league. I aspire to picture #3 but I'm more like picture #2. Bad knee.

I'm in Winston Salem all summer. Check this place out:
http://www.cycletherapybikes.com/
Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
You made a good point, it brings variety. Different skills.

Dude I'm not in your league. I aspire to picture #3 but I'm more like picture #2. Bad knee.

I'm in Winston Salem all summer. Check this place out:
http://www.cycletherapybikes.com/
looks like pretty good variety at that shop. my younger brother works for BB&T in W-S. He's in computer network stuff.

As for the riding... I'm not the snobby version of #1. To me, the more the merrier. I do quite a bit of #2 also but typically around northeast Columbia and I have no aspirations for #3... far too timid and prefer my skull stay intact. :) As for the rest... #1 is easier on the knees than #3.... just sayin' :)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

I definitely can tell that you're not the snobby version, because the snobby version would never have created a thread inviting people
Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I definitely can tell that you're not the snobby version, because the snobby version would never have created a thread inviting people
LOL! well, in all honesty, I'm hoping to get some folks slower than me so I get a good rest at the top of the hills....

a couple guys I ride with have Focus bikes, btw. They look sharp... no idea how they ride but they seem to like them. I have a couple Cervelos now that are my go-to bikes and a Scott mountain bike that doesn't get out nearly enough.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I had a triathlon practice ride today after spending at least a hard hour in the pool, the only thing I learned was how to keep the cadence up was keep saying out loud was I HATE HILLS.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Do you guys advocate two or more bicyclists riding side by side on a road, making it impossible for the car driver to overtake you until he overtakes on your terms?

Just curious how you felt about bike riders making it difficult for car drivers to overtake on public roads...
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #16
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Do you guys advocate two or more bicyclists riding side by side on a road, making it impossible for the car driver to overtake you until he overtakes on your terms?

Just curious how you felt about bike riders making it difficult for car drivers to overtake on public roads...
Mixed feelings on this because I have ridden where car drivers don't give you enough space between the bike and the car literally if I stuck my hand out I would have had it ripped off by a car. I don't like having cars riding on my rear wheel but also don't like getting run off the road, had several close calls where I was shoved into the rough shoulder and even into the grass.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #17
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

Quote:

That really depends on road conditions. If there is not room for a car to safely pass then the cyclists riding two abreast (which is perfectly legal btw) is for both their and the car's safety. Also if a large group of cyclists then riding two abreast may make it easier and safer for a car to pass since the line, while wider, will be half as long. This car will be in oncoming traffic lane only half as long also.

Most groups however, depending on size, will typically move to single file when a car is approaching from behind. Most of us aren't out there to impede traffic. We are traffic. Just think of the cyclists as a slower driver. Oftentimes we will take the lane more when there is not room for the car to safely overtake. Such as where there are islands and such.

Drivers need to remember that if they cannot safely pass giving at least three feet of room to the cyclist then the law says that they must just wait behind. Trust me though, when I am riding, I much prefer a car to get in around but inky when it is safe for both the car and me. If the car guesses wrong on how much space it is likely to get scratched. However, the cyclist's family is likely to be heading to the hospital or much much worse. So it really is a safety issue. Not a personal thing "hey here comes a driver let's slow him down for miles". Trust me that thought never enters our minds. Most cyclists are also drivers. And, realistically, how long have you really been stuck behind cyclists? Thirty seconds? One minute? Isn't that little bit of time worth waiting to avoid potentially killing someone?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #18
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockattorney2 View Post
That really depends on road conditions. If there is not room for a car to safely pass then the cyclists riding two abreast (which is perfectly legal btw) is for both their and the car's safety. Also if a large group of cyclists then riding two abreast may make it easier and safer for a car to pass since the line, while wider, will be half as long. This car will be in oncoming traffic lane only half as long also.

Most groups however, depending on size, will typically move to single file when a car is approaching from behind. Most of us aren't out there to impede traffic. We are traffic. Just think of the cyclists as a slower driver. Oftentimes we will take the lane more when there is not room for the car to safely overtake. Such as where there are islands and such.

Drivers need to remember that if they cannot safely pass giving at least three feet of room to the cyclist then the law says that they must just wait behind. Trust me though, when I am riding, I much prefer a car to get in around but inky when it is safe for both the car and me. If the car guesses wrong on how much space it is likely to get scratched. However, the cyclist's family is likely to be heading to the hospital or much much worse. So it really is a safety issue. Not a personal thing "hey here comes a driver let's slow him down for miles". Trust me that thought never enters our minds. Most cyclists are also drivers. And, realistically, how long have you really been stuck behind cyclists? Thirty seconds? One minute? Isn't that little bit of time worth waiting to avoid potentially killing someone?
Where I live it's a hotspot for cyclists. They do it all the time. Even if it's just two of them and the roads are rural, meaning it's hard to pass because of all the curves.

I have to side with the drivers on this if it's just two or three cyclists. Get over and ride single freaking file. Let the cars pass safely. I was nearly hit yesterday head on by another car because the bikes wouldn't get over. The car got impatient and overtook before the curve. Guess who was coming around the curve from the opposite direction? Me. If I hadn't been expecting it,and I was, I wouldn't have been going 15 under the speed limit. It was a sunny, hot day and there were bikes all over the road. I'd be in the hospital or morgue today if I was doing the speed limit around that bend yesterday.

I say if they want to ride side by side, make them pay road tax. Just like a motor vehicle. That would make them ride single file. If it's a competition, that's a different story.

WTS, I've been a cyclist all my life. However, I use common sense when I'm on the road on a bike. Do whatever you can to let the motors pass safely.

Didn't mean to get off topic. Hope you guys have a blast and make a lot of friends. Most importantly, stay safe!
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
cockattorney2
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Where I live it's a hotspot for cyclists. They do it all the time. Even if it's just two of them and the roads are rural, meaning it's hard to pass because of all the curves.

I have to side with the drivers on this if it's just two or three cyclists. Get over and ride single freaking file. Let the cars pass safely. I was nearly hit yesterday head on by another car because the bikes wouldn't get over. The car got impatient and overtook before the curve. Guess who was coming around the curve from the opposite direction? Me. If I hadn't been expecting it,and I was, I wouldn't have been going 15 under the speed limit. It was a sunny, hot day and there were bikes all over the road. I'd be in the hospital or morgue today if I was doing the speed limit around that bend yesterday.

I say if they want to ride side by side, make them pay road tax. Just like a motor vehicle. That would make them ride single file. If it's a competition, that's a different story.

WTS, I've been a cyclist all my life. However, I use common sense when I'm on the road on a bike. Do whatever you can to let the motors pass safely.

Didn't mean to get off topic. Hope you guys have a blast and make a lot of friends. Most importantly, stay safe!
as a cyclist, then you should understand that on such a curvy, windy road, that's kinda WHY they ride two abreast. LOTS of times, it isn't safe for a car to be passing in that situation, so side by side keeps MOST cars from even trying to pass then. As you said, you almost got hit head on. That was NOT the cyclists' fault... sole fault for that would rest on the impatient driver who could wait til they could safely see to make a safe pass. Same thing goes for other slow moving vehicles/farm equipment/mopeds/etc. Drivers need to understand that if they want minimum speeds to be maintained, they need to stay on the interstates. Otherwise, please slow down and let's keep everyone safe.

As for the tax idea, if it could be based on damage to the roads, then sure... of course, then cyclists would be paying about a dime a year since 200 lbs of bike does a LOT less to mess up the roadways than 2000+ lb cars and trucks. Not to mention cyclists typically put in fewer miles than cars. AND, most road funds come from sales taxes and other taxes and fees, not gas taxes, so, pretty much all cyclists are already paying those taxes too. AND most cyclists are also car/truck drivers, so they've already paid their share that way, too.

There is a reason the law allows two abreast and it even allows just one cyclist to ride in the middle of the lane if necessary too. There are certain sections of road where it is unsafe for a car to overtake the cyclist and in those instances the cyclist is well within his/her rights to take the lane.

I'm with you, I do try to be a courteous cyclist as well as driver. If there isn't room, don't pass. I use hand signals to let the cars know my intentions and get right when possible/safe to do so. FAR too many roads in SC have the stupid rumble strips now which makes it where the cyclists can't move over as far as we'd like sometimes to give a little more room for the cars to get around. Blame SCDOT for that one. Drivers can't keep their car centered on the roadways so they do those which makes it worse for all. Shouldn't we be more worried about cars crossing the centerline unintentionally and put the rumble strips there?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

There are also those idiots who ride bikes against traffic it usually those drunks who cannot afford a car going to the gas station to get beer that gives the cyclists a bad name.